PAC 12 in serious financial trouble | The Boneyard

PAC 12 in serious financial trouble

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
This is good. Makes them more likely to try to poach Texas & Oklahoma next conference realignment, which would probably lead to the destruction of the Big 12 and set off a mad scramble.

As long as we've got our stuff together, that's what we need. Worst case we'd end up with the best AAC teams and the rest of the Big 12 in a sort of AAC-on-steroids conference. Best case is obviously that both the Big 10 and ACC decide to go to 20, and we get our pick.

Would it be ideal to be in a conference with Okie State, Kansas, K State, Iowa State, Texas Tech, West Virginia, etc? Nope. But it'd be a lot better than what we've got now.

Reaction Score
They’re ‘in trouble’ only relative to the Big Ten and SEC.

They’re on easy street relative to every other conference in the country.
Yup - those two conferences have done an incredible job setting themselves up for the future. The PAC-12, ACC, and Big 12 have been incredibly shortsighted, which is why they’re way behind the Big Ten and SEC...but still miles ahead of everyone else.

Fortunately for the PAC-12, they have the built-in advantage of being located in a region no other major conference cares to compete with. The ACC and Big 12, on the other hand, are at risk of being carved up if/when the Big Ten or SEC ever feels like expanding.

Reaction Score
This is good. Makes them more likely to try to poach Texas & Oklahoma next conference realignment, which would probably lead to the destruction of the Big 12 and set off a mad scramble.

As long as we've got our stuff together, that's what we need. Worst case we'd end up with the best AAC teams and the rest of the Big 12 in a sort of AAC-on-steroids conference. Best case is obviously that both the Big 10 and ACC decide to go to 20, and we get our pick.

Would it be ideal to be in a conference with Okie State, Kansas, K State, Iowa State, Texas Tech, West Virginia, etc? Nope. But it'd be a lot better than what we've got now.

If I recall correctly, when Lew Perkins talked about the need to upgrade football, he talked about one of the end results would be the 5 major confernces would consolidate into 4 with 16 in each group & become 4 all-sports congerneces with the potential of breaking awy from the NCAA.. Thus far the only thing Big Lew missed with his projections is this aspect......

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If I recall correctly, when Lew Perkins talked about the need to upgrade football, he talked about one of the end results would be the 5 major confernces would consolidate into 4 with 16 in each group & become 4 all-sports congerneces with the potential of breaking awy from the NCAA.. Thus far the only thing Big Lew missed with his projections is this aspect.

There were six major conferences when Lew started talking about football.

He didn't speculate about consolidation amongst those conferences, he was just convinced that schools playing major conference football would eventually separate and form their own deal.

Yup - those two conferences have done an incredible job setting themselves up for the future. The PAC-12, ACC, and Big 12 have been incredibly shortsighted, which is why they’re way behind the Big Ten and SEC...but still miles ahead of everyone else.

Fortunately for the PAC-12, they have the built-in advantage of being located in a region no other major conference cares to compete with. The ACC and Big 12, on the other hand, are at risk of being carved up if/when the Big Ten or SEC ever feels like expanding.

The ACC is fine. It's nearly 100% owned by ESPN/Disney - they're not going to hurt the house band now that they're pushing an ACC Network.

The Pac12 is fine, long-term, for the reasons you've mentioned.

I don't see any way the Big 12 survives the expiration of its grant of rights. Texas and Oklahoma can make more money elsewhere and that will be fatal.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
I don't see any way the Big 12 survives the expiration of its grant of rights. Texas and Oklahoma can make more money elsewhere and that will be fatal.
What do you think happens after that to the less desirable brands in the Big 12? I could see a few finding homes elsewhere, but would you agree that a merger with the AAC is the likeliest outcome for the majority?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
What do you think happens after that to the less desirable brands in the Big 12? I could see a few finding homes elsewhere, but would you agree that a merger with the AAC is the likeliest outcome for the majority?

I don't see a merger.

Depending on who's left, the remnant Big 12 schools would likely remain as the Big 12 and they would backfill from the American and the Mountain West.

In essence, they would become the new American touting the "P5" while everyone else would be talking about the P4.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I don't see a merger.

Depending on who's left, the remnant Big 12 schools would likely remain as the Big 12 and they would backfill from the American and the Mountain West.

In essence, they would become the new American touting the "P5" while everyone else would be talking about the P4.

And likely not invite UConn for geographic reasons. (UT, OU, OSU, KU - out) TT, TCU, BAY, KSU, ISU, WVU add Cincy, HOU, BYU, (or USF/UCF)

UConn is at best 7th choice and we are back to begging the B1G to double down on NYC or the ACC to use us as backfill over the objections of BC/Pitt/Cuse/UL/Miami/Clemson should the B1G poach an ACC team to pair with KU.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't see a merger.
They can be the new American West Conference.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
And likely not invite UConn for geographic reasons. (UT, OU, OSU, KU - out) TT, TCU, BAY, KSU, ISU, WVU add Cincy, HOU, BYU, (or USF/UCF)

UConn is at best 7th choice and we are back to begging the B1G to double down on NYC or the ACC to use us as backfill over the objections of BC/Pitt/Cuse/UL/Miami/Clemson should the B1G poach an ACC team to pair with KU.
I mean, at that point if we don't get into a P5 we drop football and join the Big East.

Reaction Score
I don't see a merger.

A merger would probably be best for us but if a merger doesn't happen and we're still left out, that's when we'll have to start thinking about moving back to the BE and making a decision about football.

Reaction Score
I hope the FBI brings it all down.
Since P5 conferences have basically blacklisted UCONN, I'm with you on that. Tear this money mogul down and level the playing field even more.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Lets say OU and KU go B1G. PAC reaches out to Texas and say OSU. I think the remaining six Big 12 teams can't go back to just 10 teams, they'll need some big markets. I also don't think they'd look further west for BYU and . I think the Big 12 would have to consider adding Cinc Hou UConn Temple and UCF and USF. You'd have two Big 12 six team divisions, East and West. That would be our last best hope.

Reaction Score
The B1G will only expand for a huge get. That means something on the order of Texas or Notre Dame. The financial gain would have to be massive to justify the expansion.

Reaction Score
A merger would probably be best for us but if a merger doesn't happen and we're still left out, that's when we'll have to start thinking about moving back to the BE and making a decision about football.
Need to be invited by BE. Can’t just barge in.

Reaction Score
Lets say OU and KU go B1G. PAC reaches out to Texas and say OSU. I think the remaining six Big 12 teams can't go back to just 10 teams, they'll need some big markets. I also don't think they'd look further west for BYU and . I think the Big 12 would have to consider adding Cinc Hou UConn Temple and UCF and USF. You'd have two Big 12 six team divisions, East and West. That would be our last best hope.

UCF, USF, UCONN, Temple, WVU, Cinci. ISU, TT, Baylor, TCU, Houston, KState. Travel is improved slightly. A good conference.

Reaction Score

I don't see Texas going west. There is no benefit to them.

They make a deal with ESPN/ACC to do a Notre Dame type deal.

That leaves 7 B12 schools looking to get back to 10 somehow. The question becomes is UConn included or do they add Florida schools, Cinci, Houston or Memphis in some combination?

Either way the B12 is no longer a part of the cartel. The world will then be a P4 with the B12 & the AAC claiming they are the next in line for a "P5" position

Reaction Score
Big 10 does not want Kansas. Football is king, and KU football ain't worth poop

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom