PAC 12 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

PAC 12

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Cancelling basketball 3+ months in advance is absolutely ridiculous. Cancelling football is absolutely ridiculous as well when the guys actually at risk are the ones banging the drum that they want to play or coach. For every 2-3 guys that say they're out, there's 97 that want to play, but no one seems to want to listen or support those arguments which is wild.

Where are these numbers coming from?

Reaction Score
and the virus is primarily confined to high risk candidates (elderly and those with comorbidities)

Agree with most of what you said but this part is not true at all. Confined means limited to and that’s certainly not the case.

Reaction Score
I asked my doctor about obesity....

I have a heavy frame...played football in high school, rugby through my 30's, soccer into 50's...

Lift three times a week and do my three miles...am still fairly solid...6'1 and 250

Yet..I wear a 55 jacket (I have them tailored and I don't like them tight)...and the BMI has me at "Obese"....and 60 pounds over normal range....

Doc said don't sweat it...you are fit, you have good lungs, your heart pumps well....charts aren't made for everyone.

Reaction Score
Agree with most of what you said but this part is not true at all. Confined means limited to and that’s certainly not the case.
Just because you do not like the word I chose does not necessarily make the statement untrue. 80% of the CDC reported deaths can be attributed to the elderly (individuals 65 or older). And, it is not a stretch to assume the remaining 20% involved comorbidities since patients with an underlying condition are believed to be 6x more likely to be hospitalized and 12x more likely to die, compared with those who have no such condition according to a recent Medscape report. I would say the above is a limited segment of the population, wouldn’t you?

I will concede that perhaps I could have chosen a better word but in the time of COVID the term confined just seemed to fit.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Just because you do not like the word I chose does not necessarily make the statement untrue. 80% of the CDC reported deaths can be attributed to the elderly (individuals 65 or older). And, it is not a stretch to assume the remaining 20% involved comorbidities since patients with an underlying condition are believed to be 6x more likely to be hospitalized and 12x more likely to die, compared with those who have no such condition according to a recent Medscape report. I would say the above is a limited segment of the population, wouldn’t you?

I will concede that perhaps I could have chosen a better word but in the time of COVID the term confined just seemed to fit.
what if I told you there were more dire long term effects of this disease that aren't death, that we're finding more and more about each day? Take of the tunnel vision goggles, man. This virus is tearing up peoples' hearts and lungs. Young, healthy people included.

Reaction Score
One of FSU's most beloved BB players...27 year old former captain, Michael Ojo, died this week in training...of a heart attack.

While no one is saying that it is Covid related..teh Big O did have a positive test while asymptomatic earlier this year...

Reaction Score

You are equating deaths to general risk which is not the same. Yes the majority of deaths are with the elderly but that is not the case with risk or transmission to/from any age bracket.

Reaction Score
what if I told you there were more dire long term effects of this disease that aren't death, that we're finding more and more about each day? Take of the tunnel vision goggles, man. This virus is tearing up peoples' hearts and lungs. Young, healthy people included.
I’d say that I would be happy to look at that information —- feel free to pass along

Reaction Score
You are equating deaths to general risk which is not the same. Yes the majority of deaths are with the elderly but that is not the case with risk or transmission to/from any age bracket.
No, you are. Life involves risk ... every day may be your last.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
A successful life means one was smart about the risks taken. No risks, no success. Dumb risks, no success.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I’d say that I would be happy to look at that information —- feel free to pass along

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score

Reaction Score

Thank you ... I will read.

Reaction Score

anecdotally, two of my friends who were among the earliest confirmed Covid cases in CT now have to carry an inhaler and their arms & legs periodically go numb. Which is pretty bad, considering their job often involves them carrying heavy things...and now they've dropped their expensive equipment a number of times. These are people in their 30s.

Reaction Score
At one point I think this thread was actually about the Pac12 cancelling Nov-Dec basketball, right?
So question - presumably this means USC is backing out of the Legends Classic. In the unlikely event there are early season non-conf events, any thoughts on who might replace them/potential UConn early season marquee matchup?

Reaction Score
[/QUOTE]
anecdotally, two of my friends who were among the earliest confirmed Covid cases in CT now have to carry an inhaler and their arms & legs periodically go numb. Which is pretty bad, considering their job often involves them carrying heavy things...and now they've dropped their expensive equipment a number of times. These are people in their 30s.
Are they obese or did they have previous health problems? Anecdotally all I know of is my friend's 91 year old dad who died from it but he only had weeks to live with Alz, my friend thought his 27 year old cousin died early on from it but docs say it was something else. I know a lot of people and that's all I've heard of, same for anyone else I've talked to. Pretty much everyone else I've read about was really old or was in bad health/obese.

Reaction Score
Are they obese or did they have previous health problems? Anecdotally all I know of is my friend's 91 year old dad who died from it but he only had weeks to live with Alz, my friend thought his 27 year old cousin died early on from it but docs say it was something else. I know a lot of people and that's all I've heard of, same for anyone else I've talked to. Pretty much everyone else I've read about was really old or was in bad health/obese.
Obese, though no other health issues. That's a big issue though, to be fair.

Reaction Score
Obese, though no other health issues. That's a big issue though, to be fair.
It's by far the biggest predictor of health outcomes associated with this virus and explains much of the reason why the US has fared so poorly and yet we hear nothing about it from health officials. It drives me a little crazy.

Reaction Score
There was a great deal of information to absorb (informative but often repetitive; citing same small sample studies). Much of what was written was based on supposition (no definitive causal relationship) and not isolated to COVID-19. For instance many respiratory illnesses involve some form of myocarditis (inflammation of the heart) or fibrosis of the lung. These, of course, are not good things and the volume of cases is concerning to say the least; requiring continued research and monitoring. But does it warrant shutting down the country? I would say not but UDOU.

I would typically say ... let’s get back to discussing the OP topic but it’s the PAC12 so WGAS.

Good health to all.

Reaction Score
Sports are being played all around the globe. Soccer is on every day now, for quite a long time, at least a month at this point, maybe more. Not absurd to want college ball back in November, two months from now...or even with a delay. If they can do the NBA and MLB, no reason to think they can't find a way for college ball. Not the most outlandish thing. Covid is never going away, if you wait until it is zero we will be cooped up, basically, forever.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Sports are being played all around the globe. Soccer is on every day now, for quite a long time, at least a month at this point, maybe more. Not absurd to want college ball back in November, two months from now...or even with a delay. If they can do the NBA and MLB, no reason to think they can't find a way for college ball. Not the most outlandish thing. Covid is never going away, if you wait until it is zero we will be cooped up, basically, forever.
We can certainly make sacrifices in the name of finding out all we can about the long term health effects. What's the worst that happens if we cancel sports for a year, versus the worst that can happen if we (continue to) find out that there are long lasting cardiac, pulmonary, and nervous system issues in the infected population and continue to send amateur athletes into unsafe environments for the sake of entertainment?

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Over 1/3 of all Americans are obese.
plus, when you add in things like asthma, hypertension, and smokers, there are very very few Americans with no "pre-existing conditions."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom