Paige and Wayne Gretzky | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Paige and Wayne Gretzky

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Somewhat. The Steeler defense however was designed to free Lambert and keep OL's and backers off of him.
Shall I need you or Mean Joe Greene? ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Orr got into his share of scraps. But after his knees were shattered Sanderson and the other Bruins fought for him. Especially Sanderson. Yeah, I'm an old hockey fan too.
The Bruins and the Celtics got me through the boredom of law school. Derek all but crowed like a rooster when he was shown the door to the penalty box.

Reaction Score
Yes, they were, mostly because Gretzky was out there the entire two minutes killing the penalty!
He meant that it seemed like the Oilers always had a man advantage when Gretzky was on the ice. (power play)
BTW go to youtube and watch Bobby Orr singlehandedly kill a penalty. No one could catch him.

Reaction Score
The Gretzky comparison is relevant, but I think a better basketball comparison would be Isaiah Thomas. We marvel at Paige ability to turn it on, seemingly score at will, while noting her “get teammates involved first” approach to the game, and her seamless and fluid style of play.
All of the above were reminiscent of Isaiah Thomas. There were always moments in ”major” or playoff games when he would simply take over. When Isaiah wanted to score, he was seldom stopped. However, like Paige, he knew he was the “man” and he didn’t need a stuffed stats page for proof.
I always admired Isaiah for his competitiveness and style of play. I equally admire Paige and appreciate the similarities.

Reaction Score
The Gretzky comparison is relevant, but I think a better basketball comparison would be Isaiah Thomas. We marvel at Paige ability to turn it on, seemingly score at will, while noting her “get teammates involved first” approach to the game, and her seamless and fluid style of play.
All of the above were reminiscent of Isaiah Thomas. There were always moments in ”major” or playoff games when he would simply take over. When Isaiah wanted to score, he was seldom stopped. However, like Paige, he knew he was the “man” and he didn’t need a stuffed stats page for proof.
I always admired Isaiah for his competitiveness and style of play. I equally admire Paige and appreciate the similarities.
Welcome to the BY.

Reaction Score
Excellent Post!
Not nitpicking but just bantering, trying to come up with the perfect analogy.
Wasn't his advantage pure quickness? Great players need about an inch. I would argue he got his inch with quickness. I think Paige, like Wayne gets her advantage with court sense. The game moves in slow motion for them. They see the other 9 players (hoops) , how they are moving and then they make educated decisions on what to do. She makes complex moves with total fluidity. She does so much in full stride. It's so fun to watch! Geno says that "you can't speed Paige up". He says that like he's marveled by it.
It would be fascinating to see some sort of scientific print of what various athletes see and feel during a play. I bet in high school I would have seen and felt the ball, the basket, and hopefully the player guarding me.

Reaction Score
Comparing Paige to Wayne Gretzky is a bridge too far.

At the age of 19 (i.e. a year younger than Paige now), Gretzky led the NHL in total points (goals plus assists) and was MVP.

I don't like comparing female athletes to male athletes (haven't there been enough great female basketball players), but to do so with the greatest hockey player ever is silly (at least as of today).

Reaction Score
Comparing Paige to Wayne Gretzky is a bridge too far.

At the age of 19 (i.e. a year younger than Paige now), Gretzky led the NHL in total points (goals plus assists) and was MVP.

I don't like comparing female athletes to male athletes (haven't there been enough great female basketball players), but to do so with the greatest hockey player ever is silly (at least as of today).
All anyone is doing here is comparing some of Gretzky's traits with some that Paige has. I don't see anything silly about that. No one is saying that Paige is as great in sports history as Gretzky, or that she ever will be.

Reaction Score
There are some good comparisons on here but one I like is with Nate "Tiny" Archibald. In 1972-73 he lead the league in both scoring and assists. The only player in NBA history to lead in both categories in the same season. As we know, Paige has the ability to do either (score or dish) as the circumstances warrant.

This is in his Wikipedia bio. Sound familiar?

Archibald was a willing passer and an adequate shooter from midrange. However, it was his quickness, speed and shiftiness that made him difficult to guard in the open court, as he would regularly drive past defenders on his way to the basket.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom