Paige mom thinks Paige will use the extra year of eligibility | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Paige mom thinks Paige will use the extra year of eligibility

Reaction Score
Why don't we listen to the one person who knows best what Paige will do. Paige herself. She's said on more than one occasion, when asked about NC's, that she wants to win 4 in a row. That was before the extra year of eligibility was added. The Huskies missed out this year but from what Paige has said in the past, her desire to play alongside her best friend Azzi, and her goal of being the best player she can be seems to indicate that she'll be around for the next 4 years.
Hasn’t she also voiced her displeasure about not having the choice to be one and done?

Reaction Score
Why don't we listen to the one person who knows best what Paige will do. Paige herself. She's said on more than one occasion, when asked about NC's, that she wants to win 4 in a row. That was before the extra year of eligibility was added. The Huskies missed out this year but from what Paige has said in the past, her desire to play alongside her best friend Azzi, and her goal of being the best player she can be seems to indicate that she'll be around for the next 4 years.
College is 4 years. If you went to college, after your senior year, you were prepared to move your skills and talent to the next level. Same with HS. That's us, most likely average individuals progressing hopefully at an upward trajectory to greater challenges. Not 5 years, 4 years. Now, imagine a person of extremely rare talents and skills following the same timeline or an even longer one as the one we followed.
Sorry I don't see it, nor do I want to. I want to see her after she's made her historic mark at UConn to be in the WNBA and overseas doing the same. She's going to make hundreds of friends along the way. Maybe Azzi will always be her BFF. Maybe she won't. Who knows.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
FWIW, when it was floated earlier that Paige might leave after 3 years to go to the W, I said IMHO it was more likely she would stay 5 years than 3.

So far we've heard from her mom and from Paige, and yet people are still "SURE" that she will leave after her 4 years are up, or earlier. OBVIOUSLY real life could intervene with her plans and she could change her mind, but we are getting info right from the "horse's" mouth(s), and yet still people persist.

As an example, we had reports on here that Evina always intended to PLAY 2 years at UCONN. We heard that in a report from a BY'er who spoke directly with her mom. But still people were like "no way does she come back". Well sure enough, she is back.

My point is, when you have the family pretty much spelling out what the intention is, I think we can pretty much take that to the bank. For now. Things can change. But for now, we can all fantasize about Paige and Azzi playing together for 4 more years.

W

wolfe613

you know it's the offseason when we having posts about either Ralph who has yet to coach a game in Vanderbilt succeding Geno one day, or if Paige will play 5 years in Ncaa. For one there is a by far better chance of her playing 3 years than 5. She is going to be 22 when her jr year finishes I believe so she can enter the Wnba draft in 2023. Not sure what will happen with the team this season but if she wins a title jr year she will definitely want to go out on top a winner eventhough she'll never need to win a title to be a winner imo

Reaction Score
FWIW, when it was floated earlier that Paige might leave after 3 years to go to the W, I said IMHO it was more likely she would stay 5 years than 3.

So far we've heard from her mom and from Paige, and yet people are still "SURE" that she will leave after her 4 years are up, or earlier. OBVIOUSLY real life could intervene with her plans and she could change her mind, but we are getting info right from the "horse's" mouth(s), and yet still people persist.

As an example, we had reports on here that Evina always intended to PLAY 2 years at UCONN. We heard that in a report from a BY'er who spoke directly with her mom. But still people were like "no way does she come back". Well sure enough, she is back.

My point is, when you have the family pretty much spelling out what the intention is, I think we can pretty much take that to the bank. For now. Things can change. But for now, we can all fantasize about Paige and Azzi playing together for 4 more years.
As of 18 minutes ago, Jalen Suggs has declared for the NBA draft. One-and-done. Does that shoe dropping, interfere with your fantasy at all? Just wondering...

Reaction Score
If Azzi can also earn 6 figures plus using her NIL at UConn, I would say there’s a very good chance she will hang around for 4 seasons.
Quite right.....it is not as if WNBA is the ticket to Millions in earnings like the NBA is, even with playing overseas. NIL will indeed affect the decisions of many but especially these two whose national profiles have been higher than almost everyone since high school.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As of 18 minutes ago, Jalen Suggs has declared for the NBA draft. One-and-done. Does that shoe dropping, interfere with your fantasy at all? Just wondering...
The minimum base salary in the NBA is $898,000 vs the maximum base salary in the WNBA of $215,000. Rookies in the W earn less than $100,000. Jalen and Paige are great friends, but their respective opportunities in professional basketball are worlds apart.

Reaction Score
The minimum base salary in the NBA is $898,000 vs the maximum base salary in the WNBA of $215,000. Rookies in the W earn less than $100,000. Jalen and Paige are great friends, but their respective opportunities in professional basketball are worlds apart.
100% true but like the old baseball and football players of yesteryear, the WNBA stars earn bigger $ overseas. So, I agree, in that respect, Paige's and Jalen's situations could not be more different. What about the other factors? I expect the oldude to have thought this through in more than such a superficial manner. I will make a major wager with you that Paige and Jalen ARE alike in that both want to be the best players at the highest levels of competition that they can possibly be. We have an idea of what Jalen's path to that will be. What about Paige's path to that end? I am merely questioning whether 5 years at UConn is Paige's best path. What if UConn wins the NC and she gets all the individual awards like this year......why would she stay even one more year....if she has gotten as much from the situation as she can. Here's a real "devil's advocate" thought: what about getting out of Azzi's way, so Azzi can show that she can win an NC without Paige. IMO it's going to be a mixed bag and it's going to be more fun as a fan to watch it unfold that way.

Reaction Score
I agree that NIL will change the landscape in college sports. But while it will certainly impact men’s football and basketball, I doubt that it will stem the flow of top collegians from one and done when they can make millions in the pros.

WBB is unique. Players earn a good living in the W/overseas leagues, but the money is not overwhelming, particularly if you can parlay your NIL into a 6 figure income in college basketball, which has far more media coverage than the W.

More to the point, UConn WBB has a unique opportunity that most of the top P-5 WBB programs lack. UConn is already the premier WBB program in the nation and there is no real competition from CFB in the Northeast. You have to go all the way to State College, PA to find a successful, big time CFB program that packs its stadium.

So if my theory is correct, so long as Geno is around, the absolute best place to market your NIL as a WBB player will be Storrs, CT.

I too, have posted that UConn will be the premier program players can market themselves at. My point is that with no uniform law there will be winners and losers between states, and within conferences whose teams are located in certain states who have or haven’t passed NIL legislation. I think it will be a net positive for the UConn program, but until the dust clears on all the different versions of this legislation I don’t think any coach knows exactly what effect it will have on their own program.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
The W is currently subsidized by the NBA to some degree, so the answer is yes, if the NBA goes along with it.
Yep and they did it for this upcoming season. Salary cap in place unlike the NBA the WNBA cap is much more of a hard cap than the men's which is a cap in name only. The top women in WNBA are now making close to 200 grand for the season, most of the lower rung players are close to 60 grand. The other players are obviously slotted between the 2 figures listed.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
100% true but like the old baseball and football players of yesteryear, the WNBA stars earn bigger $ overseas. So, I agree, in that respect, Paige's and Jalen's situations could not be more different. What about the other factors? I expect the oldude to have thought this through in more than such a superficial manner. I will make a major wager with you that Paige and Jalen ARE alike in that both want to be the best players at the highest levels of competition that they can possibly be. We have an idea of what Jalen's path to that will be. What about Paige's path to that end? I am merely questioning whether 5 years at UConn is Paige's best path. What if UConn wins the NC and she gets all the individual awards like this year......why would she stay even one more year....if she has gotten as much from the situation as she can. Here's a real "devil's advocate" thought: what about getting out of Azzi's way, so Azzi can show that she can win an NC without Paige. IMO it's going to be a mixed bag and it's going to be more fun as a fan to watch it unfold that way.
You raise some interesting points. As it stands right now, Paige isn’t going anywhere until after her junior year at UConn. I don’t know if Paige and Jalen are motivated by the same things.

Paige had stated her goal of winning 4 championships while at UConn and her BFF is heading to Storrs to play with her. Maybe after losing to AZ, she’s changed her goal to only 3 championships, or maybe she is still committed to 4.

I know Paige loves her teammates and has enormous respect for the UConn coaching staff. I’m going to accept what Paige says at face value, until she advises the world of a change in plans.

Reaction Score
Look at someone like Morgan Tuck, as a basketball player you need to make the money while you can. Stewie missed a year, some others have missed time.

Reaction Score
You raise some interesting points. As it stands right now, Paige isn’t going anywhere until after her junior year at UConn. I don’t know if Paige and Jalen are motivated by the same things.

Paige had stated her goal of winning 4 championships while at UConn and her BFF is heading to Storrs to play with her. Maybe after losing to AZ, she’s changed her goal to only 3 championships, or maybe she is still committed to 4.

I know Paige loves her teammates and has enormous respect for the UConn coaching staff. I’m going to accept what Paige says at face value, until she advises the world of a change in plans.
Do you have a hunch about the next WNBA contract as it pertains to draft eligibility? I predict a change. (cause I can)
4 titles in 5 years? ok whatever you say. read my previous comments and at least give them a nod.
Why are we not seeing Paige as a "special" talent. I still hold to my Larry Bird comparison. People/players like that want to be the best and compete with the best. Of course she loves her teammates and coaches. People like that do. She also loved her HS teammates and coaches, and her USA basketball teammates and coaches, and her AAU teammates and coaches,........and her international teammates and coaches, and her WNBA teammates and coaches. That's what people like that do.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So we’re all speculating on how long Paige will remain in college. So here’s some speculation that I don’t think is that far fetched. Paige could soon be the face of WBB, if she hasn’t already achieved that position.

If I am John Donahoe, the current CEO of Nike, I want to sign Paige to a multi-year, multimillion $ contract yesterday. As soon as NIL legislation is passed, Nike will be contacting Paige to negotiate a deal.

Assuming the deal gets done, it is in Nike’s best interest to maximize Paige’s exposure. If I’m John Donahoe, I want Paige in college at the preeminent WBB program in the country, at least through her senior year. (Oh by the way, UConn is already a Nike school.)

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If NIL is passed, the WNBA will have to do more than change their rules. They will have to dramatically change their pay scale, or they won’t be able to afford Paige Bueckers and other top WBB players whose earnings potential could be much higher in college.
When NIL is passed it will have nothing to do with the WNBA and the WNBA will do nothing because NCAA eligibility is limited to 4 years. The WNBA is not going to change it's wage scale because of Paige. The current WNBA collective bargaining agreement which controls the pay scale runs through 2027.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Do you have a hunch about the next WNBA contract as it pertains to draft eligibility? I predict a change. (cause I can)
4 titles in 5 years? ok whatever you say. read my previous comments and at least give them a nod.
Why are we not seeing Paige as a "special" talent. I still hold to my Larry Bird comparison. People/players like that want to be the best and compete with the best. Of course she loves her teammates and coaches. People like that do. She also loved her HS teammates and coaches, and her USA basketball teammates and coaches, and her AAU teammates and coaches,........and her international teammates and coaches, and her WNBA teammates and coaches. That's what people like that do.
The current WNBA deal was just signed and runs through 2027. So whatever changes are made relative to draft eligibility in the next WNBA CBA, it will have absolutely no impact on Paige’s decision.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
So we’re all speculating on how long Paige will remain in college. So here’s some speculation that I don’t think is that far fetched. Paige could soon be the face of WBB, if she hasn’t already achieved that position.

If I am John Donahoe, the current CEO of Nike, I want to sign Paige to a multi-year, multimillion $ contract yesterday. As soon as NIL legislation is passed, Nike will be contacting Paige to negotiate a deal.

Assuming the deal gets done, it is in Nike’s best interest to maximize Paige’s exposure. If I’m John Donahoe, I want Paige in college at the preeminent WBB program in the country, at least through her senior year.
Exactly, and it's not out of the realm of reality to think if college students are allowed to earn $ while still in school she may well be the highest payed WBB player in the world. I know she has to stay on course with her play and continue to be great, but she has the following of hundreds of thousands of young girls, maybe now in the millions world wide. Who better for Nike or any other shoe company to throw dollars at.

Reaction Score
If NIL is passed, the WNBA will have to do more than change their rules. They will have to dramatically change their pay scale, or they won’t be able to afford Paige Bueckers and other top WBB players whose earnings potential could be much higher in college.

Why would a player no longer have the same income sources after they leave college for the pros? If you can sell your likeness as a college senior you can continue to do it after college.
I think the whole thing is way overblown for wcbb. Other than Bueckers I don't see any potential millionaires or even hundredthousandaires. NIL is about football and unless the NCAA does something they are going to lose college football.
As for the recruiting advantage someone mentioned, athletes may be able to earn money in California but wouldn't that lead to the NCAA disqualifying the player amnd maybe even the program? That doesn't sound like a recruiting tool.

"Come to Stanford where you can sell your picture". Except you will never play in an NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score

Bueckers may get a better shoe contract than her buddy. She will make far more than her salary.

Reaction Score
Look at someone like Morgan Tuck, as a basketball player you need to make the money while you can. Stewie missed a year, some others have missed time.

Exactly, and it's not out of the realm of reality to think if college students are allowed to earn $ while still in school she may well be the highest payed WBB player in the world. I know she has to stay on course with her play and continue to be great, but she has the following of hundreds of thousands of young girls, maybe now in the millions world wide. Who better for Nike or any other shoe company to throw dollars at.
I've pretty much always been in favor of athletes getting paid. Remember Jalen Rose in the 30 for 30, "I walk through the student union and see the school making tons of money on number 5 jerseys and I have to scrounge for money to get a pizza on Friday night".
Now that it's here upon us, it sounds kind of icky. I need to learn more about it and think more about it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Why would a player no longer have the same income sources after they leave college for the pros? If you can sell your likeness as a college senior you can continue to do it after college.
I think the whole thing is way overblown for wcbb. Other than Bueckers I don't see any potential millionaires or even hundredthousandaires. NIL is about football and unless the NCAA does something they are going to lose college football.
As for the recruiting advantage someone mentioned, athletes may be able to earn money in California but wouldn't that lead to the NCAA disqualifying the player amnd maybe even the program? That doesn't sound like a recruiting tool.

"Come to Stanford where you can sell your picture". Except you will never play in an NCAA tournament.
I don’t know about other potential millionaires. I’m just speculating about Paige, who is in a truly unique position that may afford her the opportunity to earn more money the longer she stays in college. Time will tell.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

The Supreme Court has already heard the NCAA's lousy excuses and it doesn't look promising on their part (NCAA's), it appears that the NIL will be sooner than later and that if the NCAA doesn't do anything soon they may become useless to the States. Congress is also looking into forcing the NCAA to come up with a uniform plan for all Universities or they have threatened to do it by Federal Law.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom