Paige slips to 3rd in draft projections | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Paige slips to 3rd in draft projections

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I agree with mostly everything you stated, with the exception that Cam Brink is more pro ready than Paige. Brink is definitely pro ready and I think her upside potential might be the highest of all as she is adding dimension to her game, particularly her outside shot. While Paige might be a question mark as to the physicality of the WNBA game, her game translates to any forum. There's literally nothing that she can't do on a basketball court.

As you pointed out, the other players have basically accomplished everything in their collegiate careers. While Clark has not won a NC, I don't think it's a likelihood this year either. She will have set a new NCAA scoring record, and if she stays, won't have Gabby Marshall or Kate Martin as teammates. Plus, it's hard to pass up being the #1 pick in the draft.

SC & UCLA are the frontrunners for the NC. If Cardoso wins, there's never a better time to go out on top. The same could apply to Angel Reese. It might behoove her to escape the media circus that comes playing for Kim Mulkey & LSU.

Selfishly, I would love to see Paige play another season at UConn. As Geno mentioned in an interview, Paige is basically still in her sophomore season when you consider the number of games she has played. She came to UConn to leave her imprint alongside the other greats of the program. Is she willing to depart not having won a title? I imagine that is one of many factors in her decision. UConn's chances this year have taken a hit, but what if they come close again but miss out? Would that impel her to give it one more try with a healthy & fully loaded roster? Time will tell.

Nine games into the season, Paige appears to be holding up well. However, if she opted for the draft, she's exposing herself to the rigors of potentially 80 games or more in a year's time period. That's a lot for any player, let alone one with a checkered health history and coming back from a serious injury. From a physical standpoint, as well as a nod to a long, healthy career, I feel she would be better served by returning and using the college offseason to recover and get physically stronger for the more demanding WNBA.

In 2025, teams would in scramble trying to land her as the number 1 pick.
Good post.

Reaction Score
If Paige had no injury issues she'd probably be ahead of Brink, but she's been injury prone and is still shaking off some rust. ane.
If Paige had no injury issues - - it wouldn't be "probably."

Reaction Score
Paige has chosen a career that has an expiration date. Coming back next year means shaving 5-10% off of that professional career. While that may seem like a small amount, it's not nothing either especially taking into account her injury history.
Or maybe it means she puts lets pressure on her knee and she extends her career maybe by much, much, much more along with increasign the probability that she will be great in pro ball if she waits one more year with the additional rest?

Reaction Score
Or maybe it means she puts lets pressure on her knee and she extends her career maybe by much, much, much more along with increasign the probability that she will be great in pro ball if she waits one more year with the additional rest?
If she goes to the WNBA she'll play less than she would at UConn, so she'd be better off making the jump if your concern is less pressure on her knee.

Reaction Score
If she goes to the WNBA she'll play less than she would at UConn, so she'd be better off making the jump if your concern is less pressure on her knee.
Your point doesn't include that she won't have a rest. Less pressure on the knee staying at UCONN vs going to WNBA right after season without rest. I'm not suggesting she is going to stay a 5th year. Just that I don't agree with how you are presenting this either.

Reaction Score
In an interview Cheryl Reeve of the MN Linx was interviewed and was asked if she'd trade up draft picks to draft Paige Bueckers back to MN if she was in next years draft and Reeve said, "I can't talk about possible draft picks or signings but I will say I'm not stupid!"

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Good job on examining the financial status of LA (and Phoenix). I'd done the same with the post-season HerHoopStats that Richard Cohen assiduously puts together. BTW, as @TheFarmFan notes, there are year-round discussions taking place on the General Board on the W. Come on over from time to time...we don't bite. (Although I do understand that this one eminates from Paige).

Anyways, CC, I have one more thought regarding LA's pick and Paige: a trade.
  • Specifically, a trade to Minnesota, who would love to have Paige there. The price would have to be steep on top of Minny's #7 -- how about Diamond Miller to play the three? If need be, add in jack-of-all-trades Jess Shepard.
  • LA could resign Nneka and Canada, still has Hamby/Stevens and adds an athletic wing who can score at two levels (and will get better, a la Jackie Young) and get a shooter at #7.
Interesting trade idea.
From LA's standpoint, it might also require a 2025 draft pick. Also, Shepard's propensity for missing games would be concerning to the Sparks' front office.

Reaction Score
These mock drafts are designed to create attention. PB falling behind Caitlin and Cameron should accomplish that goal!
Agreed. Nothing more than writer click bait at this stage of the season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom