Paige warming to Geno already | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Paige warming to Geno already

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
When I read this I thought of Horston at Tenn and Brunelle at N Dame. Both were heavily used early last season and looked great but they both got very worn down later in the season. Bueckers benefits from a shorter season but the pounding of college ball takes a lot out of freshmen.
At no time did Brunelle and Horston look great last season. Good, yes, but not great. Also, I believe Edwards will be one of the players UConn fans will be talking about being on the Wall of Honor and maybe have a career as productive as Bueckers' is predicted to be.

Reaction Score
On the other hand dumping high expectations on a 18-year-old can be counterproductive. It’s better to ease her in and increase her minutes and responsibilities over time.

Why?

How counter-productive was it for South Carolina last year?

I'm neutral on who starts. But in regards to minutes- sure "it can be counter-productive" but it can be "counter-productive" if you lose in an early big season game if you didn't play her as much and she was really good or as a coach you become too cautious with potential superstars. Then while you see for example South Carolina's young players tearing it up - then eventually you open up the door for other coaches/teams to get that foot in the door for the next "Stewart/Maya/DT/Bird."

Anyhow I think no way no way any comparison can be done vs the great amazing supreme Sue Bird. I'm with ya. But on the flip side not all freshmen should be treated with kid gloves early. I would think it being more "stubborn" than anything if the rule you don't budge from is "she is a frosh and my rule is no more than 20 minutes."

If she is really really really good - play her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Doesn't strike me as someone who will be coming off the bench.
IDK, even MM didn't start until the 8th game of her freshman season and we know the hype she had coming in pre-social media! That's even after her first game against Stony Brook where we all saw the greatness that was to come!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How many natties did Sabrina win again?
What's your point? Ionescu was the 1st pick in the WNBA draft. My point is that playing a lot as a freshman didn't bother her development as a top talent at all. Has nothing to do with NCs. Those are a team accomplishment.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
IDK, even MM didn't start until the 8th game of her freshman season and we know the hype she had coming in pre-social media! That's even after her first game against Stony Brook where we all saw the greatness that was to come!!

Point taken, but I just think Bueckers is different. Until I see otherwise, I firmly believe she's ready now.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just thought I would add the Geno Interview on this thread since the other shorter clips do not
have the last 20 seconds when Geno attains the same level of Rapture as he did with his "We got D and you dont"

" Tell Paige I said hi"

" Tell her people to call my people"

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Can you guess who Geno was just talking about??

1602844343565.png

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
What's your point? Ionescu was the 1st pick in the WNBA draft. My point is that playing a lot as a freshman didn't bother her development as a top talent at all. Has nothing to do with NCs. Those are a team accomplishment.
My point is that Geno has been doing this a lot of years and fairly successfully. Whatever he thinks is appropriate for Paige is fine by me. Traditionally though, Geno has eased people into the lineup when he’s had the option to do so. That has less to do with whether they can “handle it“ and more to do with what he views is the optimal way to bring them to their potential. The fact that Graves took a different approach with Sabrina is vaguely interesting, but not particularly determinative.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
My point is that Geno has been doing this a lot of years and fairly successfully. Whatever he thinks is appropriate for Paige is fine by me. Traditionally though, Geno has eased people into the lineup when he’s had the option to do so. That has less to do with whether they can “handle it“ and more to do with what he views is the optimal way to bring them to their potential. The fact that Graves took a different approach with Sabrina is vaguely interesting, but not particularly determinative.

It has been said very often that Geno's greatest gift is his insight into his players and his ability to push the right buttons to get them, to reach their best. The evidence is very clear that Geno is completely in tune with Paige and visa versa and will be played exactly as she should be.

It also appears that we are blessed with a great supporting cast of aggressive, confident, ambitious, like minded players completely fixated on winning and competing and we are just entering the next great era of UConn ball played in that unique unselfish team first style that we all love.

Of course, there is room for 'ahem' 'ahem' .

Reaction Score
It has been said very often that Geno's greatest gift is his insight into his players and his ability to push the right buttons to get them, to reach their best. The evidence is very clear that Geno is completely in tune with Paige and visa versa and will be played exactly as she should be.

It also appears that we are blessed with a great supporting cast of aggressive, confident, ambitious, like minded players completely fixated on winning and competing and we are just entering the next great era of UConn ball played in that unique unselfish team first style that we all love.

Of course, there is room for 'ahem' 'ahem' .
Like a cool drink of water. So refreshing!

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I'd take Bird over Paige any day.
A 39-year-old pro versus an 18-year-old kid?
Exactly! It’s kind of a dumb statement.

There's a fix for that. Wait 10 years, then have that one on one.
Time is always on the side of the young. :( ;)
But, for now, the old pro would school the beginner, despite her youthful energy.

Reaction Score
well have to see if Paige will be a number 1 recruit like Moore and Stewart, or will she be a number 1 like Lou, Walker, and Williams to this point.

Reaction Score
well have to see if Paige will be a number 1 recruit like Moore and Stewart, or will she be a number 1 like Lou, Walker, and Williams to this point.

Or in between.

Or - other --whatever that may be.

Reaction Score
I'd take Bird over Paige any day.
How soon they forget .... Didn't Sue just set a record for the most assists in a game AT THE AGE OF 38 .... how disrespectful that someone who hasn't played a single college game is already anointed over our most toasted point guard in our programs history with championships after championships wherever she's played.

Reaction Score
How soon they forget .... Didn't Sue just set a record for the most assists in a game AT THE AGE OF 38 .... how disrespectful that someone who hasn't played a single college game is already anointed over our most toasted point guard in our programs history with championships after championships wherever she's played.

All good points. But as I understand it, the UConn Mount Rushmore discussion is about a player's UConn career only.

Reaction Score
Yeah my original post was in response to people talking about making Paige the fourth head on UConn WBB's Mount Rushmore before she's even played her first collegiate game. It's insane how much Bird has accomplished. Bird is one of the best point guards to ever pick up a basketball. I'll be happy if Paige turns out half as good. I mean I do understand that we're just talking UConn career, and that is implied in these discussions, but so far Paige has the same number of championships and points as a dead person.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have been looking at the thread title ever since it went up and couldn't agree with it. The notion that she warmed to Geno during practice just isn't right. I would think that Paige warmed to Geno somewhere along the way in his huge number of visits to her high school games. After all the deal was closed early with Paige. She knew what she wanted and made it happen.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I love it!! Paige and Coach Geno have a great relationship. She isn't letting the "hype" get to her, she seems very levelheaded. I am looking forward to another fun amazing season.

Reaction Score

love this quote, "Hey, it's just great to be in the presence of greatness and be in her aura of her celebrity-ness," Auriemma said. "We've been such a downtrodden program for all these years, we needed that savior to come in here and save us. She's the anointed one. I'm waiting for the three Magi come to bring me some gifts for having her."

Hope one of the Magi is at least 6'4. Trick question: what's ONE Magi?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom