PAC 12 Tourney

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Stanford escapes UCLA 67-62

And

Oregon State is struggling against Colorado. Down 59-54 with 5 minutes to go. Yes. Down.

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
Colorado leads Oregon State 63-60 with 95 seconds to go

Reaction Score
This Oregon State team is not very impressive to me. They are in big trouble against the 9 seed and I can't see much difference in athleticism between them. They are not adjusting to their 3's not falling.

Charlie Creme has Maryland and Oregon State as the 1-2 out west? Wow would that be a shame.

Reaction Score
OSU with terrible execution down the stretch. Just terrible. Chucking deep shots and no help defense.

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
Oregon State goes down 68-65 to #9 seed Colorado

PAC12 champ goes out in quarter finals.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Have a feeling Stanford is going to win that Tournament. Tara is the best coach out there by a mile.

Reaction Score
I have seen both Colorado and OSU play a common opponent, ASU, and I would have never figured this result. OSU is just so much more physically gifted. A bunch of players must have had really off nights. Now it'd appear that Stanford could take it all, though the ASU-Stanford game tomorrow may tell the tale.

Reaction Score
I've watched a fair number of PAC-12 games this year and, in spite of the claim earlier this year that it's a much improved conference, the sad fact is that it isn't. In fact, I'd say that the conference, overall, is only marginally better than the AAC...that's AAC, not ACC. There probably is not a PAC-12 team that deserves to be in the final 8, but, unfortunately, if Creme is right about where the committee is headed they will probably get a lot of very favorable seedings and may get a team past the sweet 16.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
really Pac-12 marginally better than AAC? with two top 10 teams? and Cal is extremely dangerous, or as the Pac-12 broadcasters admitted tonight, they learned that Boyd is the best player in the conference. Oregon State just had a really bad night. They typically are solid inside AND outside.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Probably moves Oregon State back solidly to a #3 seed and solves the problem of having the bottom #2 in Spokane. Now, assuming MD winds up with the fourth #1 (and there's still a huge amount of action before the #1 and #2s are nailed down), UTenn could be sent to Spokane. But the outcome of the SECT could change everything around.

Reaction Score
really Pac-12 marginally better than AAC?

Actually, yes. I wrote a fairly lengthy analysis of why I believe the PAC-12 won't get anyone to the elite 8, and possibly no one to the sweet 16, but the site crashed when I tried to post it and I have no desire to recreate the research. Bottom line is I think the best they can hope for is probably one or two teams to the sweet 16...

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
really Pac-12 marginally better than AAC? with two top 10 teams? and Cal is extremely dangerous, or as the Pac-12 broadcasters admitted tonight, they learned that Boyd is the best player in the conference. Oregon State just had a really bad night. They typically are solid inside AND outside.

Bad night? Seriously! Even a moderately good team having a bad night should manhandle Colorado. Have to agree with Frodo. Earlier in the year I thought perhaps the PAC-12 was improved this year, but as the season has progressed I've changed my mind. The PAC-12 might get 3 to sweet 16, but only because they're likely to get overly favorable seedings from the committee.

Reaction Score
P.S. Boyd is not the best player in the PAC-12...Jillian Alleyne is...she just happens to play for a pretty lousy Oregon team.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The problem with evaluating the PAC is you seem to be trying to do it by analyzing the games internally and based on how games look. That isn't going to work. The problem is that there isn't a lot of non-conference games against better competition that anyone has seen to really get a good picture of the conference. Stats don't tell the whole story.

Like some of the rating talk, it depends how you look at it. The bottom end includes 2 awful and up to 4 mediocre teams that, in fact are certainly weaker than some mid-major teams. The top 4 for sure are probably 2nd to 4th place teams in the other power conferences, and at worst on a level with USF in the American.

Gate81

Reaction Score
P.S. Boyd is not the best player in the PAC-12...Jillian Alleyne is...she just happens to play for a pretty lousy Oregon team.
guess you didn't watch her semifinal game? gets slammed down, gets back up and converts free throw...spark of the whole team. Jillian Alleyne plays a different position and yes excellent scorer and rebounder but her shots are from a few feet away. When Boyd is in the paint it's either a fast break she initiated or where she amazingly scores over people 8 inches taller than her.

Gate81

Reaction Score
Bad night? Seriously! Even a moderately good team having a bad night should manhandle Colorado. Have to agree with Frodo. Earlier in the year I thought perhaps the PAC-12 was improved this year, but as the season has progressed I've changed my mind. The PAC-12 might get 3 to sweet 16, but only because they're likely to get overly favorable seedings from the committee.
think CO is one of those teams that made great progress throughout the season and is a very different team today than 2 months ago but won't get an NCAA bid to show their strength. Nonetheless, good point that great teams don't lose to anyone but other great teams.

Reaction Score
The problem with evaluating the PAC is you seem to be trying to do it by analyzing the games internally and based on how games look. That isn't going to work.

Actually, in the long post that never made it I did exactly the opposite...I evaluated them based, not only on what I see when I watch their conference games, but how they fared out of conference and a lot of statistical analysis. Frankly, the one that shocked me the most was Stanford...take a look at their rankings across the board...it's really staggering. They may prove me wrong, but unless they get better seedings than they deserve...which I'm afraid they will...I'm betting that the PAC-12 overall performance in the tournament is going to be poor.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Looks like a very good chance Stanford wins the Pac12 in spite of being ranked lower than 2 other teams in the league. OSU losing to Colorado was not only surprising, but takes much of the luster off the Pac12 championship game. Not that Stanford vs. Cal isn't a worthy game, but given how the season played out, the more dramatic game on paper would have been OSU vs. ASU...

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Interesting stat from yesterdays Stanford win over ASU.
At one point in the second half the fouls were 17 for Stanford and 2 for ASU.
Halfway through the 2nd half it was 11 to 1.
Second half fouls wound up 17-8, as ASU was fouling a lot at the end of the half.
Stanford is not the most physical team out there.
Just curious, has this type of discrepancy ever happened to UConn and if so, how did Geno react? Or how do you think he would have reacted?

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
Great game on ESPN.

Cal and Stanford tied in the second half.

And of course they have brought up the UCONN win by Stanford about half dozen times

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
I think the refs want a Stanford victory. Some of the calls against Cal are questionable at best

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
shame on the other Pac 12 teams for letting Stanford win it this year..... MAYBE next year some other team will win

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I have said it before and I'll say it again. I watch other "top" team and am TOTALLY STUNNED at the complete lack of offense that is run and the amount of 1 on 1 play that these supposed "top tier coaches" allow. I am not over exaggerating when I call it dreadful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom