Paige Bueckers > first women's college basketball player ever to eclipse 1 million Instagram followers. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Paige Bueckers > first women's college basketball player ever to eclipse 1 million Instagram followers.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I really hope that 99% of them are kids her own age, and maybe the rest reporters, etc.
If not, it is pretty creepy. I never follow any of the kids on social media. Not saying YOU can't, but I think it's creepy when adults do it.
I don’t follow kids on social media either, but I think whether it’s creepy or not depends entirely on why someone follows them. In Paige’s case, if adults follow her because they are fans of UConn WBB or WBB in general, as well as the fact that she is a great basketball player and role model, I have no problem with that.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I really hope that 99% of them are kids her own age, and maybe the rest reporters, etc.
If not, it is pretty creepy. I never follow any of the kids on social media. Not saying YOU can't, but I think it's creepy when adults do it.
Well to some degree I agree with you. However, at this point The Kid's account isn't really a personal account anymore. It's a business for her now. So I don't think there is probably the same stigma of following a business account vs a personal account of a teenage girl.

Reaction Score
For those versed in NIL, can Paige and/or UConn set-up a fund or program to cultivate (and/or compensate) other UConn players (for) NIL opportunities?

I would think putting a mechanism in place would be a huge recruiting boon & likely necessity to maintain UConn’s program appeal for top players in this burgeoning NIL environment.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For those versed in NIL, can Paige and/or UConn set-up a fund or program to cultivate (and/or compensate) other UConn players (for) NIL opportunities?

I would think putting a mechanism in place would be a huge recruiting boon & likely necessity to maintain UConn’s program appeal for top players in this burgeoning NIL environment.
Interesting question. Paige did use her NIL relationship with StockX to secure high-end basketball shoes for all of her teammates. But I would fear that the type of compensation program you suggest would fall under illegal “booster” activity per NCAA rules.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If you are turning pro. why would the advertising opportunities diminish?

Reaction Score
Show me the championships. I really like Bueckers, but I'll take a Stewie type all day and twice on Sunday. Always let her game do the talking. I'd rather follow championships than product placements. Bueckers can accomplish both, but I honestly don't care what she does, or what she hawks, off the court.
^^^^^^^^^^^

Reaction Score
Ok, I will play along, is there ANY Women's Basketball player college or otherwise that has as many followers?

“On Tuesday, Front Office Sports announcedthat the guard became the first women’s basketball player to ever reach one million Instagram followers. While Sports Illustrated cannot verify that claim, as several WNBA stars such as Skylar Diggins-Smith and Te’a Cooper currently have seven-figure followings, the 20-year-old now has more followers than WNBA stars such as Candace Parker (992K), Sue Bird (646K) and Diana Taurasi (235K).

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
nnnn
The Cavinder twins reportedly have 5 million social media followers. Didn't check which platforms. But they are the college basketball social media queens.

Reaction Score
I followed Winston Churchill. He gave tutorials on different things. Painting, dictating speeches while naked, how to light a cigar and drink whiskey at the same time. I think he put Instagram on the map.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Ok, I will play along, is there ANY Women's Basketball player college or otherwise that has as many followers?
Just googled WNBA followers....#1 isn't who I expected it to be:

Skylar Diggins-Smith also has over 1,000,000

Cavinder twins put everyone to shame though with over 4,000,000 followers on Tik Tok.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Cavinder twins put everyone to shame though with over 4,000,000 followers on Tik Tok.
Should be interesting when the Cavinder twins go up against Miles / Mabrey . I could see them "testing" the $golden $girls.

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score

I think it's easier to get followers on TikTok vs YouTube subs and IG followers. Zoomers really love the short-video format. Source: I'm a millennial who has personally stopped riding on the latest social media trends including TikTok but have heard many anecdotes from friends and people I follow on YT, IG, and Twitch saying it's easier to get follows on TikTok (at least effort-wise).

Reaction Score
I have 3 followers on IG. Very close to becoming an influencer.

I find this whole thing about who has the most followers a bit disturbing. Other than the fact that I have no interest in this sort of thing, I see pictures of Paige and the C twins, all beautiful blonds, and wonder why the best player in the sport isn’t among them?

Reaction Score

I find this whole thing about who has the most followers a bit disturbing. Other than the fact that I have no interest in this sort of thing, I see pictures of Paige and the C twins, all beautiful blonds, and wonder why the best player in the sport isn’t among them?
cause Boston just cares about winning, Nil is a distraction whether people want to admit it or not.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Paige made a similar point at the Espy’s.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

Not sure if the proper word for this method of saying something without saying it is "innuendo" or "circumlocution", but well put! ;)

Reaction Score

WNBA players that are popular on IG is more because they look like a Te'a Cooper or Skylar Diggins vs. being the best player. Otherwise, Breanna Stewart would have more than 300k IG followers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom