Paige Bueckers: Anticipation and Efficiency | The Boneyard

Paige Bueckers: Anticipation and Efficiency

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
"Paige Bueckers may have been one of the most hyped-up athletes coming out of high school since Lebron James, and I do not think this is an exaggeration."
"On offense, Bueckers is efficient. Bueckers is shooting a staggering 58.7 percent from the field, 41.7 percent from deep, and 80 percent from the free throw line. Perhaps these numbers are why Geno Auriemma keeps saying that Bueckers is not being aggressive enough and needs to shoot more."
"Bueckers has incredible anticipation on offense and defense, which is reflected in her passing and rebounding. "
"Most freshman, even the all-time greats, need time to adjust to the college game, but we have not seen that yet with Bueckers."

I luv this! She did this with Williams in the Villanova game as well. Meg also pointed it out. It are these little things that are easily missed but are part of her playimg the PG. If you can't see the cut she will help by directing you.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Paige is even better than advertised. Her basketball IQ is off the charts. Not only does she see the entire court, but she has that rare ability to see what’s going to happen and anticipate the future. This ability is most clearly evident when she directs teammates to cut to an area that she knows will be open or when she poaches a passing lane on D......and she’s only going to get better.

Reaction Score
Very creative & unselfish are other attributes I would use. She could score 30 a night if she wanted to. You can check the film, but I would say a majority of her turnovers were not her fault - passes that he teammates were not expecting or where her teammates should have been. She's taking the game to a higher level.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
and she also has a coach's view when analyzing games. Her post game analysis of what changed in the Villanova game was quite advanced. Geno has said she studies the game and I see that more and more. Yes, she is very intuitive but also has a strong knowledge of the mechanics of the game.

Oh and by the way, no one is quicker to pick a teammate off the floor. Some times when she is on the other side of the floor, she runs a sprint to get there.

Last edited:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Lots of great comments here. I agree that she is better than advertised, which is saying something.

I don`t expect her shooting percentages, which are great (ok, three point percentage could be better), to fall off much. Might get better. The reason is that she is able to get "open looks" fairly easily, and very few of her shots are contested, forced shots.

She is able to create space through smart movement without the ball, seeing what is there - like when she is unguarded passing it inbounds along the baseline and immediately goes to the corner for an open, unguarded three. Smart basketball. Also, her ability to drive, beat her opponent off the dribble and get to the rim or to the foul line area for open shots.

And she makes difficult, twisting, layups in traffic look effortless that for many other players would look awkward. That takes talent but it also takes hours and hours of practice.

I actually expect her to make a higher percentage of those foul line jumpers - on some of those she has short-armed them and left them short, for whatever reason. Maybe a bit tired, heavy minutes in games that are packed together back to back.

I would also like to see her take control of the game earlier rather than letting it "come to her", I think she only had two points in the first quarter of the Villanova game on 1 for 2 shooting.

But those are minor nitpicky points to make, the overall review so far is A+.

We are lucky!

Reaction Score
The big game is coming...I'm looking forward to Baylor and I think she drops 20+ on them while also dominating in the other phases of the game. She has been very close thus far, just a bit off on her pull-up J's. Not for long though......

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The big game is coming...I'm looking forward to Baylor and I think she drops 20+ on them while also dominating in the other phases of the game. She has been very close thus far, just a bit off on her pull-up J's. Not for long though......

Baylor will be the test of the year because Mulkey is likely to stick Richards on her. Paige will have her hands full.

Reaction Score
Paige's insertion into the lineup was much anticipated. I know we are only a few games in, but she has not disappointed. Despite the absurdly small sample size, when compared to other UConn PG's, I think that she is already a better offensive player than Moriah Jefferson and Crystal Dangerfield. I think she already holds her own when compared to Sue Bird, Renee Montgomery and Jen Rizzotti. Who's left? The GOAT, Diana Taurasi. I am not sure anyone is ready to go there yet. For now, Paige Bueckers is must see TV. I look forward to seeing her against the big boys later this year!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Bueckers is overrated. Sorry. She's merely generational.
One of the amazing things about her is that she just does not take any bad shots...
What I liked about the game against Villanova was although she missed a ton of mid range shots they were all makeable, open shots. Even her shots from the arc were open shots. All of her misses were short, which said her legs were tired from 5 games in 10 days. I fully expect her to light poor DePaul up.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Paige will eventually average less turn overs per game once her teammates become more familiar with her play. Many of her turnovers are because her teammates aren't ready for her passes.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
...Who's left? The GOAT, Diana Taurasi. I am not sure anyone is ready to go there yet. For now, Paige Bueckers is must see TV...
For the sake of perspective, here's DT's Freshman stats:
GP-GS-MinPG-PtPG-FG%-3P%-- FT%-RPG-APG-StPG-BPG-TO-A/T
33--14--23.9--10.9--.444--.386--.878--3.2--3.3---1.2---0.9--2.2-1.5

Paige after 5 games
5----5---35.0--18.2--.587--.417--.800--6.0--5.8---2.4---0.2--3.6-1.61

A couple of points, DT became DT AFTER her freshman year. While her freshman stats were very good, she became great the next 3 years. Paige certainly can and will probably eclipse DT's freshman stats. If she leads this team to an NCAA Title playing well, she rightfully will deserve to be in that conversation...

Reaction Score
Bueckers is overrated. Sorry. She's merely generational.

What I liked about the game against Villanova was although she missed a ton of mid range shots they were all makeable, open shots. Even her shots from the arc were open shots. All of her misses were short, which said her legs were tired from 5 games in 10 days. I fully expect her to light poor DePaul up.
The way DePaul plays defense, they should all be makeable open shots again. Maybe for everybody. And probably 20 layups.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Will Paige become UConn's first 180 player since Sue Bird (.505 FG, .466 3PT FG, .942 FT) in 2001-02 or might her friend Azzi be the next Husky to achieve that accomplishment?

Reaction Score
Paige will eventually average less turn overs per game once her teammates become more familiar with her play. Many of her turnovers are because her teammates aren't ready for her passes.
And when she gets her feet in line with her dribble and stops the walking her turnovers will basically cut in half. I was glad to see no walks in the Villanova game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
"Paige Bueckers may have been one of the most hyped-up athletes coming out of high school since Lebron James, and I do not think this is an exaggeration."
"On offense, Bueckers is efficient. Bueckers is shooting a staggering 58.7 percent from the field, 41.7 percent from deep, and 80 percent from the free throw line. Perhaps these numbers are why Geno Auriemma keeps saying that Bueckers is not being aggressive enough and needs to shoot more."
"Bueckers has incredible anticipation on offense and defense, which is reflected in her passing and rebounding. "
"Most freshman, even the all-time greats, need time to adjust to the college game, but we have not seen that yet with Bueckers."

I luv this! She did this with Williams in the Villanova game as well. Meg also pointed it out. It are these little things that are easily missed but are part of her playimg the PG. If you can't see the cut she will help by directing you.

It has been said numerous times here, the best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores. Here is a scary thought, especially for our opponents. This is the worst Paige will play during her time here. She’ll play much better, and have a year of experience under her belt Next year.

As good as she is, there’s no substitute for experience. Mistakes and errors in judgment she’s making now, won’t be made going forward.

Not to mention that Azzi will be here next season, who’s game she is very familiar and comfortable with as they have played together many times.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
And when she gets her feet in line with her dribble and stops the walking her turnovers will basically cut in half. I was glad to see no walks in the Villanova game.

This was only her 5th game. She’s still getting her sea legs. I expect to see a much improved and “buttoned up” Paige against DePaul. The team will no doubt watch all 5 games again before their next one. They’ve got lots of time on their hands.

Reaction Score
Note from Captain Obvious - the greatest players continually improve. Not worried how Paige performs in the Baylor and other Top 10 games. She is special and will learn from whatever the game presents and get better and better as the season and her career develops.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom