Pace and Tempo | The Boneyard

Pace and Tempo

Reaction Score
Anyone watch the UCLA/Kentucky or the Kansas/Oregon games? Was awesome, entertaining basketball. Great passing and fluidity to the game. These squads were leaps and bounds ahead of us this year but hopefully we'll be back

The pace and tempo was reminiscent of times when we averaged 75-85pts/game. KO always talks about getting up and down but we almost never score in transition, even with bigs this year that could run the floor (facey, brimah faster than your average). And our half court game usually revolves around running the high weave until there's about 10 seconds left in the clock.

Don't make this an injury or personnel thread. Stylistically, need to improve our offensive pace and score the basket. Just don't know how we've failed at that so much recently. A season is one thing, but 4-5yrs is a trend.

Reaction Score
4-5 years? Won a National title in 2014 I thought but maybe I was dreaming. I know those team above have a ton of them as of late, but hey who needs NC's when you look stylish.

Have to have playmakers to make plays no doubt, need some. Those teams have them, hopefully that all changes for our Huskies.

Reaction Score
Every year KO has talked about playing that sort of basketball and in 5 years at the helm we have never been close to a running team. Some of this is due to our issues rebounding, some due to the fact that the quick outlet pass is apparently a skill that none of our players have ever learned. I'm begging for it to happen next year and when KO says that it will at the preseason breakfast thing, I'll yet again, believe it.

Reaction Score
Every year KO has talked about playing that sort of basketball and in 5 years at the helm we have never been close to a running team. Some of this is due to our issues rebounding, some due to the fact that the quick outlet pass is apparently a skill that none of our players have ever learned. I'm begging for it to happen next year and when KO says that it will at the preseason breakfast thing, I'll yet again, believe it.

Have the guards to get this done but you can't hand off rebounds but unfortunately we've been short of outlet passing talent for a while. That needs to change.

Running and pressing more huh, actually maybe since 89-90 at those breakfasts LOL

Reaction Score
4-5 years? Won a National title in 2014 I thought but maybe I was dreaming. I know those team above have a ton of them as of late, but hey who needs NC's when you look stylish.

Have to have playmakers to make plays no doubt, need some. Those teams have them, hopefully that all changes for our Huskies.
Seriously? Don't get off topic. All would take a national championship over 80pts a game. But that team averaged in the 60s for the tourney so yes, maybe you were dreaming that our '14 squad was the epitome of offensive efficiency

Don't get off topic. It's a question no one asked in '14 because we were winning. But after 3 mediocre seasons in this style of play, question worth exploring.

Reaction Score
Seriously? Don't get off topic. All would take a national championship over 80pts a game. But that team averaged in the 60s for the tourney so yes, maybe you were dreaming that our '14 squad was the epitome of offensive efficiency

Don't get off topic. It's a question no one asked in '14 because we were winning. But after 3 mediocre seasons in this style of play, question worth exploring.

I guess my point is I will take the 60 point games and national title if indeed that's enough. You will notice most of these teams who are offensively efficient can't get a stop when they need to either. Hence why Cal only has one title with the nations best offensive players year in year out. And Self had his offense rolling how's he doing now?

Just win, that's all I'm saying. Get playmakers so you can make shots when you need we agree on that but if it's an ugly win over Butler in the NC and an awful offensive performance, pretty sure that's better than packing before the FF ends. We all want to see them score more, but you aren't getting 80 against anyone not named Coppin State when you can't throw the ball in to your 5 and you basically are playing 4 on 5 for 4 years. That trend needs to change and I'm not quite sure we're there yet.

Reaction Score
I guess my point is I will take the 60 point games and national title if indeed that's enough. You will notice most of these teams who are offensively efficient can't get a stop when they need to either. Hence why Cal only has one title with the nations best offensive players year in year out. And Self had his offense rolling how's he doing now?

Just win, that's all I'm saying. Get playmakers so you can make shots when you need we agree on that but if it's an ugly win over Butler in the NC and an awful offensive performance, pretty sure that's better than packing before the FF ends. We all want to see them score more, but you aren't getting 80 against anyone not named Coppin State when you can't throw the ball in to your 5 and you basically are playing 4 on 5 for 4 years. That trend needs to change and I'm not quite sure we're there yet.
First civil response I've had in short boneyard experience

Definitely agree with you. Would rather win ugly, than lose pretty. The lose ugly is what increases my blood pressure meds

Respekt Maui, you're a legend

Reaction Score
Can't go wrong with Mau unless your talking patriot football. Smile!*****.

Thanks for the kind words and even after those you're "pretty much" spot on LOL....you may be able to add the Sox to that list of my fav's.;)

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
It's not even so much transition baskets, although I'd like those too. What I really want to see is a team that pushes the ball up the floor hard, that gets early offense - slicing through openings to the bucket, spotting up for open 3's, early picks out high to free the lead guard to penetrate. Don't let the defense get set, keep them scrambling.

I think Gilbert, Adams and Langford should be able to do this.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not that it means much but UConn lost to Oregon by 10 this year after starting very slowly.

Reaction Score
Offense is great and fun to watch and you need to be at least proficient enough on the offensive end...but defense wins championships in my opinion. Not sure who posted on here a couple years ago (maybe Jerry?), but it's pretty common that your national champion comes from a team with top 10 offense and defense in KenPom. I wonder historically which one is more important statistically? We've seen some pretty powerful offenses in this tournament, and most of them are no longer playing.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I want us to run the Paul Westhead offense but that is probably never happening.

pj

Reaction Score
It's not even so much transition baskets, although I'd like those too. What I really want to see is a team that pushes the ball up the floor hard, that gets early offense - slicing through openings to the bucket, spotting up for open 3's, early picks out high to free the lead guard to penetrate. Don't let the defense get set, keep them scrambling.

In basketball, offense is aggression. You have to push the opponent back on their heels.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

This is the Paul Westhead style. Look for the first available shot and press the whole game. You can't prepare for this because they are so well conditioned.
They won this game 149-115.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Up tempo OK but at the end of the push you have to have guys that can make 3 point shots, under bright lights in pressure situations. Need to have a Kemba or a Bazz with a sidekick Boat or Jeremy for that matter. it's almost that simple. One player has to get their own shot in any circumstance, the other can be catch and shoot. Kansas looked like us last night.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I opened the thread hoping they were visitors on campus.

Reaction Score
We showed the ability to lose to almost everyone by 10.

The point is, UConn can score on a loose defense, and they can look good doing it, no matter how successful that team is. But if the UConn D is going to give up 80 points, the chances of winning are minimal.

Jalen Adams had a great game because of Oregons defensive style.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Don't make this an injury or personnel thread. Stylistically, need to improve our offensive pace and score the basket. Just don't know how we've failed at that so much recently. A season is one thing, but 4-5yrs is a trend.

Thing is, you can't divorce the two topics at all. If you have elite guards, especially dual pgs or combos, you're offense looks much, much better. Even more so with bigs who can do the fundamentals (box out/rebound/set screens/pass/putbacks). The latter point is why, when looking at 2014, you didn't think the offense looked smooth.

And with injuries, your already limited fundamentals/potential is eroded even further.

It's not harping, it just is what it is.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
w

I believe this is in Durham's skillset. Not sure about the other bigs. Vance too, when he's at the 4.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

If we get rebounds, this is possible. If not, it's very very difficult.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

This is the Paul Westhead style. Look for the first available shot and press the whole game. You can't prepare for this because they are so well conditioned.
They won this game 149-115.

I personally think that this style doesn't work as well in college, due to the skill level of the players. The Suns could score at will, because their personnel was built for that.

Kids in college get cold more often, make more mistakes, aren't as good shooters, etc. But they can always fall back on D. Buckle down, max effort, and awareness. A great defensive team is tough to beat anytime, but way, way more so in the college game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom