Paige on Naismith Award list | The Boneyard

Paige on Naismith Award list

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Paige on POY list, although I would argue that Aaliyah also belongs on it.

And as much as I try not to be a biased homer, I really do think that Geno should be on COY list, as UConn had #2 SOS, 29-5 record, and have 5 players out with injuries that would be in the rotation.

Reaction Score
Paige on POY list, although I would argue that Aaliyah also belongs on it.

And as much as I try not to be a biased homer, I really do think that Geno should be on COY list, as UConn had #2 SOS, 29-5 record, and have 5 players out with injuries that would be in the rotation.

... and Scott Rueck at Ore St.

Reaction Score
I'd also love to see an advanced stats comparison of the POY candidates.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Seven seniors (or 6 and one RS junior) plus THREE freshmen

Reaction Score
Question. Which NPOY award carries more weight? The Wooden award seems more significant to me because those voters also choose the All-Americans. Am I mistaken?

Reaction Score
I’ve gotta say, it seems very puzzling to me that Cardoso is on this list? Her stats are not impressive, especially for someone with her physical advantages. I just don’t get how 14 ppg and 9.5 rebounds translates to a player of the year finalist? I’m sure I will get the tired old “you just dislike her because she plays for SC” thing because I’m a UConn fan. I freely admit I don’t much care for SC (though I respect their coach and what she’s built there) but that is a separate thing. I just don’t think she (Cardoso) belongs there because of her lack of production. I haven’t looked everyone’s stats up but I’d be willing to bet her stats are far and away the lowest on that list. Obviously, someone has to be the lowest but there’s gotta be a whole lot of players whose stats are waaay better, and who are more important to their team’s success. I can think of one on our own team. Aaliyah Edwards scores 17.8 and 9.3. All other stats are comparable except blocks where Cardoso is substantially better but Aaliyah shoots a higher percentage both from the field and the line. On top of the evident superior stats, Aaliyah is clearly more valuable to her team as well! Now, I‘m aware there may be better candidates even than Aaliyah and if there are then they should be on the list. This is not really about Cardoso but rather that it looks to me as though she is getting recognition not because of her production on the court but rather because she plays for the #1 team. Personally, I don’t think that should be the criteria for player of the year.

Reaction Score
Seven seniors (or 6 and one RS junior) plus THREE freshmen
Again, it's my belief that the student-athletes who indulge in in-game fights, should be excluded from all end of year awards and honors, such as these. And it shouldn't matter who they are, or which institution(s) they attend. Rewarding them with these honors is like condoning their bad behaviors.
It is okay to play good, hard defense. But when intentional punching, shoving, slapping, etc., occurs, that needs to be excluded from the games. And seeing that the referees turn a blind eye, the nominating powers need to take a firm stand.
Just my two cents.

Reaction Score
I’ve gotta say, it seems very puzzling to me that Cardoso is on this list? Her stats are not impressive, especially for someone with her physical advantages. I just don’t get how 14 ppg and 9.5 rebounds translates to a player of the year finalist? I’m sure I will get the tired old “you just dislike her because she plays for SC” thing because I’m a UConn fan. I freely admit I don’t much care for SC (though I respect their coach and what she’s built there) but that is a separate thing. I just don’t think she (Cardoso) belongs there because of her lack of production. I haven’t looked everyone’s stats up but I’d be willing to bet her stats are far and away the lowest on that list. Obviously, someone has to be the lowest but there’s gotta be a whole lot of players whose stats are waaay better, and who are more important to their team’s success. I can think of one on our own team. Aaliyah Edwards scores 17.8 and 9.3. All other stats are comparable except blocks where Cardoso is substantially better but Aaliyah shoots a higher percentage both from the field and the line. On top of the evident superior stats, Aaliyah is clearly more valuable to her team as well! Now, I‘m aware there may be better candidates even than Aaliyah and if there are then they should be on the list. This is not really about Cardoso but rather that it looks to me as though she is getting recognition not because of her production on the court but rather because she plays for the #1 team. Personally, I don’t think that should be the criteria for player of the year.

Especially since Aaliyah's numbers are better

Reaction Score
Sadly won’t fit the CC narrative. Advanced stats point toward Paige Bueckers and Cameron Brink.
Win Shares doesn't, at least according to HHS.
Caitlin leads the pack at 8.5, followed by Paige at 7.8, and Hannah at 7.2 and Brink at 6.5. Caitlin's stat line for this year is darn impressive.

Reaction Score

This is why I'm curious which award actually carries more weight. Wooden or Naismith? The Wooden list doesn't have Booker from Texas as the 15 being considered.

Reaction Score
Again, it's my belief that the student-athletes who indulge in in-game fights, should be excluded from all end of year awards and honors, such as these. And it shouldn't matter who they are, or which institution(s) they attend. Rewarding them with these honors is like condoning their bad behaviors.
It is okay to play good, hard defense. But when intentional punching, shoving, slapping, etc., occurs, that needs to be excluded from the games. And seeing that the referees turn a blind eye, the nominating powers need to take a firm stand.
Just my two cents.
You mean disqualified/ejected, correct? Technically Clark could fall into that category as she shoved a player during non-conference play this season if that distinction isn't made.

Reaction Score
Caitlin leads the pack at 8.5, followed by Paige at 7.8, and Hannah at 7.2 and Brink at 6.5. Caitlin's stat line for this year is darn impressive.

Win shares shocks me the least, tbh. Paige has the better Off. Rating, Def. Rating, Points per Possession, Points per Shot Attempt, EFG%, AST:TO. Caitlin is having an incredible year, but I feel like (with Juju as well) Paige’s efficiency gets often overlooked.

Reaction Score
In fairness to Kamilla, she is only playing 25 minutes a game. And as you noted it and it's perennially an argument made, she is the best player on the best team, and that team is undefeated which stands out. I personally like it, because I don't think you should be penalized too much for your team being great. Stewie, Sue Bird, Chamique Holdsclaw played on loaded teams where u can make arguments about their value, but they stood out regardless. Even last year I'm sure Aliyah Boston was probably in the running for the award but her stats were actually slightly worse than Kamilla's this year. I actually think AE is a better player than Cardoso, but I get why Cardoso is in consideration. Another question is are they undefeated without Cardoso? They do have great backups, but I actually lean towards no. She's had a pretty strong season and stabilized them in a handful of games.

Reaction Score

Per*Minutes is similar.

Per*Minutes = an estimate of the total value created by a player via Player Efficiency Rating

1. Caitlin Clark - 50,087
2. Paige Bueckers - 42,101
3. Hannah Hidalgo – 40,364
4. Elizabeth Kitley – 38,759
7. Cameron Brink – 37,131
8. Juju Watkins – 37,023
22. Angel Reese – 32,127
43. Madison Booker – 28,556
71. Jacy Sheldon – 26,499
83. Kamilla Cardoso – 25,801

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

I don't normally post comments like this, but I have a hard time taking seriously a COY award that doesn't have Geno in the top TEN this year. What more are they looking for?

Reaction Score
Best player on best team doesn't account for anything?

Reaction Score
Just my two cents.
Jim Mora just started following Cardoso. Just saying.

Reaction Score
Compare minutes per game when comparing stats

Reaction Score
Clark is on a team that allows the opponent to run 3 players or more at her on every possession. On one hand that is great because on most teams she wouldn't be able to hoist up shots from mid court but on the other hand she has to make a lot of tough shots. Paige is the best BB player of the group and I don't think it is even that close. Her problem is she is so unselfish she passes up about 6 points a game on shots she would definitely make so a teammate might get one from a couple feet closer.

In the tournament I think you will see the difference between a great player named Paige and the other great players. In big games she hits the big shots and hits the shots that kill the will of the opponent.

Reaction Score
You mean disqualified/ejected, correct? Technically Clark could fall into that category as she shoved a player during non-conference play this season if that distinction isn't made.
I can’t comment on past years’ bad behaviors because I’d not paid much attention. However, this year has left me shaking my head over and over, many times. It’s saddening to see, so I believe the player with the intentional foul gets suspended one game, and two games if it’s not the first offense. And players involved in in-game fights (intentional bumping, pushing, shoving, slapping, hair pulling, etc.) should be penalized much harsher —excluded or removed from end of year awards/honors, games, etc. And, it should not matter who the player(s) is/are, as well as the affiliated school(s). The instigators of such brawls need to be punished also.
I know I am an armchair coach, but we must stop rewarding bad behaviors with trophies.

PS: This is my last comment on the topic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom