Paige coming back!! Aubrey too!! (Merged) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Paige coming back!! Aubrey too!! (Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yes, I just linked another article in the post from Dec. 2023 that is 15. So I wonder which one is right. Must be the newer article?
In most places, basketball means men’s basketball. We’re not used to that in Connecticut

HOW MANY SCHOLARSHIPS ARE THERE FOR D1 WOMEN’S BASKETBALL?

• Division 1 women’s basketball scholarships per team: 15
  • Total number of D1 women’s basketball teams: 349
  • Average team size: 16

Reaction Score
I would expect the starting lineup for next year to be Bueckers - Shade - Arnold - Fudd - El Alfy with Griffin and Ducharme first off the bench.

Reaction Score
Tuff predicament for UConn. Alot of questions and I believe Geno knows already for the most part who's staying and who's turning pro and if Sara is coming. One thing you've got to remember. Geno said months ago he has two of the top 4 recruits and Sara is the only one left. Another thing Geno said was I will retire when I stop getting top recruits. Things can change but I feel alot depends on alot of decisions by our current players.

My opinion on Sara is she comes to UConn. Why is she waiting to commit, I dont know however many of your posts have made references to why and they all seem very logical. Now I know for a fact that Dawn has been made a big push to get Sara. I was told Dawn and her staff attended Saras, Senior Nigt. I was also told that Aja Wilson and Aaliyah Boston have been to Saras games. With that said does SC have room for Sara to play starter minutes? Well SC has Joyce Edwards coming and shes the number 2 player in the class and at 6'2 plays the same position as Sara. If you look at SC's roster and who's committed you have to wonder who will get starter minutes and who wont and how that could effect their roster next season??????????

I have always believed that top players expect starter minutes. Paige Azzi and Sara were all ranked number 1. Caroline ICE and Zeibell were ranked top 5. Jana came along way to play here and I would think shes another who is looking at starter minutes. ICE Shade and KK all have seen alot of minutes this year too. So I would think Geno is going 10-11 deep next season depending again on players decisions. We have a very powerful team if healthy next season. A whole lot of fire power and we will be very difficult to beat. It will be a few more weeks before we hear from everybody.
No matter where Sarah goes, UConn or SC, she will as a freshman have to do well in practice to be a starter. SC will be loaded next year, but UConn will be even deeper when you consider next years starting five, Paige, Aubrey (if 100%), Azzi, El Alfy, Shade or KK. Even with that lineup, Geno will probably have to give a lot of PT to Zweibel if she lives up to her billing. Sarah could break into that starting lineup and very well might as she is a terrific outside shooter also, but there’s no guarantee, since she’d be competing with El Alfy, Ice, Ayana Patterson, and Ducharme if she decides to start playing again. If Geno gets Strong, this could be his strongest team in years, and even without her, it would still be a very very strong team. Problematic for Geno to keep everyone happy.

Reaction Score
No matter where Sarah goes, UConn or SC, she will as a freshman have to do well in practice to be a starter. SC will be loaded next year, but UConn will be even deeper when you consider next years starting five, Paige, Aubrey (if 100%), Azzi, El Alfy, Shade or KK. Even with that lineup, Geno will probably have to give a lot of PT to Zweibel if she lives up to her billing. Sarah could break into that starting lineup and very well might as she is a terrific outside shooter also, but there’s no guarantee, since she’d be competing with El Alfy, Ice, Ayana Patterson, and Ducharme if she decides to start playing again. If Geno gets Strong, this could be his strongest team in years, and even without her, it would still be a very very strong team. Problematic for Geno to keep everyone happy.
Sarah would start. Aubrey wasn't starting this year and Geno won't rush her or tax her.

Sarah would be UCONN's 4.

Reaction Score
What is Las Vegas under/over on the number of posts related to "who should be the 2024-5 UConn starters" on the Boneyard?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sarah would start. Aubrey wasn't starting this year and Geno won't rush her or tax her.

Sarah would be UCONN's 4.
I don’t know that Strong starts at UConn as a freshman, particularly since Ice has started to figure things out and, over the past two games, is showing everyone why she was rated as the #5 player in her class.

Reaction Score
I don’t know that Strong starts at UConn as a freshman, particularly since Ice has started to figure things out and, over the past two games, is showing everyone why she was rated as the #5 player in her class.
Ice and Strong will start.

I don't believe we are going to get Sarah though. Unless that latest tweet from her mother was relevant enough - maybe Sarah wants to play with Paige for 1 year.

Reaction Score
Morgan's going to play all over. If UCONN doesn't get Sarah, I'd be interested to see if Geno would consider starting Morgan at PF. UCONN will have 2 pg's ahead of her - KK and Paige as PG's. Morgan is 6'3 and she seems strong. She'd be beautiful pressing which UCONN will do a lot. That will have to be their strength defensively. With a lineup of KK, Shade, Paige, Cheli and Brady - you'd still have 4 guards only one of them is 6'3.

Azzi, Caroline, Aubrey, Patterson, and El Alfy -- imo too much injury concern to have them start. All need to be brought along slowly. With Patterson and El Alfy also experience concern,. They all may have to come off the bench. You can't trust how many minutes they can play. I'm assuming CD might be cleared. I'm not going to speculate other than that. As of this moment she is member of the team so I reference her as well - as I should. As we should.

And unless Ziebell is “very extremely” special, I don’t think Geno wants Paige playing PF but had to this year. I'd be shocked if she beats out Shade with all the experience Ashlynn has had. UCONN is going to want to be a little more conventional to a certain degree imo. And imo this is what makes Cheli so special from what I saw is her versatility; she seems like she can play any position.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I agree, ... but think that the starting lineup might be (as you said) Aubrey, " if " 100%, thus I would add Azzi, "if 100 %".
I would consider ICE also as a starter during the early games... because of her CURRENT playing experience and the expected time it may take for Jana to get with the team chemistry and timing. Remember how long it took ICE to begin to develop some consistency?
I also see a completely different constellation of starters if GENO holds Aubrey as "first off the bench".

Reaction Score
Ice and Strong will start.

I don't believe we are going to get Sarah though. Unless that latest tweet from her mother was relevant enough - maybe Sarah wants to play with Paige for 1 year.
The only way Strong starts is if she lives up to the advanced billing about her being a lights out deep shooter. If that’s the case then it’s a replay of Maya’s freshman year when she started because she was a fantastic outside shooter.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
FE1DABA1-FEDF-4684-86DE-0723A99E6BFD.jpeg

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
In most places, basketball means men’s basketball. We’re not used to that in Connecticut

HOW MANY SCHOLARSHIPS ARE THERE FOR D1 WOMEN’S BASKETBALL?

• Division 1 women’s basketball scholarships per team: 15
  • Total number of D1 women’s basketball teams: 349
  • Average team size: 16

So D-1 scholarships are a full ride, but can they be rescinded?

Reaction Score
Not shocked that Aubrey and PB are coming back. Aubrey will have to get healthy. PB probably wants to win a title with Fudd if possible.

If the ladies are happy where they are, there is literally no reason to rush things.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
They are year to year. A school could opt not to renew it but recruiting over players already on the roster is a good way to get a bad reputation with recruits so it rarely happens in women’s basketball. Football is a different story

Reaction Score
Good point. I am excited that Ice is doing better and playing better. I love to see that from a player, especially at this time of the season. With Sarah Strong, if we are lucky to have her join the UConn family, a lot would depend on the play over the summer months. Who comes in ready? Which player is still recovering from an unannounced injury? Which player stays or goes? But I can see Strong starting as a freshmen. A post player like Strong, with solid court vision and ability to want rebounds, does not come along often. Her and Morgan Cheli on the boards, along with Ice and El Alfy. Our frontcourt could be a nightmare for teams. Lord help other teams if Aaliyah decides to run it back and stick around. Provided everyone stays healthy, buys in to their roles on the team, and understands the mission.

Reaction Score
Paige coming back makes so much sense for so many reasons.

1. She’s not using a COVID year, but just her redshirt year. In program history, I can only really think of Morgan Tuck electing to go pro instead of using her redshirt. She however won 4 championships so it made sense.

2. Paige had an ACL injury. Going to the pros means a long college season immediately into a grueling WNBA season. It’s probably wise to have a break before the next college season. By this time next year, she’ll be further removed from the injury and could handle that better. Maybe!

3. Her relationship with teammates, with Azzi especially. They’ve played 17 games together in 3 years. Even the thought of teaming up has to be something you want to at least give a shot. The two of them fully healthy also give you a great shot for a championship.

Her coming back really takes a lot of question marks out of next season. You have your best player and scorer back. With hopefully everyone healthy, you can put Paige back in the best spots on the floor to be successful, and build the team around that. Mainly no longer needing to play the 4.

Reaction Score
Yes, but they rarely are. In WBB it’s usually always because of academic or disciplinary reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom