Paige Bueckers Was Born to Play Basketball | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Paige Bueckers Was Born to Play Basketball

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I woke up this morning with a feeling of calm and anticipation of the day. Then the thought came unbidden, Paige is injured, and my stomach fell through the floor. Yes, it was visceral, and it was terrible. That's who she is and that's how I'll feel for quite a while.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Paige is trying to lead by example, but I’m not sure that’s working.
At least one other Husky has really upped her effort and that is Liv. Starting with the SC game when Liv battled heroically against the Gamecocks huge front line, Liv’s effort and toughness have been exceptional.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Why is Sue always left out of the GOAT discussion for point guards?

FWIW, I think there should be GOATs by position. Comparing Tina to Sue, for example, is kinda silly.
Just to point out, this thread didn’t start out as a GOAT discussion, but like most threads here on the BY it got sidetracked into one….;)

Reaction Score
At least one other Husky has really upped her effort and that is Liv. Starting with the SC game when Liv battled heroically against the Gamecocks huge front line, Liv’s effort and toughness have been exceptional.
I'll give that an Amen!

Reaction Score
Just to point out, this thread didn’t start out as a GOAT discussion, but like most threads here on the BY it got sidetracked into one….;)
True that.

Reaction Score
Solid thread. Paige is a one-of-a-kind talent. We all appreciate and love her for her basketball talents. We also know and appreciate her for her wisdom and maturity on social matters and her ability to handle a lot pressure. Paige is just awesome!

Reaction Score
Diana had the killer instinct which Geno says that most players today don't have. They're too nice and DT had no use for niceties. I remember one Final Four where she couldn't get a shot off because the defender was right on her. Finally she stepped back and sunk a three over her. As she turned back to head down the court, the camera was on her and you could read her lips; "In your face, you mother ———“

Reaction Score
I think we can all agree that Diana was a phenomenal, all-time great player. There is no slight made at what Diana has accomplished. In fact, she herself has commented that Paige’s skills are other worldly.
If I could make a more current reference to Paige’s “way” of playing the game it would be to compare her to Beth Harmon in The Queen’s Gambit. As Beth Harmon would lie in bed watching the chess pieces come alive on the ceiling (courtesy of pharmacological enhancements), I envision Paige dissecting the flow of the game in a similar way. She justs sees the game differently from everyone else. Combined with her skills, shooting, passing, anticipatory defense, etc., that is why I think she is the most complete all-around player.
I had the same thought regarding the comparison to Queen’s Gambit.
One slight difference: This is real.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I had the same thought regarding the comparison to Queen’s Gambit.
One slight difference: This is real.
Interestingly, it turns out that Beth’s ability to look up and see the chess moves was within her, not an effect of the pharmaceuticals. A life lesson for us all.

Reaction Score

FWIW, I think there should be GOATs by position. Comparing Tina to Sue, for example, is kinda silly.
I guess I just haven't been in such a discussion on the Boneyard. Sue's right there for me.

tcno2fan

Tina Charles No. 2 Fan
Reaction Score
This is a lovely post. And all true. IMO the only former UConn player comparable to her is Diana, who had the same brand of transcendence and court vision. And Paige is doing it basically a year in her career earlier than Diana did (and arguably doing it with greater output). Obviously, comparing players like this is futile but I do see the Diana “it factor” in her - a fully complete game with, as you say, elegant court vision and virtually unlimited weapons.

She is just so easy and fluid to watch.
My first post in the yard :) anyway, I have to agree. I watched Diana make several of those cross-court football passes this summer; she was the first one that came to mind when Paige made hers these last two games

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My first post in the yard :) anyway, I have to agree. I watched Diana make several of those cross-court football passes this summer; she was the first one that came to mind when Paige made hers these last two games
Welcome to the BY.

Reaction Score
Welcome to the ‘yard!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Interestingly, it turns out that Beth’s ability to look up and see the chess moves was within her, not an effect of the pharmaceuticals. A life lesson for us all.
We should use pharmaceuticals to discover the hidden powers within?

Evil Dead Ash GIF

Reaction Score
Interesting comparisons with Paige and DT, but one thing to keep into consideration; the difference in overall skill and athletic ability in WBB from DT college playing days and Paige is like night and day. There are a greater number of talented players and teams than just a decade or two ago. Not saying Paige or DT is better, but the level of competition is different.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Interesting comparisons with Paige and DT, but one thing to keep into consideration; the difference in overall skill and athletic ability in WBB from DT college playing days and Paige is like night and day. There are a greater number of talented players and teams than just a decade or two ago. Not saying Paige or DT is better, but the level of competition is different.
DT & Paige are both “generational” talents. But as you correctly point out, they are from different generations. In fact, DT is legitimately old enough to be Paige’s mother. ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I woke up this morning with a feeling of calm and anticipation of the day. Then the thought came unbidden, Paige is injured, and my stomach fell through the floor. Yes, it was visceral, and it was terrible. That's who she is and that's how I'll feel for quite a while.
Isn’t it interesting how emotionally involved some (not all) of us have become with a wcbb team and players we’ve never met? When they lose, your day is ruined, your food doesn’t taste good, and you’re not in a particularly good mood.

You can’t stop thinking about all the things they did wrong, or should have done. The lay up or put back that was missed, or the easy basket that was given up to the opponent.

But……….when they win a big game like they did over Notre Dame, you’re swinging from the chandelier grinning like a Cheshire Cat, happy as can be, and all’s right in your world. Talk about mood swings. :cool:

My wife who is not a wcbb fan, and could not care less about UConn WBB, has on many occasions told me she can tell whether UConn won or not by by actions and demeanor.

I didn’t realize I wear my emotions on my sleeve to the point that family members can read them so easily. :confused: Win or lose, I never discuss or mention game results with them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In the years that Geno has coached UConn WBB we have become used to seeing exceptional effort from his players. Jen, Sue, Shea, Maya, Gabby and many others, who left it all on the court, immediately come to mind. But I cannot recall anyone from the remarkable pantheon of UConn WBB players who gave a more extraordinary effort than Paige Bueckers, especially over the last two games. After the SC loss, Geno challenged his team to “get tougher.” Paige received Geno’s message and set out to will this team to another level with her play and her effort.

Against Seton Hall and ND, Paige was everywhere on the court. She was UConn’s best offensive player as well as the team’s best defensive player. She dove for loose balls, fought for rebounds among the trees, took charging calls, jumped every passing lane, all while running the offense and making one big play after another……and the plays Paige made!!! In yesterday’s game, Paige made several plays that no one else on the court could make, and she made them so effortlessly that you might just take them for granted.

In the first half, when Sam Brunelle, her former World Championship teammate, tried to make an outlet pass with Paige standing 3 ft away from her. Paige had perfect timing, snatching the pass out of midair, controlling it, dribbling by a stunned Brunelle and knocking down a mid-range jumper, hitting nothing but net.

Right before the half, Paige had the presence of mind not to throw up a 60 ft shot with little chance of making it. She spotted a streaking Christyn, dropping a perfect dime just over the outstretched hand of a ND defended for a crowd-pleasing, buzzer-beating layup.

In the second half, as UConn began to pull away, Paige made a steal on the defensive end. With two ND defenders positioned to cut her off, Paige turned on the afterburners, splitting the defenders like the parting of the Red Sea for a layup. Lastly, Paige made a quick move to attack the basket hitting a running, one-handed bank shot from 10 ft that would have been extremely difficult for just about any other player. For Paige, it was like making just another easy layup.

Paige literally transcends the game of basketball with her effort. A bloody nose earned in the SH game was just the start. Against ND, she hit the floor at least 6 times off the top of my head, and likely more. One play stood out. Paige dove after a loose ball in front of Maya Dodson, ND’s big post, getting run over in the process. That hit had her on the floor for a minute until she was able to collect herself and get back in the game.

Now we are all praying for the best and fearing the worst, waiting for the results of an MRI and the prognosis for Paige’s recovery. It’s a terrible, anxious feeling to have. Whatever the news turns out to be, everyone needs to see Paige back on the court as soon as possible, because we have never seen anyone quite like her. Paige Bueckers was born to play basketball.
Paige is a unique and superior talent with an uncanny and high BB IQ. I'm thrilled Geno brought her to Uconn.
Uconn has had some extra ordinary players in the Geno year. Sue Bird led her team. If it needed a basket, Sue gave it to Uconn. Her passing was rarely seen in Woman's (or men's) basketball. She carried her team many times but generally her supporting cast gave her support to the point all she had to do was pass and lead. If she had to score and lead and pass, ala Paige Sue would have done that.
DT, a true superstar. Even as she strutted and thumped her chest to Duke or Tenn fans she brought home victory over victory. So much so Geno proclaimed: We had Diana and they don't. Edit---I can't in good conscience leave Sveta out of the conversation, if only for the style of game she played.
Paige is Paige, I hate to anoint her a superstar but she is, she is extraordinary. This early in her College career I'm willing to put her in the Category of Sue, DT, Maya. She may excel more or less but to this point in her careers she belongs, at least in he conversations, with Uconn greats.
Sue is the reason I follow UConn Women. Watching her in home game was a unique experience. She, at least to me, was Paige before there was a Paige. In that category,,, Sue, DT, Maya, Tina, but Sue like Paige when the chips were down--put her team on her back and did what was needed. Half court shot at half time or driving layup for the buzzer beating win. Passing with her team was just fluid poetry in motion.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom