Papa Johns pulls funding from Louisville AD | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Papa Johns pulls funding from Louisville AD

Reaction Score
I never mentioned a name and never about misappropriation of funds. Just failure to pursue a vital quest to its successful conclusion. Very costly error at that time.
So you don't lay any fault in UConn's failure to become a P-5 school at that a s s clown Hathaway? You are ignorant as far as the day is long!

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Wanna bet? What happened at UNC, Penn State, and Baylor was of course bad and was big time fodder for the NCAA to look into, but when money is involved, misuse of funds, almost $100 million dollars paid out to like 30 people in the AD and the foundation, outright raiding the schools endowment money, disbanding the board because some brave souls asked questions.... that's something that will have a paper trail, and is something the FBI can sink it's teeth into. There's a big difference to be being investigated by the NCAA and the FBI. If people start hiring attorneys and pleading the 5th, Swofford would recommend dropping Louisville like a hot potato, and I would bet several schools would vote yes just to contain the damage.
No offense but I'd think more schools would be embarrassed by what's coming out of Baylor then Louisville yet I don't see any Big 12 schools lining up to give them the boot. Louisville is safe in the ACC as is every other P5 school. Paper trail or not, it won't matter in terms of their P5 status. Every university has their skeletons in the closet.

Reaction Score
So you don't lay any fault in UConn's failure to become a P-5 school at that a s s clown Hathaway? You are ignorant as far as the day is long!
I think many people are at fault, but the missed opportunity in 2012 was the one that doomed UConn. Both he and she dropped the ball. They had it in hand and the let it slip away because they were overconfident and Jurich pulled the rug out from under them.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I think many people are at fault, but the missed opportunity in 2012 was the one that doomed UConn. Both he and she dropped the ball. They had it in hand and the let it slip away because they were overconfident and Jurich pulled the rug out from under them.

I disagree, to a certain extent. My guess is that Clemson and FSU threatened to leave if a football worthy school wasn't added and Tobacco Road bit. The ACC would cease being the conference they are if their two main football schools got up and left. The blame for UConn not being in the ACC lies squarely on FSU and Clemson.

Reaction Score

I disagree, to a certain extent. My guess is that Clemson and FSU threatened to leave if a football worthy school wasn't added and Tobacco Road bit. The ACC would cease being the conference they are if their two main football schools got up and left. The blame for UConn not being in the ACC lies squarely on FSU and Clemson.

@buddy the reasoning of dayooper is dead on from what I heard out of Storrs. it also was explained to me that the lack of investment into the facilities in addition to a piss poor coaching hire to replace Edsall by Hathaway allowed Jurich and Louisville to pass UConn by. You can blame Manuel all you want...was he perfect nope...but the guy who he replaced that was at the helm of UConn Athletics for 8 years is the reason why UConn isn't a P-5 school more than Warde Manuel is. But then again go on believing your ignorant bull because it does make for a GREA story!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
For the louisville expansion, I'd agree, though it was them exclusively. For the Syracuse/Pitt expansion it was DeFillipo.

Reaction Score
If the ACC had left UL for the taking and had taken us instead, they'd have exposed UL and Cincinnati for the Big 12 to take. The Big 12's mortal miatake, if it does collapse, will be not taking UL. That might have been enough to entice FSU and Clemson to join.

dayooper

Reaction Score
If the ACC had left UL for the taking and had taken us instead, they'd have exposed UL and Cincinnati for the Big 12 to take. The Big 12's mortal miatake, if it does collapse, will be not taking UL. That might have been enough to entice FSU and Clemson to join.

Absolutely! The ACC (and ESPN) effectively cut off the Big12 at the knees when they took UL. It left no good partner for Cincinnati. Although UConn would make a great partner to Cincinnati from an athletic and academic position, you all to the Big12 was always awkward from a geography sense. I know you would have taken an invite to the Big12, but it really didn't make sense to me.

Reaction Score
No offense but I'd think more schools would be embarrassed by what's coming out of Baylor then Louisville yet I don't see any Big 12 schools lining up to give them the boot. Louisville is safe in the ACC as is every other P5 school. Paper trail or not, it won't matter in terms of their P5 status. Every university has their skeletons in the closet.
What you're saying is that being investigated by the NCAA is the same as being investigated by the FBI. You're totally clueless, schools might be embarrassed by an NCAA investigation but an FBI investigation is when embarrassment turns to worry and conference officials circle the wagons. There's a big difference between NCAA sanctions for recruiting parties and jail time for embezzlement and fraud.

dayooper

Reaction Score
What you're saying is that being investigated by the NCAA is the same as being investigated by the FBI. You're totally clueless, schools might be embarrassed by an NCAA investigation but an FBI investigation is when embarrassment turns to worry and conference officials circle the wagons. There's a big difference between NCAA sanctions for recruiting parties and jail time for embezzlement and fraud.

Jail time for embezzlement is bad. Institutionalized cover up of sexual assault, hazing where football players were to sexually assault female students, bringing in players that were known risks for sexual assault on covering up of murder would be worse, in my humble opinion. I know some of that hasn't been proven in court yet, but it still looks very bad.

Anything that encourages prospective students from not going to your school is bad. I wouldn't let my daughter go near near Baylor. My guess is that many parents feel the same way. Does embezzlement have that same effect?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Well since I'm clueless you can just let me know when Louisville gets kicked out. I'm done with this argument as you've clearly decided you are right and that's it.

Reaction Score
Absolutely! The ACC (and ESPN) effectively cut off the Big12 at the knees when they took UL. It left no good partner for Cincinnati. Although UConn would make a great partner to Cincinnati from an athletic and academic position, you all to the Big12 was always awkward from a geography sense. I know you would have taken an invite to the Big12, but it really didn't make sense to me.
I am actually kind of surprised they didn't add UL and UC to go along with WVU.

dayooper

Reaction Score
I am actually kind of surprised they didn't add UL and UC to go along with WVU.

Yes, but the deal was getting paid as a 12 team conference with only 10 teams. Adding UL and UC would have sliced off money from the media deal. WVU was willing to move early and they were the choice. Still very awkward being that far out.

Reaction Score
Yes, but the deal was getting paid as a 12 team conference with only 10 teams. Adding UL and UC would have sliced off money from the media deal. WVU was willing to move early and they were the choice. Still very awkward being that far out.
Doesn't matter. If Big 12 implodes, and it doesn't necessarily have to, this will be viewed as being very short-sighted by most of the remaining schools.

Big 12's footprint looks like a failed attempt to expand eastward.

Reaction Score
Regardless of what is put out publicly by the conference, the majority of its members realize that it is on borrowed time. With that likely being the case they've decided to squeeze as much money out of this thing before it implodes. Adding new members was never happening. It was simply a horse and pony show put on to extort a few more dollars out of their media partners. Adding more members would have complicated things for the members eyeing a potential future move.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Doesn't matter. If Big 12 implodes, and it doesn't necessarily have to, this will be viewed as being very short-sighted by most of the remaining schools.

Big 12's footprint looks like a failed attempt to expand eastward.

The Big12, with the exception of Texas, has always been short sighted. Texas and Oklahoma knew going into this that it wouldn't last, they agreed to the deal and the GoR because they knew they could make money on the front end. Remember, six schools tried to leave in 2012 and were rebuffed by the Pac12. Oklahoma and OSU also tried to leave to the PAC12 and were also rebuffed. They knew from the beginning that the conference wasn't going to last. TTU, Baylor, OSU, KSU and ISU have no where else to go (I know there are some that feel that the SEC would take OSU on their own, but that's crazy talk). WVU and TCU needed a more stable home than what they had.

ESPN made up their mind when they gave the go ahead to include UL in the ACC. They will not get the deal they got in 2012. They are done getting paid what they are now. ESPN made their choice and the Big12 has to find out what to do in 2025.

CL82

Reaction Score
Regardless of what is put out publicly by the conference, the majority of its members realize that it is on borrowed time. With that likely being the case they've decided to squeeze as much money out of this thing before it implodes.
I agree with this, but then why not just add new members? They wouldn't dilute the TV deal, since their was and anti-dilution clause The existing Big 12 members could have taken four from the ACC and told them that they'd only get 2M a year until the end of the current contract. Easy peasy money grab.

Reaction Score
Regardless of what is put out publicly by the conference, the majority of its members realize that it is on borrowed time. With that likely being the case they've decided to squeeze as much money out of this thing before it implodes. Adding new members was never happening. It was simply a horse and pony show put on to extort a few more dollars out of their media partners. Adding more members would have complicated things for the members eyeing a potential future move.
The only place I hear about "borrowed time" and it "imploding" is on message boards. So I have my doubts. I see it happening in a few years when TV contracts expire, but until then I think the Big 12 is fairly stable.

Reaction Score
I agree with this, but then why not just add new members? They wouldn't dilute the TV deal, since their was and anti-dilution clause The existing Big 12 members could have taken four from the ACC and told them that they'd only get 2M a year until the end of the current contract. Easy peasy money grab.

I think they decided not to bite the hand that feeds them. Additionally, a GoR extension may have been involved, and unless they would have landed a money-maker, they would only be prolonging their current condition. We've already seen that they are finding it more difficult to attract top talent.

CL82

Reaction Score
I think they decided not to bite the hand that feeds them. Additionally, a GoR extension may have been involved, and unless they would have landed a money-maker, they would only be prolonging their current condition.
I agree with that first part, but if you think that your conference is going to blow up anyway, why not? ESPN had already screwed you by refusing to do a B12 network and then offering one to the ACC a few weeks later.

I don't think that a GOR extension was required for the anti-delusion clause payment step up.

Reaction Score
I agree with that first part, but if you think that your conference is going to blow up anyway, why not? ESPN had already screwed you by refusing to do a B12 network and then offering one to the ACC a few weeks later.

I don't think that a GOR extension was required for the anti-delusion clause payment step up.

I agree on the extension. Not sure if top schools would be interested without an extension however.

I went back and added the part about attracting top talent. They're playing Rich Rod'-style arena football now. Most of the talent is on offense. They may find unfavorable match-ups in the post season, and that would further hurt recruiting.

Reaction Score
I think they decided not to bite the hand that feeds them. Additionally, a GoR extension may have been involved, and unless they would have landed a money-maker, they would only be prolonging their current condition. We've already seen that they are finding it more difficult to attract top talent.
Is it just your opinion that they can't find top talent conference wide or can you cite something to back that up.

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score

I'm not disagreeing with you. But, I thought BC became territorial and blocked UConn because they wanted to be "New England's School."

Reaction Score
FSU & Clemson have always pushed for stronger football teams & Louisville fit the bill especially if you look at their record & investment since Jurich became AD. Since 1997 Uof L has won 160 games,been to 16 bowls &only had 3 losing seasons. They have state of art facilities along with the willingness to spend to compete with the big dogs

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom