Paige Daily Video Allotment | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Paige Daily Video Allotment

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Comparison with the Great Gretzky!!! :)

Gretzky was always noted for his incredible vision; knowing where his teammates were and would be, what was open, what would be open, and, of course, how to get them the puck and create his own chances. Paige plays similarly. She has an incredible sixth sense that is not teachable.

Reaction Score
"the best I've ever seen with the ball in her hands"

Geno's words. I assume he meant coming out of high school.

But how about without the ball Geno?

I'm sure he will focus on her movement without the ball and her defense. Bueckers is very fortunate to have played for Cosgriff for 5 years. Not only did they have a great coaching staff but she played with a lot of talented team mates I must have seen over 20 games, some of them several times and Hopkins played a sort of motion offense, using lots of screens and took plenty of 3's when defenses collapsed into the paint They also played mostly man to man and both trapped and pressed. For that and other reasons I am confident that Bueckers will become an integral part of the offense and defense very quickly.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I must have seen over 20 games, some of them several times and Hopkins played a sort of motion offense, using lots of screens and took plenty of 3's when defenses collapsed into the paint
Agreed. Cosgriff seemed to play a basic motion, read and react offense without the triangle and skinny post things that Geno does. Which means Paige is accustomed to spacing the floor, cutting to the basket, finding cutters, setting screens etc. What Cosgriff didn't seem to teach was the multiple options off of every offensive position on the floor. Also I never saw him run single, double or ladder screens, both fake or to set up a shot from the elbow. No high post screens nor is there much Hi/Lo game. No catch and shoot off the curl...and not enough pick and roll to my liking. A lot of rub screens though. His teams did however play tenacious defense both full and half court with not much switching. Lots of trapping in both full and half court. His teams were good passing teams and depended on pocket passing more than any of his competition. It was sad to see him leaving both the coaching and teaching arena. Good coaches like him are hard to find. His teams were fun to watch. Hopefully he'll show up somewhere else.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Agreed. Cosgriff seemed to play a basic motion, read and react offense without the triangle and skinny post things that Geno does...and not enough pick and roll to my liking.

They may not do a ton of P&R, but if you've watched the videos here you'll see Bueckers is about as good executing that play as anyone could possibly be.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Hopkins vs Robbinsdale Cooper - Feb 29, 2020

This game wasn't shown live.

Paige had 24 points and 11 assists in this one and, unless I missed something, was 11-11 from the field.

JordyG

Reaction Score
They may not do a ton of P&R, but if you've watched the videos here you'll see Bueckers is about as good executing that play as anyone could possibly be.
...and if you watch her in the FIBA games (each of which I must have seen 10x or more) you'll also see her doing the P&R as well as anyone. She's also the best pocket passer I've ever seen.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Fair and balanced that we are, it is only right that someone throw a stinker up here - even if it is my least favorite roundball "game". Yes, I mean the street fair 3 X 3! Paige, Hailey, "Sam" and Boston (I think) look like a team put together off the street. Summer of 2018.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Condensed game: Hopkins vs Wayzata for a trip to the state tourney - March 7, 2019

Paige scores 25 and makes plays all over the court.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Hopkins at St. Michael-Albertville in High Scoring February 2020 Game -2/18/20

Paige: 20 points, 11 assists, 9 rebounds

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I've posted this entire junior-season game of Paige's from the 2019 state semifinals before, but someone was good enough to make it into a 5-minute highlight package.

Paige finished with 28 points, 7 assists, 5 steals, and 3 blocks.

Enjoy:

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Hopkins plays at Holy Angels in 2019 Non-Conference game. Paige Bueckers scores 20 in 16 minutes

On January 22 Hopkins travelled to The Academy of Holy Angels in the 17th game of the 2018-19 Season for a non-conference clash of classes with the Stars. The score at halftime would have Hopkins up 48-20 enroute to an 87-43 final in mercy rule's running time.

Junior Paige Bueckers would score 20 by shooting 7 for 10. Paige also collected 7 rebounds with 5 assists, 3 steals in just 17 minutes of playing time.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Paige Bueckers scores 26 against Rivals at Minnetonka.

In the 15th game of the 2018-19 Season, Hopkins played a Lake Conference game at crosstown rivals, Minnetonka High School.

For the game, Hopkins had an efficient points-per-possession of 1.23 to Minnetonka's .52. An efficiency no doubt driven by junior Paige Bueckers' 11 for 15 shooting including going 2 for 3 from three-point range. Bueckers lead all-scorers with 26 points, 4 assists and 7 steals.

Reaction Score
Paige Bueckers' Toughest Competition of the 2020 Season

Paige Bueckers would score 30 with 11 points coming from the free throw line. She also added 9 assists, 7 steals, and 6 rebounds to the boxscore. Hopkins’ front court duo both registered double-doubles: Taylor Woodson scored 21 with 11 rebounds while Maya Nnaji had 19 points and 10 rebounds. Nunu Agara, starting in place of an injured Amaya Battle, scored 12 and KK Adams added 11.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nice SI article on Paige.

A few quotes that I think are new

“You have to have a little bit of cockiness,” Auriemma says, “and she’s got just enough of it. But at the same time, there’s a humble quality to her that I really admire.”

“She just reminds me of an old-fashioned kid,” Auriemma says. “It almost feels like 30 years ago when I first came to UConn—those kids walked around like, what’s the big deal? ... She doesn’t seem like this kid walking around with an aura.”

Timberwolves stars Karl-Anthony Towns and D’Angelo Russell, who sat at center court for one of the last games of her high school career. (She scored 33, with seven assists and seven rebounds.) “Next time, I need a jersey,” Russell tweeted. “She’s different ... sheesh,” Towns replied

Reaction Score
My favorite quotes:

“I just feel like I see plays two or three steps ahead.”

“The best thing I ever did,” Cosgriff says, “was stay the hell out of her way.”

To that end, she says she’s trying to cut down on her trash talk, but Cosgriff laughs at that idea: “She might think that, but I’ve had enough arguments with her to know, Paige has to have the last word.”

Nice article. Having watched her with Cosgriff I'd say he did a more than a little to make her better. He gave Bueckers a lot of talent and a system that had led to championships over many years and then he just let her run things. Of course his practices were intense and led to a pretty efficient offense with lots of scoring options. A bit overstated but he would tell her what to run and she just took over and got everyone positioned. And she made sure everyone got their shots.
She is a freshman but I am convinced that she will quickly become UConn's leader on the court mostly because other than Westbrook, who I don't know much about, the rest of the team isn't really interested in being the leader. And I don't mean that as a criticism. Bueckers had a natural talent for inspiring her HS team which was almost entirely freshmen and sophomores. She is perfect, a pg, a big mouth, fearless on the court, liked by her team mates and most of all she is comfortable doing it.
I'll speculate that Geno knows this and gave the books to the others so that it will be up to them to lead or else Bueckers will.

And as for my third quote I seem to remember Geno saying that Bird had to have the last say.

Reaction Score
Anybody see the video on instagram of Paige attempting an alley-oop dunk on Instagram? I was so impressed. I know she was a springy athlete but did not realize she could grab rim so well.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
We were talking about Hailey just the other day. From SLAM:

I did note in the Paige highlights that the score at one point was 58-7.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nice story in the Athletic

When former Edina High School coach Matt Nilsen heard Paige Bueckers would be going to UConn and the Huskies would be returning to the Big East, he had a conversation with his wife. Maybe they’d consider driving the five hours to see Bueckers play at Marquette or Creighton?

“There’s not a lot of kids I’ve coached against that I would probably ever go do that for,” Nilsen said with a laugh.

But Bueckers wasn’t like most high school players in Minnesota, and Nilsen had known that for a long time. He first saw Bueckers play when she was in fourth grade at a girls basketball tournament with his daughter, who’s a year older. Nilsen was immediately struck by Bueckers’ ball handling, passing and body control, years before she would join Hopkins High School’s varsity team as an eighth-grader.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Nice story in the Athletic

When former Edina High School coach Matt Nilsen heard Paige Bueckers would be going to UConn and the Huskies would be returning to the Big East, he had a conversation with his wife. Maybe they’d consider driving the five hours to see Bueckers play at Marquette or Creighton?

“There’s not a lot of kids I’ve coached against that I would probably ever go do that for,” Nilsen said with a laugh.

But Bueckers wasn’t like most high school players in Minnesota, and Nilsen had known that for a long time. He first saw Bueckers play when she was in fourth grade at a girls basketball tournament with his daughter, who’s a year older. Nilsen was immediately struck by Bueckers’ ball handling, passing and body control, years before she would join Hopkins High School’s varsity team as an eighth-grader.
I remember driving from Stratford, CT to Albany, NY to watch the incomparable Calvin Murphy play college basketball for Niagra in the late 60’s. Murphy, who was all of 5’9”, had been a star at Norwalk HS in CT. Due to his lack of size, all the big time college programs passed on Murphy. But Murphy turned out to be a spectacular college player who ultimately had a long and successful career in the NBA.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I remember driving from Stratford, CT to Albany, NY to watch the incomparable Calvin Murphy play college basketball for Niagra in the late 60’s. Murphy, who was all of 5’9”, had been a star at Norwalk HS in CT. Due to his lack of size, all the big time college programs passed on Murphy. But Murphy turned out to be a spectacular college player who ultimately had a long and successful career in the NBA.
Calvin came to Milford to visit us on a local playground one day (he was cousin of a friend of a friend). He was 9 levels above anyone else there as an 18-year-old. He had 35' range and could dunk.

He went to Niagra partly because he could be the halftime entertainment at the Buffalo Bills games--he used his hand-eye coordination to become a world-class baton twirler.

Calvin was the fastest guy in the NBA and a great shooter, before the advent of the 3-point line. If the 3-point line had been in effect, he could have been Steph Curry in the 1970s. Calvin was a career .482/.892 shooter and shot .958 on FTs one season (a record that stood for 3 decades). He is in the Naismith Hall of Fame.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Calvin came to Milford to visit us on a local playground one day (he was cousin of a friend of a friend). He was 9 levels above anyone else there as an 18-year-old. He had 35' range and could dunk.

He went to Niagra partly because he could be the halftime entertainment at the Buffalo Bills games--he used his hand-eye coordination to become a world-class baton twirler.

Calvin was the fastest guy in the NBA and a great shooter, before the advent of the 3-point line. If the 3-point line had been in effect, he could have been Steph Curry in the 1970s. Calvin was a career .482/.892 shooter and shot .958 on FTs one season (a record that stood for 3 decades). He is in the Naismith Hall of Fame.
Thanks Mil for re-informing people about one of the great athletic freaks that ever played basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom