Reaction Score
0C9870CE-8D00-4BB4-B18A-76F4FB0A74E1.jpeg

Reaction Score
A few moments in Paige's NPOY portfolio

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
A few moments in Paige's NPOY portfolio
I jumped up and screamed when Paige did that unconscious spin move and pass. After you've had "that" surgery, it takes a while for mind and body to meld, and when you do something like that fast pivot without thinking, it's a huge confidence builder. That's when you know you're ok, and even better, when your teammates see you do something like that, even they notice.

Reaction Score
Unless Caitlin gets hurt or has a huge slump, I think she will be NPOY. But Paige could be unanimous All-American.
I think it may also depend on how their teams fare in March. I mean, if there were an Iowa - UConn game early enough for it to affect the voting (don't worry, I know that's not happening this year) and Paige shined and Nika shut Caitlin down (as she's done before), it might be hard to support her over Paige.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In case anyone needs a reminder, it's possible to be the nation's leading scorer and not win NPOY.

Last year, Siegrist was the #1 scorer. Clark was #2 in scoring and #1 in assists.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think it may also depend on how their teams fare in March. I mean, if there were an Iowa - UConn game early enough for it to affect the voting (don't worry, I know that's not happening this year) and Paige shined and Nika shut Caitlin down (as she's done before), it might be hard to support her over Paige.
The awards are voted on before the NCAAT so…we will not be playing Iowa for a head to head matchup.

Reaction Score

That is such a difficult shot to make. I hope everyone appreciates that. She makes everything look so easy. As my daughter says, I always gasp at least once when I see her play. That was a gasp move. It's just an innate talent. A born basketball player as Geno has said.

She and Clark will likely be the face of women's basketball for a very long time to come. They have created so much more interest in the game and the key to me is that those who would look down on the sport previously as not matching up to the men's game are now suddenly interested. How can you not be?

Reaction Score
The awards are voted on before the NCAAT so…we will not be playing Iowa for a head to head matchup.
Actually, the ballots are due at the Elite 8 - not the end of the conference tournament. So, a candidate needs to get her team to that level as a rule of thumb. I think there has been one exception.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Bueckers was not the most productive player when she won NPOY as a freshman, but both her outstanding offensive and defensive efficiency could not be ignored. Clark has the court of public opinion in her favor this year so Bueckers would have to be even more efficient to win.

Bueckers has gained more recognition this year for the defense she always has been good at, but it still will be up to what she does offensively. I initially posted I hoped Bueckers would achieve 60/45/85 numbers and a 3.0 A/T ratio. After a slow start I am not sure that is possible but she is at least tracking in that direction. If she does reach that extraordinary level of efficiency she would deserve NPOY no matter Clark’s productivity.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
paige is unique in her amazing ability to rise to the moment at the key time (excluding v. arizona as a freshman -- but D had a similar bad outing). i think that is far more important than mere stats.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
paige is unique in her amazing ability to rise to the moment at the key time (excluding v. arizona as a freshman -- but D had a similar bad outing). i think that is far more important than mere stats.
I agree that is important, as well as defensive ability. But rising to the occasion is not a trait that separates Bueckers from Clark, they both do so. They both make amazing plays even in ordinary moments.

Defense separates Bueckers from Clark, but that will hardly factor in. It will come down to a matter of Clark’s productivity v Bueckers efficiency. Efficiency is harder to notice, I offer indicators not so much as stats that have to be achieved so much as at what level will Bueckers superior efficiency gain sufficient attention.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Actually, the ballots are due at the Elite 8 - not the end of the conference tournament. So, a candidate needs to get her team to that level as a rule of thumb. I think there has been one exception.
"Clark was honored Thursday as The Associated Press women's basketball Player of the Year. She received 20 votes from the 28-member national media panel that votes on the AP Top 25 each week. Voting was done before the NCAA tournament began."

Reaction Score
Unless Caitlin gets hurt or has a huge slump, I think she will be NPOY. But Paige could be unanimous All-American.
Maybe, but Paige is more complete player. I looked at CC line last week and she scored 30 something points and a few assists and 10 TOs. My guess is by years end she will have taken almost twice as many shots as Paige to score a few more points. The one thing they have in common is their teams will only go as far as each of them can take them.

Reaction Score
I don't think Paige is contention for NPOY this year but Clarks stats were also better her freshman year. Not sure you are aware of the famous adage but there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. Stats lie all the time.

I think a better test of the better play will come at the next level tbh.

Reaction Score
"Clark was honored Thursday as The Associated Press women's basketball Player of the Year. She received 20 votes from the 28-member national media panel that votes on the AP Top 25 each week. Voting was done before the NCAA tournament began."

Naismith was announced March 29

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Why did Bueckers beat out Clark their freshman years even though Clark’s productivity numbers were similarly better then than they are now?

I haven’t kept track of Clark’s efficiency numbers so far this year. Some I expect are better, some worse, due to less experienced teammates, but if she duplicates roughly 50/40 for shooting and Bueckers achieves 60/50, Clark achieves 2.0 A/T (though I bet that will be less this year) and Bueckers is greater than 2.5, then the difference between the two will be even more striking than their freshman seasons.

To return to the original question, why did Clark lose out to Bueckers her freshman season even though her productivity stats you just provided were much better?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Forgot to add:

Minutes -
Caitlin 454:58 minutes in 14 games, 32.5 mpg
Paige 373:28 in 13 games, 28.7 mog

The two of them have a great relationship. Whoever wins, the other will be happy for her friend. Both are special players

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom