Paige slips to 3rd in draft projections | The Boneyard

Paige slips to 3rd in draft projections

Reaction Score
These mock drafts are designed to create attention. PB falling behind Caitlin and Cameron should accomplish that goal!

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Paige has to be better than the POY Paige from 20/21

Then we have a chance

Reaction Score
Aside from Caitlin Clark, Paige is the largest draw when it comes to audience. Currently she he has a larger NIL package than CC, and it matters in the WNBA. However, she will stay one more year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I absolutely hope that Paige comes back to UConn next season, I think it’s a mistake to assume that LA will take Brink over Paige. For a city that embraced Magic Johnson and Showtime with the LA Lakers, the Sparks could supercharge ticket sales and fan interest by bringing in a player like Paige. She’d fit right in with LeBron, Ohtani and all the other stars in Tinseltown.

Reaction Score
While I absolutely hope that Paige comes back to UConn next season, I think it’s a mistake to assume that LA will take Brink over Paige. For a city that embraced Magic Johnson and Showtime with the LA Lakers, the Sparks could supercharge ticket sales and fan interest by bringing in a player like Paige. She’d fit right in with LeBron, Ohtani and all the other stars in Tinseltown.
I respect you enthusiasm, but WNBA is not a big draw in LA and not even PB is likely to change that! There are 10 other pro sports teams competing for attention and attendance, not to mention UCLA and USC ( I would bet more people in LA know Caleb Williams and Bronnie James than PB). They also compete with Hollywood, outdoor activities , great weather etc. LA isn’t even considered a good sports city because there are just too many distractions and too many teams! The Sparks are often at the in the middle of the WNBA attendance pack and last year drew an average 6,500 to an arena that seats 18,000. While stars and celebrities want to be seen at Lakers games z(when they are good) , nobody cares about being seen at Sparks games! The national fan base of the WNBA is minuscule compared to other leagues as we all know. Despite all the people who know her and love her in CT, she would not be big deal in LA. There is just not that level of interest in WBB. The best drawing team in the league last year was LV Aces and they drew 9, 550 with what was considered a Super team. With all due respect, to mention PB in the same breath as Magic or LeBron or Ohtani is silly!

Reaction Score
Besides, Brink isn't ready for the WNBA. She's foul out in the 1st quarter. Paige is! However, as much as I would love Paige to play in my backyard so-to-speak, I would prefer she return for another year with hopefully Aaliyah, Nika, Azzi and Caroline as well.

Reaction Score
We’ll see where she ends up after 25 or thirty more performances like she had yesterday!There’s nothing wrong with third but I’m betting she’ll move up to at least second.
As for Brink, it wouldn’t totally surprise me to see her in a UConn uniform next year! She and Paige are reportedly very close so maybe she’ll decide to come play her last year with her buddy.:rolleyes: I don’t think Geno would say no to a shot blocking 6’4” dynamo like Brink!

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
We’ll see where she ends up after 25 or thirty more performances like she had yesterday!There’s nothing wrong with third but I’m betting she’ll move up to at least second.
As for Brink, it wouldn’t totally surprise me to see her in a UConn uniform next year! She and Paige are reportedly very close so maybe she’ll decide to come play her last year with her buddy.:rolleyes: I don’t think Geno would say no to a shot blocking 6’4” dynamo like Brink!
What, are you dreaming?? I like it!!! If only that would happen. Sigh.......

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Fwiw, we have a good discussion going about the probable draft order and needs for Indy/LA/Phoenix:

And here's my two cents on whether Brink makes the most sense for LA's #2 pick:

Why do you think Brink is a better fit? LA is loaded with strong post players - Nneka, Chiney, Azure, and Hamby. (And sorta Katie Lou.) Meanwhile, Canada is an unrestricted free agent unless LA cores her, at which point they'll have to burn through most of their cap space to offer her a super max deal. Unless you think LA should blow its cap space on her and/or Layshia Clarendon is their PG of the future, I actually think LA has greater needs in the backcourt than the frontcourt.

All that said, Brink + Ogwumikes + Samuelsons in LA = happy FarmFan here. :)

Reaction Score
I’d love to see Paige stay an extra year to play with Azzi and compete for a NC. Then I’d love for the Mercury to get the #1 pick in 2025, since the liberty have swap rights with the mercury's first round 2025 pick. Paige teaming up with Stewie in NYC. A NYC resident can dream right!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I respect you enthusiasm, but WNBA is not a big draw in LA and not even PB is likely to change that! There are 10 other pro sports teams competing for attention and attendance, not to mention UCLA and USC ( I would bet more people in LA know Caleb Williams and Bronnie James than PB). They also compete with Hollywood, outdoor activities , great weather etc. LA isn’t even considered a good sports city because there are just too many distractions and too many teams! The Sparks are often at the in the middle of the WNBA attendance pack and last year drew an average 6,500 to an arena that seats 18,000. While stars and celebrities want to be seen at Lakers games z(when they are good) , nobody cares about being seen at Sparks games! The national fan base of the WNBA is minuscule compared to other leagues as we all know. Despite all the people who know her and love her in CT, she would not be big deal in LA. There is just not that level of interest in WBB. The best drawing team in the league last year was LV Aces and they drew 9, 550 with what was considered a Super team. With all due respect, to mention PB in the same breath as Magic or LeBron or Ohtani is silly!
Yes, historically the Sparks have not been a great draw in LA. Last season they averaged a respectable 6,000+ fans in an arena that holds 19,000+. But the WNBA season is designed to “not compete” with other pro sports. It really overlaps only with the first half of the MLB season.

I know there’s a lot going on in LA. But Paige’s talent and enthusiasm is addictive. Surely a player like Paige could stir a few thousand more Angelinos to check out WBB out of a population base of 18.5 million people in Greater LA, and once Paige puts on a show, I have no doubt the new fans will be hooked.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Paige is pro ready and Brink will really struggle at that level. She has the advantage in college when she is much longer than those guarding her but that won't be the case in the pro leagues. Paige and Caitlin are going 1-2 in some order depending on who gets the pick and then there is everyone else.

Reaction Score
Not sure it matters much where Paige is drafted, although likely she will be in top 5. She is a big name that would do well personally in one do the big markets. I don't know the WNBA well enough, but she should go to a team where she is the lead guard and be in charge, not a support player.

Reaction Score
Paige needs 1 more year at UConn. She will get to finish a final year with Azzi, play and help develop/lead a young team. UConn will have a 6'5 post, a load of guards ready to shoot and a little experience from returning power forwards....and then she would become the #1 pick in the 25' WNBA draft.

Reaction Score
Paige is pro ready and Brink will really struggle at that level. She has the advantage in college when she is much longer than those guarding her but that won't be the case in the pro leagues. Paige and Caitlin are going 1-2 in some order depending on who gets the pick and then there is everyone else.

Some of y’all haven’t been watching Bruno. She is def pro ready and will def succeed

Reaction Score

Brink is as big a star as Beckers is, and she's already in Cali

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Why do you think Brink is a better fit? LA is loaded with strong post players - Nneka, Chiney, Azure, and Hamby. (And sorta Katie Lou.) Meanwhile, Canada is an unrestricted free agent unless LA cores her, at which point they'll have to burn through most of their cap space to offer her a super max deal. Unless you think LA should blow its cap space on her and/or Layshia Clarendon is their PG of the future, I actually think LA has greater needs in the backcourt than the frontcourt.

All that said, Brink + Ogwumikes + Samuelsons in LA = happy FarmFan here. :)

In terms of talent, this draft has a ton of it ... but only if players do not use the extra COVID year.

For Los Angeles, Nneka Ogwumike is an unrestricted free agent (and cannot be cored). Chiney Ogwumike is an unrestricted free agent (with a litany of injuries). Katie Lou Samuelson is an unrestricted free agent. And so are Jasmine Thomas, Jordin Canada, and Layshia Clarendon (all UFAs).

If Nneka leaves (and Chiney retires to focus on broadcasting), is a frontcourt of Stevens/Hamby that of a playoff team or a lottery one? This is why Brink might be needed.

I would expect LA to re-sign Canada (turns 29 in August 2024) after her breakout season. Bueckers would add elite playmaking, off-ball scoring, one of the best midrange shot creators since Seimone Augustus, and cache as one of the faces of WCBB.

Both players fit, for different reasons -- and both players would fit with the Phoenix Mercury, as well (especially if Phoenix can dump Brianna Turner's final year).

Also, in terms of offseason finances, the Sparks can give close-to-the-max deals to both Canada and Nneka, with enough left over to do so for a free agent (though the FA market dwindled at the end of last season, with Kahleah Copper, Betnijah Laney, and Jewell Loyd signing extensions to remain with their respective current teams).

Reaction Score
Paige needs 1 more year at UConn. She will get to finish a final year with Azzi, play and help develop/lead a young team. UConn will have a 6'5 post, a load of guards ready to shoot and a little experience from returning power forwards....and then she would become the #1 pick in the 25' WNBA draft.
Paige doesn't need any more time in college. She's easily the best talent the program has had since Stewie, and could go pro tomorrow and would be one of the biggest stars of whatever league she joins.

Reaction Score
This is a joke right?!
Why would you ask that question? Do you seriously think Brink is ready for the WNBA? She's foul prone in College, the pros will have her out of the game within minutes. Paige on the other hand can play in the Pros right now. But, I hope she stays for another year. So where do you think there is a joke in any of that???

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Paige doesn't need any more time in college. She's easily the best talent the program has had since Stewie, and could go pro tomorrow and would be one of the biggest stars of whatever league she joins.
To me the over under here is injury prevention. If Paige goes deep with the Huskies in the tournament, she'll have to turn around and report to training camp within three weeks. Then a long W season until September/October. That's something like 80 games with no more than 20ish days off on a knee that's barely just back to normal.

Is this idea too crazy: she opts out of her first season in the W, rests up, plays a bit overseas, and comes back fresh in 2025. Basically, she's too much a unicorn player that I'd rather her sit out a whole season than risk one more knee blowout.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom