Paige will make greatest come back in women's basketball | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Paige will make greatest come back in women's basketball

Reaction Score
Excuse me, but Paige beat South Carolina in her freshman year, she dominated them, scoring 31 points. Head to head, in their only meeting, Paige outplayed Caitlin in the NCAA tournament game between UConn and Iowa. She did all these things while a freshman amongst three future WNBA players, Christyn Williams, Evina Westbrook and Nelson-Ododa.
The flip side of that argument is that she did it BECAUSE, at least in part, she was surrounded by a far superior set of teammates. This argument about PB and CC is like Pi, it will go on forever!!! Personally, I have decide to just enjoy the awesomeness of both of them!!!

Reaction Score
This argument about PB and CC is like Pi, it will go on forever!!!
That's what statistics are for. After next season we'll be able to see what they did in their four years of college and make an objective comparison.

Reaction Score
The flip side of that argument is that she did it BECAUSE, at least in part, she was surrounded by a far superior set of teammates. This argument about PB and CC is like Pi, it will go on forever!!! Personally, I have decide to just enjoy the awesomeness of both of them!!!
Well Paige, a freshman, managed to outscore all of her upper class WNBA teammates and led the team in scoring for that season. Do you think if Clarke had those three on HER team she’d still be scoring 25 or 35 points points a game???? I don’t think so.

Reaction Score
That's what statistics are for. After next season we'll be able to see what they did in their four years of college and make an objective comparison.
If all goes well, we'll be able to compare their freshman and senior years. As for the other two years, we'll need some mysticism to come up with a conclusion. But here's my mystical reading of them:

Sophomore year, Paige carried her team to the NC game, so I think she wins that one. No one is under the illusion the Huskies would have made it that far without her. Junior year, Caitlin wins because Paige didn't play, and she carried her team to the NC game. Some might call those two years a wash.

Of course, I disagree about the role of statistics in such questions. I'm like Mark Twain that way. Success is what counts. If healthy Paige leads the Huskies to a dominating NC winning season, she wins regardless of the statistics. I also hope Caitlin has a tremendous season, and I'd be tickled to see her face off with Paige in the NC game. Wouldn't that be something special! Two great magicians of the court working their magic on D1 basketball!

Reaction Score
We are all hoping Paige comes back running on all cylinders....and Azzi is done with injuries. Lots of time between now and then, enjoy the wonderful weather that comes your way.

Reaction Score
If all goes well, we'll be able to compare their freshman and senior years. As for the other two years, we'll need some mysticism to come up with a conclusion. But here's my mystical reading of them:

Sophomore year, Paige carried her team to the NC game, so I think she wins that one. No one is under the illusion the Huskies would have made it that far without her. Junior year, Caitlin wins because Paige didn't play, and she carried her team to the NC game. Some might call those two years a wash.

Of course, I disagree about the role of statistics in such questions. I'm like Mark Twain that way. Success is what counts. If healthy Paige leads the Huskies to a dominating NC winning season, she wins regardless of the statistics. I also hope Caitlin has a tremendous season, and I'd be tickled to see her face off with Paige in the NC game. Wouldn't that be something special! Two great magicians of the court working their magic on D1 basketball!
I think that already happened when they were freshman, Connecticut played Iowa in the NCAA tournament. Bueckers outplayed Clarke in that game, and won the NPOY, and a couple of other awards.

Reaction Score
How exactly does Paige “know better than anyone in the land” that NCs are won by teams, not stars, especially since she has not won one? How does she know that better than Cameron Brink or Angel Reese ( who have each won one) or Caitlin or Hailey Van Lith who have been to FF but lost? I never understand how folks can make these types of absolute statements absent any fact base. Without facts, at least state it’s an opinion to which we are all entitled. Not sure why we need to constantly make Paige a deity. And yes, I am a longtime UCONN fan. When healthy (which is not often compared to other great players), she is among a handful of the most extremely talented players and in a given year selected as the best. While she shares that rarified air, she does not lord far above all the other extremely talented athletes in women’s basketball no matter how much we wish it to be true. In fact, every WNBA mock draft that I’ve seen has Clark listed first. (Yes, I understand that can easily change.)
I agree with you, with the exception of Paige has also been to the Final 4 and to the National Championship game, so the Caitlyn and Hailey Van Lith comparison is a actually a valid one.

Reaction Score

I’d like to see that too, but Iowa lost a lot losing Warnock and Cinzano. I don’t think their chances are good to make the National Championship game or the Final Four. They could get a couple players from the portal but that rests on the coaches and their ability to out recruit UConn, LSU, Stanford, or SC.

Reaction Score
The Paige / Clark comparisons are tiresome. Both players are really , really good....and are playing in two completely different systems. Most of the Iowa team would not see the floor for Geno because of their poor defense. 59 Points in one half? Its easy to look like a star on offense when you expend NO energy on defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom