Paige and Wayne Gretzky | The Boneyard

Paige and Wayne Gretzky

Reaction Score
I have posted on this comparison before on BY.

Paige doesn't look physically special, as D, Maya, and Stewie each did, in different ways of course.

But, she is so very, very talented.

The athlete she reminds me of is WayneG. He was not that fast a skater, and bench pressed the least of anyone on the Oilers. But, he was the greatest hockey player of all time.

One other thing about PB is that she can raise the level of her teammates.

When Stewie graduated, I told myself that I would never see a player again as talented. I think I was wrong.

Reaction Score

Paige doesn't look physically special, as D, Maya, and Stewie each did, in different ways of course.

The athlete she reminds me of is WayneG. He was not that fast a skater, and bench pressed the least of anyone on the Oilers. But, he was the greatest hockey player of all time.

When Stewie graduated, I told myself that I would never see a player again as talented. I think I was wrong.
What an apt comparison! Paige, like Gretzky is always two steps ahead of everyone else. As some used to say about Gretzky, she is playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers!

Reaction Score
For all the hype about Azzi… she’s no Paige. PB is just another level.

Reaction Score
Even at even strength, the Oilers always seemed to be on the power play when Gretzky was on the ice.

Reaction Score
the "GREAT ONE(s)", soon to have a few more added, maybe A. F. or C.D. or
D.J. and / or A. De??

Reaction Score
She seemingly "glides" to the basket, and once near the hoop her body control is off the charts - turning, shifting, and adjusting to get that shot off perfectly. What a wonderful talent.
Agree. That's the Maravich analogy IMO

Reaction Score

Great analogy!
You didn't really say why, except that he made his teammates better. Like to hear more...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I would also compare Paige to Nikola Jokic. Both of their appearances are unassuming while hiding their incredible variety of shots, great body control, high basketball IQ's, great passing abilities, clutch genes, will to win, and great shooting range.

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
I would also compare Paige to Nikola Jokic. Both of their appearances are unassuming while hiding their incredible variety of shots, great body control, high basketball IQ's, great passing abilities, clutch genes, will to win, and great shooting range.
Just don't give her Nikola's temper :mad: :D

JordyG

Reaction Score
Just don't give her Nikola's temper :mad: :D
The Morris brothers in the Association have a certain reputation, and the foul, which looked flagrant to me, committed on Jokic which led to Jokic's bull rush was well earned. Jokic got suspended for one game, but the idea that because he may look innocuous you can treat him like spit. That was laid to rest. Jokic clearly said enough is enough. Kendrick Perkins said the other day that when in HS his coach told him that the guy he would be up against was a tough mark. The coach told him on the first play when the refs turned their back to give the guy a hard elbow. If he doesn't respond back in kind then that guy could be had the whole night. Truth is I hope Paige responds back if some player decides to get dirty.

Reaction Score
The Morris brothers in the Association have a certain reputation, and the foul, which looked flagrant to me, committed on Jokic which led to Jokic's bull rush was well earned. Jokic got suspended for one game, but the idea that because he may look innocuous you can treat him like spit. That was laid to rest. Jokic clearly said enough is enough. Kendrick Perkins said the other day that when in HS his coach told him that the guy he would be up against was a tough mark. The coach told him on the first play when the refs turned their back to give the guy a hard elbow. If he doesn't respond back in kind then that guy could be had the whole night. Truth is I hope Paige responds back if some player decides to get dirty.
Remember hockey has its medieval rules about fighting and other things like checking the goalie, etc. Players like Gretzky have people fight for them. Including fighting in the equation, my hockey GOAT is Bobby Orr. That dude, being a defenseman, was a tough son-of-a-gun. I think Paige will hold the lofty status that she has now through her college years. WNBA she may have to make a few points.
(I still don't like how Carrington actually thought she was going to block Paige without fouling her.)

JordyG

Reaction Score
Remember hockey has its medieval rules about fighting and other things like checking the goalie, etc. Players like Gretzky have people fight for them. Including fighting in the equation, my hockey GOAT is Bobby Orr. That dude, being a defenseman, was a tough son-of-a-gun. I think Paige will hold the lofty status that she has now through her college years. WNBA she may have to make a few points.
(I still don't like how Carrington actually thought she was going to block Paige without fouling her.)
Orr got into his share of scraps. But after his knees were shattered Sanderson and the other Bruins fought for him. Especially Sanderson. Yeah, I'm an old hockey fan too.

Reaction Score
Orr got into his share of scraps. But after his knees were shattered Sanderson and the other Bruins fought for him. Especially Sanderson. Yeah, I'm an old hockey fan too.
Good one! My last name is Hodge, so my favorite player on those 70's Bruins was Kenny Hodge- Right Wing.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I agree with your post. It reminded me of a Kiah Stokes statement concerning Stewart as a freshman. She said when you first see Stewart, she does not look like really good basketball player. But then you get on the court with her, your opinion changes. As I type this I remember another unlikely looking superior player, Jack Lambert, 6'4" 204lb. middle linebacker, of the 70s Steelers. Joe Greene said something like: As a football player he doesn't pass the eye test. (opening his eyes wide) But he can play football!!! Neither Paige nor Wayne pass the eye test, but they can play!!!

JordyG

Reaction Score
I agree with your post. It reminded me of a Kiah Stokes statement concerning Stewart as a freshman. She said when you first see Stewart, she does not look like really good basketball player. But then you get on the court with her, your opinion changes. As I type this I remember another unlikely looking superior player, Jack Lambert, 6'4" 204lb. middle linebacker, of the 70s Steelers. Joe Greene said something like: As a football player he doesn't pass the eye test. (opening his eyes wide) But he can play football!!! Neither Paige nor Wayne pass the eye test, but they can play!!!
Somewhat. The Steeler defense however was designed to free Lambert and keep OL's and backers off of him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom