Paige mom thinks Paige will use the extra year of eligibility | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Paige mom thinks Paige will use the extra year of eligibility

Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I read the comments in this thread, there appears to be the idea that a player would be sacrificing the social media-generated income by going to the WNBA. Seems to me they could earn a WNBA salary in addition to the social media-generated income after leaving college. They'll still be able to market their NIL's, probably even more-so.
Women’s college basketball is waaaaayy more popular to casual basketball fans than the WNBA. Players in the tournament get far more exposure than players in the WNBA finals.

W

wolfe613

Paige had over 600,000 followers while she was still in High School, and the Zags have been considered a major power since Few became the Head Coach. He is the first Head Coach to take his team to every NCAA tournament from his first year as a HC, that's 21 straight NCAA tournaments, and considered to be a consistent contenders for the tournament.
lol when did Instagram become the standard for defining someone? I'll tell you this every game Suggs played he was trending esp yes the game he made that gw shot.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga is not a national program, most ppl don't even know what state they are in
Maybe so, but they just got the top recruit for next year, just as Suggs declared for the draft. Not sure there has been any other that you wouldn't consider a national program that has gotten commitments from really top, really top prospects two straight years.

Doing better than UConn MBB and a few other national programs these past couple of years, wouldn't you say? One may wonder why that is, I won't. The coaching staff is good.

Last edited:
W

wolfe613

Maybe so, but they just got the top recruit for next year, just as Suggs declared for the draft. Not sure there has been any other that you wouldn't consider a national program that has gotten commitments from really top, really top prospects two straight years.

Doing better than UConn MBB and a few other national programs these past couple of years, wouldn't you say? One may wonder why that is, I won't. The coaching staff is good.
not that I would watch Gonzaga but if I wanted to watch them they would not be on tv, if lucky they would be on Cbssn. Their conference generates no money and has bunch of bottom feeder schools.

Reaction Score
Everyone knows that Gonzaga is a municipality in the Lombardy Province of Italy.........?
Really? We know that the Gonzagas ruled the Dukedom of Mantua for years. Wait, there is a commune named Gonzaga near Mantua....

How do I know? Have been interested in the Gonzagas of Mantua for any similarity between one of them and the Duke of Mantua in Verdi's opera "Rigoletto"

Reaction Score
not that I would watch Gonzaga but if I wanted to watch them they would not be on tv, if lucky they would be on Cbssn. Their conference generates no money and has bunch of bottom feeder schools.
Wonder how I was able to find them shown live on CBS and ESPN during the season and in the playoffs. And not just this year.....

That little Jesuit university seems to be doing just fine and entertaining some of us....here in the East Coast as well as some friends in Canada.

Last edited:
W

wolfe613

Wonder how I was able to find them shown live on CBS and ESPN during the season and in the playoffs. And not just this year.....

That little Jesuit university seems to be doing just fine and entertaining some of us....here in the East Coast as well as some friends in Canada.
so you're telling me all conference games in the WCC for Gonzaga were on CBS and Espn? yea that's 100% false

Reaction Score
so you're telling me all conference games in the WCC for Gonzaga were on CBS and Espn? yea that's 100% false
Did I tell you that? I said I have had no trouble finding them on TV (those two networks). I do not watch every game of any basketball team or even try to......not even UConn WBB - there are simply opponents that you wouldn't bother with and there are other things to do in life. ESPN telecasts almost all of the non-conference games of Gonzaga, which are the interesting ones from national interest standpoint.

As far as WCC is concerned, they have their own WCC network....telecasts/streams their conference games. You know, like SNY used to do for UConn regionally.....BTW, the streaming of games by WCC's own network makes these available in digital space and can be accessed at least nationally if you want to gorge on that sort of thing. Since you don't know, the WCC network provided more than 1000 TV-quality free telecasts of their sports in 2019-2020.

I think this conversation is a "heads I win, tails you lose" approach with preconceived notions of "facts" on your side, so I stop here.

Besides, this thread is a conversation about what Paige's Mom said....so, I don't know why you made your comment in the first place except to disparage the program.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
College is 4 years. If you went to college, after your senior year, you were prepared to move your skills and talent to the next level. Same with HS. That's us, most likely average individuals progressing hopefully at an upward trajectory to greater challenges. Not 5 years, 4 years. Now, imagine a person of extremely rare talents and skills following the same timeline or an even longer one as the one we followed.
Sorry I don't see it, nor do I want to. I want to see her after she's made her historic mark at UConn to be in the WNBA and overseas doing the same. She's going to make hundreds of friends along the way. Maybe Azzi will always be her BFF. Maybe she won't. Who knows.
I know! Let’s let Paige make that decision for herself.

Reaction Score
As of 18 minutes ago, Jalen Suggs has declared for the NBA draft. One-and-done. Does that shoe dropping, interfere with your fantasy at all? Just wondering...
This isn’t even apples and oranges, it’s heat and cold , dry and wet, alive and dead! Why would a male college player declaring for the NBA have any relevance to whether Paige plays 4 or five years before turning pro? There is only one relevant question involved here. What does Paige want!
Everything else is just noise.

W

wolfe613

Did I tell you that? I said I have had no trouble finding them on TV (those two networks). I do not watch every game of any basketball team or even try to......not even UConn WBB - there are simply opponents that you wouldn't bother with and there are other things to do in life. ESPN telecasts almost all of the non-conference games of Gonzaga, which are the interesting ones from national interest standpoint.

As far as WCC is concerned, they have their own WCC network....telecasts/streams their conference games. You know, like SNY used to do for UConn regionally.....BTW, the streaming of games by WCC's own network makes these available in digital space and can be accessed at least nationally if you want to gorge on that sort of thing. Since you don't know, the WCC network provided more than 1000 TV-quality free telecasts of their sports in 2019-2020.

I think this conversation is a "heads I win, tails you lose" approach with preconceived notions of "facts" on your side, so I stop here.

Besides, this thread is a conversation about what Paige's Mom said....so, I don't know why you made your comment in the first place except to disparage the program.
because someone used Instagram as a way to value someone if they are popular enough like that matters. Diana Taurasi only has 129k followers on IG oh that must mean she not as valuable as a player, it's stupid. Players don't play basketball to be on instagram, they're not influencers. There are influencers who got 2 million followers on IG and most ppl wouldn't know who that person is. Just let players enjoy the game and stop judging them by their social media

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Really? We know that the Gonzagas ruled the Dukedom of Mantua for years. Wait, there is a commune named Gonzaga near Mantua....

How do I know? Have been interested in the Gonzagas of Mantua for any similarity between one of them and the Duke of Mantua in Verdi's opera "Rigoletto"
My favorite opera. Bellissimo.

Reaction Score
If NIL is passed, the WNBA will have to do more than change their rules. They will have to dramatically change their pay scale, or they won’t be able to afford Paige Bueckers and other top WBB players whose earnings potential could be much higher in college.
Their earnings won't likely go down (or down much) when they switch to the pros...they should be able to maintain the fame they have.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Jalen Suggs will be the #3 pick in this year NBA draft by Piston. With $898,000 salary I guess he can buy a good Christmas gift to his good friend Paige this year.
Edit: Rookie NBA salary for #3 pick is around $6.7+M going up in the second guaranteed year, years 3 and 4 are not guaranteed but also escalate.
And the first two years of his contract will be guaranteed on signing and will escalate in each of the two years - the third and fourth year are team options that if exercised is also fully guaranteed.

Paige and every other WNBA player drafted will receive a contract that will pay a maximum of around $300,000 and not a single day of that rookie contract will be guaranteed.

That is a huge difference - a wise young man who lives frugally during his rookie contract and invested his money well could live his whole life on that first contract never having to do a day of work. A wise young woman doing the same would need to pray she was healthy and played well enough to get a second contract at a slightly higher salary, and even with wise investments would likely need to find another source of income after her playing days ended. (I do not believe anyone is paying the sorts of international salaries to WNBA players that Sue and DT got when they were playing in Russia (nor receiving the lavish gifts, living the lavish life styles.) That period with Shabtai Kalmanovich was a unique period.

Equating the draw of an NBA payday to that of a WNBA/International payday is silly. The WNBA salary is close to equivalent to the value of a college tuition, room, and board - take into account that what the college offers is received tax free and comes with access to trainers, facilities, and top end medical coverage and a college degree and staying in college is a good financial decision. With the international pay for real stars, the financial balance is with pro ball, but that pay comes with a twelve month commitment that generally shortens a playing career/leads to more injuries.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Women’s college basketball is waaaaayy more popular to casual basketball fans than the WNBA. Players in the tournament get far more exposure than players in the WNBA finals.
I think Sabrina will be an interesting test case to see if she can be marketed at a top level and if her college fame will translate into popularity in the pros. She was just becoming an all star in her rookie season with the Liberty before her injury and being in NY should be optimal. Of course, it seems the WNBA is already screwing up any marketing since I think the opening of the WNBA appears to be as secret as the launch codes of our nuclear arsenal

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
lol when did Instagram become the standard for defining someone? I'll tell you this every game Suggs played he was trending esp yes the game he made that gw shot.
When it comes to NIL and endorsements it defines everything $$$$$.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Their earnings won't likely go down (or down much) when they switch to the pros...they should be able to maintain the fame they have.
Maybe, but I don't see Paige leaving for the pros before she earns a national championship or two.....or three.....

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Wow, a 19 years old can get $20M in 3 years. Real not fair to the woman basketball players.
Why is it not fair? Does the WNBA bring in the money to support the same pay.. NO
Does the WNBA play the same number of games as the NBA.. NO
Does the WNBA have a tv contract like the NBA...NO
Where in life does it say everything is fair?
Maybe if all things were equal between the men and the women we would see the same type of pay but it isn't. I can't believe that anyone thinks it's justified for any athlete man or woman to make 20 mil for 3 years. No disrespect to the athletes but is there anyone out there who thinks they are more important than the surgeons who preformed open heart surgery on me or any number of people you know. Lay in a ditch trapped in your car waiting to be rescued, tell me of one athlete who is more important than the rescue workers who pull you to safety, the Drs. who treat your life threatening wounds. There are any numbers of examples, I have stated my point and I'll just leave it there.:(

Reaction Score
Why is it not fair? Does the WNBA bring in the money to support the same pay.. NO
Does the WNBA play the same number of games as the NBA.. NO
Does the WNBA have a tv contract like the NBA...NO
Where in life does it say everything is fair?
Maybe if all things were equal between the men and the women we would see the same type of pay but it isn't. I can't believe that anyone thinks it's justified for any athlete man or woman to make 20 mil for 3 years. No disrespect to the athletes but is there anyone out there who thinks they are more important than the surgeons who preformed open heart surgery on me or any number of people you know. Lay in a ditch trapped in your car waiting to be rescued, tell me of one athlete who is more important than the rescue workers who pull you to safety, the Drs. who treat your life threatening wounds. There are any numbers of examples, I have stated my point and I'll just leave it there.:(
Well said!

Reaction Score
We can’t predict what will happen tomorrow let alone 3 years in the future. Too many unpredictable events between now and then. Let’s just enjoy every game she plays until she leaves.

Reaction Score
Wow, a 19 years old can get $20M in 3 years. Real not fair to the woman basketball players.

Also not fair to a lot of male athletes in a lot of sports. If this is looked at as a gender bias issue the big picture is missed. A few sports earn ridiculous amounts of money for media outlets and franchise owners who pass some of that money to the performers. They aren't being paid for being athletes, it's for being great entertainers that millions of people want to watch. Just like musicians and actors. And that's why it matters to have a million followers on Instagram.

Reaction Score

That's true in Connecticut and maybe 2 or 3 other states but not in most of the country, where neither is very popular.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom