Paige warming to Geno already | The Boneyard

Paige warming to Geno already

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score

love this quote, "Hey, it's just great to be in the presence of greatness and be in her aura of her celebrity-ness," Auriemma said. "We've been such a downtrodden program for all these years, we needed that savior to come in here and save us. She's the anointed one. I'm waiting for the three Magi come to bring me some gifts for having her."

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
"You would think somebody that's famous, somebody that has all this would just take it for granted. She's in the gym all the time working on her game. And the kids know it. They love playing with her because when they're open, they get the ball. And when she's open, they throw it to her and she scores."

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
This is why I love Geno so much. Never loses his sardonic sense of humor. Like every other All-American to spend a few years in Storrs, methinks Bueckers will need to prove it, repeatedly, in games that count, before Geno will start singing her praises unreservedly. As it should be.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
"You would think somebody that's famous, somebody that has all this would just take it for granted. She's in the gym all the time working on her game. And the kids know it. They love playing with her because when they're open, they get the ball. And when she's open, they throw it to her and she scores."

Doesn't strike me as someone who will be coming off the bench.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Listen up Azzi. We need another Khardashian. ;)

"I go into his office all the time just to talk," Bueckers said. "Just to be able to have that open relationship where we can talk about anything and have a good relationship means a whole lot. That's huge in where I wanted to decide where I go to school is having a great relationship. I'm a big relationship person."

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Hmm. Maybe Paige will start. :D

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Another article with a more Paige perspective

“It’s going really well. I’ve just tried to come in and gain the respect of everybody, my teammates, the coaching staff and everybody that’s involved with Women’s Basketball,” Bueckers said Wednesday.” I’ve just tried to come in and I’ve tried to forget about all the high school stuff. I don’t want all of that stuff to be brought into college, so I’ve just been really enjoying the new, fresh start

Reaction Score
This is why I love Geno so much. Never loses his sardonic sense of humor. Like every other All-American to spend a few years in Storrs, methinks Bueckers will need to prove it, repeatedly, in games that count, before Geno will start singing her praises unreservedly. As it should be.

Yeah, when she wins her 1st MVP .... in the WNBA

or maybe never, especially with her present. :D :rolleyes:

And what makes it so funny is that a lot of it is true, she is expected to be the "transcendent" player that many believe is needed for most of UConn's titles. I can't wait till she starts giving it back, hopefully after her first double double.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yeah, when she wins her 1st MVP .... in the WNBA

or maybe never, especially with her present. :D :rolleyes:

And what makes it so funny is that a lot of it is true, she is expected to be the "transcendent" player that many believe is needed for most of UConn's titles. I can't wait till she starts giving it back, hopefully after her first double double.

It appears indeed that Paige will be the straw that stirs the drink for the next 4 years. :cool:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Another article with a more Paige perspective

“It’s going really well. I’ve just tried to come in and gain the respect of everybody, my teammates, the coaching staff and everybody that’s involved with Women’s Basketball,” Bueckers said Wednesday.” I’ve just tried to come in and I’ve tried to forget about all the high school stuff. I don’t want all of that stuff to be brought into college, so I’ve just been really enjoying the new, fresh start

But after all his comments about her hard work and humility he added:

“But don’t get me wrong, she knows she’s good.”

That's what impressed me 2 years ago. She thanks everyone and praises her team mates and coaches but you can see it in her eyes when she is playing that she knows "I'm going to beat you because I'm better".
And belief backed by her skills is an awesome weapon.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Players coming off the bench are expected to play well also. She can do those things as a reserve. :)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Must be nice knowing that all you can do is fail. But seems like she can handle the pressure of high expectations. It doesn’t hurt to have a bunch of good teammates. On the men’s side a generation ago Khalid El Amin came in without all the fanfare and right away became a leader. It comes naturally to some people, especially if they show respect to the rest of the players. Interestingly, Khalid was also from Minnesota.

Reaction Score
Minnesota proud, baby!!! Watching Paige grow up through the years, has been a blessing. Folks here in the North Star state, are just proud that Paige has always been a humble young lady. As her talent, skill set, media attention grew over the years, she kept that same level of humbleness. Now she is at the college level, playing for one of the most iconic teams, for one of the greatest coaches with an amazing coaching staff, and she is still humble! Great young lady and I can't wait for her to shine and do well with UConn, Coach Geno, and the coaching crew. Really looking forward to her and Coach CD bonding. Love that Coach Geno and Coach CD are still riding together. That means so much for a coaching staff and program. Awesome!!

Reaction Score
I agree. I wouldn't waste any minutes for an impact player on the bench. Different teams and coaches but Ionescu never sat much as a freshman. This level of talent doesn't come around that often to not use it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom