Pac 12 Friday 1/19 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Pac 12 Friday 1/19

Reaction Score
Tudor is 13-18 behind the arc the last 2 games. Not bad.
They changed the way they played her after the earlier games when the opposition put a player in her pocket. She moves around quite a bit instead of just sitting in the corner. My perspective is that the Oregon St ball handling guards do not have good floor vision. They seem to focus too much on one half of the floor so they miss a lot of open players. They will be better once Slocum becomes eligible next season.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Yeah, I think you nailed it willtalk. The announcers kept saying all game long they missed Gulic on the low block. I can't understand why they kept passing into the corner when Oregon was doubling/trapping there so often.

I was getting pretty frustrated w/ the lack of production from everyone other than Tudor and Gulic in the 2nd half. But looking at stats McWilliams and Pivec combined for 17 points, 4-10 behind the arc, and 15 assists w/ 5 turnovers. Each made some big plays down the stretch. Probably none bigger than Pivec's corner 3 that gave them a 72-71 lead in regulation. McWilliams hit the clincher in OT of course.

Both teams got ZERO points from the bench. That must not happen very often, no bench points from either team for an entire game?!

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
@nwhoopfan

Have you ever been to Gill Coliseum? Looks like a great place to watch a game.

Not for a women's game, I'd really like to though.

Many years ago I saw a very average Oregon St. men's team w/ Brent Barry take down the O'Bannon brothers, Tyus Edney and company a few months before UCLA went on to win a National Championship ('95 I think?). The Bruins only lost 2 games that year and I was there for one of them.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I think you nailed it willtalk. The announcers kept saying all game long they missed Gulic on the low block. I can't understand why they kept passing into the corner when Oregon was doubling/trapping there so often.

I was getting pretty frustrated w/ the lack of production from everyone other than Tudor and Gulic in the 2nd half. But looking at stats McWilliams and Pivec combined for 17 points, 4-10 behind the arc, and 15 assists w/ 5 turnovers. Each made some big plays down the stretch. Probably none bigger than Pivec's corner 3 that gave them a 72-71 lead in regulation. McWilliams hit the clincher in OT of course.

Both teams got ZERO points from the bench. That must not happen very often, no bench points from either team for an entire game?!
Tudor----13 for 18 behind the arc in the last two games and only 4 shot attempts period in the previous 3 games. True Mc Williams and Pivec made some key shots at the end but I am still not enthused with their ball movement and choices. Weise last season was entirely too ball dominant and I think that really hurt the Beav's in their transition to this season. They should have beat Florida State in the Regionals last season. They had the lead but stagnated offensively because Weise was 1 for 11. I think Pivec often follows Weises example and tends to look for her shot first. But she is no Weise. Of course it is a difficult transition from shooting guard to point. I personally prefer Points who are distributors first and only look to shoot when other options are not there. The biggest challenge from transitioning from shooting guard to point is not the physical skill set but rather changing the mind set from scorer to distributor.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
They had the lead but stagnated offensively because Weise was 1 for 11.

That's been their downfall for years. Usually play good defense and control the boards, but offense can grind to a halt at times. As good as Tudor was behind the arc, she really saved the game when she drove to the hoop and hit a couple tough shots in traffic late in regulation. Weisner was pretty good off the dribble, they were missing that last year and aren't getting much of it this year either.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks for the running narrative!

The conference looks very balanced. Just when we think Stanford is dead, they rise up out of their grave (not Graves). ;)

Reaction Score
@nwhoopfan

Was at Gill Coliseum for the game. Also an OSU graduate who has seen many great games when the Men's Team was #1 in the nation. Gill can really rock, and tonight was one of the best OSU performances I've seen in a long time. OSU grew up a whole bunch tonight. For these OSU women, they learned they can not only compete, but can close out games. This was a heavyweight fight, one punch after another, followed by counter punches. Really fun game to be a part of at Gill. While Kat Tudor and Marie Gullich had big scoring games, Katie McWilliams & Pivec also had huge games tonight, just in different ways. McWilliams was the rock tonight defensively, and running the point. I read a few comments about the Beavers inability to penetrate, but if you observe their offensive schemes, they are a team that focuses on being patient with their offense, and working the ball around until they can make the 1st entry pass. From there it is either to hoop from the post or kick out for a 3, and tonight they did a nice job offensively. Marie Gulich was a beast tonight defensively. I also was so proud of her for demanding the ball down low. She was not going to be denied and she showed that she is one of the best low post players in the country, definitely best in PAC12. Fun game, and no doubt the crowd at Gill was a 6th man for the Beavers tonight. It was loud!

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
@nwhoopfan

I have been there twice for games vs USC in 2011 and 2014. I love going to those old buildings, and Gill is old. If Duke ever makes the trip out west you should go. Good atmosphere and I had a great time with a win and loss. About an hour south of Portland on I-5.

Reaction Score
Lotrader-- I suggest you try to watch the replay. Watching things live in an emotional setting can often distort objectivity. My take is not just based on one game alone. I stand by my take on the points focus on one side of the court and lack of over all court vision. If they were truely following the game plan of swinging the ball around the parameter then they would not be getting trapped on one side of the court constantly. But then perhaps my standards for point play are a bit high. Although many factors are involved court vision is not something that be developed. You have it or you don't. The main problem with Oregon St. is they have a lot of good off guards but no real point. This is not an insult to the off guards, but they are what they are and playing out of position. . As a whole they did cut down their turnover margin quite a bit in this game. Generally they all played a good solid game. The thing is that when Slocum becomes eligible one of the off guards will have to come off the bench.

Let me add that not only is their no real point, but the only real two guard is Pivic. Tudor and Williams are both wings. Tudor is physically more suited to be the two because she is quicker, but she lacks the experience at that position since she has always played the wing in high school. I suspect Rueck is trying to transition her to take advantage of that quickness. Williams should be playing the wing. It should be interesting what the coach will do next year.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This was a really huge win for OSU. Their dismal nonconference SOS is weighing like an albatross on their RPI, and they are going to have to win some of these big games in conference to catch up. (This win shot their RPI from the mid-70s to #57 for the moment.)

Oregon really, really, really missed Lexi Bando. The unfamiliar lineup gave up a huge 1st quarter and they couldn't quite recover.

But the Ducks will get their chance at revenge very soon, tomorrow in fact.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Don't have Pac 12 network but that looked like a great game between Oregon and Oregon St. Don't know if Tudor was matched up against Ionescu but Tudor's state line was most impressive. 34 Points on only 14 shot attemps-Wow!

Reaction Score
Lotrader-- I suggest you try to watch the replay. Watching things live in an emotional setting can often distort objectivity. My take is not just based on one game alone. I stand by my take on the points focus on one side of the court and lack of over all court vision. If they were truely following the game plan of swinging the ball around the parameter then they would not be getting trapped on one side of the court constantly. But then perhaps my standards for point play are a bit high. Although many factors are involved court vision is not something that be developed. You have it or you don't. The main problem with Oregon St. is they have a lot of good off guards but no real point. This is not an insult to the off guards, but they are what they are and playing out of position. . As a whole they did cut down their turnover margin quite a bit in this game. Generally they all played a good solid game. The thing is that when Slocum becomes eligible one of the off guards will have to come off the bench.

Let me add that not only is their no real point, but the only real two guard is Pivic. Tudor and Williams are both wings. Tudor is physically more suited to be the two because she is quicker, but she lacks the experience at that position since she has always played the wing in high school. I suspect Rueck is trying to transition her to take advantage of that quickness. Williams should be playing the wing. It should be interesting what the coach will do next year.
I completely agree with you that OSU desperately needs a true point guard (Destiny Slocum). Even Sydney Wiess was a wing that had to play point last couple of years. My point is that after seeing every game this year, in person or televised, the OSU coaches have adjusted well since the debacle weekend in Los Angeles (as have the players). OSU's offensive scheme is how it "should be" without a true point guard, and, the Beavers are improving in their offensive execution. It may not look like it to you, but trust me, it is getting optimized for their top 8 players in the rotation. This team can flat out shoot from distance, and have a very, very good BIG in Marie Gulich who's game is giving OSU a balanced inside-outside offense. The teams that give the Beavers fits, are those teams that can keep OSU from getting their offense started early enough in the half court. Beavers had 15 turnovers vs UO which would drive Geno nuts, but the Beavers had 25+ turnovers vs UCLA & 27 turnovers vs USC. OSU has improved their Turnover/Assist ration dramatically in the past 3 games. I wish we had Destiny Slocum in uniform this year, but the Beavers (and Destiny) are getting the benefit of her practicing with the team this year.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Don't have Pac 12 network but that looked like a great game between Oregon and Oregon St. Don't know if Tudor was matched up against Ionescu but Tudor's state line was most impressive. 34 Points on only 14 shot attemps-Wow!

Oregon had multiple defenders on Tudor (including 6'4 Satou Sabally). It didnt matter. Several of her shots were well guarded but she still hit them. And when i say hit them---they didnt dance around the rim. She swiped the net with each shot. I have the PAC12 network and watch a lot of PAC12 games at night. The Beavers played to win and they did. I dont think this hurts Oregon too much because its a rivalry game and those can go either way. I doubt the Beavers shoot that well in Eugene. We will see on Sunday afternoon.

Reaction Score
Tudor had every Duck guard/wing covering her last night. 7-10 three pointers vs UO last night, 6-8 three pointers in previous game vs Arizona. Kat (sophomore) has kept a positive attitude since getting shut down during the LA swing. If you haven't seen her quick release, she catches and shoots in one motion. Very difficult to defend. The key to defending her is not letting her get touches, and, bodying up on her and not giving her any space when she does have the ball. OSU has worked hard to keep her on the move, and setting multiple screens. Getting her the ball has also improved as OSU passing around perimeter, and, from the post has improved, giving her enough time to get shots off.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Oregon had multiple defenders on Tudor (including 6'4 Satou Sabally). It didnt matter. Several of her shots were well guarded but she still hit them. And when i say hit them---they didnt dance around the rim. She swiped the net with each shot. I have the PAC12 network and watch a lot of PAC12 games at night. The Beavers played to win and they did. I dont think this hurts Oregon too much because its a rivalry game and those can go either way. I doubt the Beavers shoot that well in Eugene. We will see on Sunday afternoon.
Tudor has one of the prettiest strokes in the game. The way the ball just comes off her fingers, it's just *different*. You have to see it to appreciate it.

Reaction Score
This was a really huge win for OSU. Their dismal nonconference SOS is weighing like an albatross on their RPI, and they are going to have to win some of these big games in conference to catch up. (This win shot their RPI from the mid-70s to #57 for the moment.)

Oregon really, really, really missed Lexi Bando. The unfamiliar lineup gave up a huge 1st quarter and they couldn't quite recover.

But the Ducks will get their chance at revenge very soon, tomorrow in fact.
Oregon did miss Lexi Bando last night. Sabrina finds Bando after penetrating defenses, leaving Bando open to square up and stroke 3's. The Beavers also impressed me last night. They are improving, particularly in their mental toughness (which showed up in critical stops at critical times, as well as hitting big shots which kept the Ducks from getting a head of steam). People forget that the Beavers are a pretty young team, and have lost lots of talent to graduation the past 2 years. Not worried about the Ducks, they are going to be fine come tournament time. They are a very talented team, and I don't see them going on any significant losing streaks in PAC12 play. Ducks are still the favorite to win the PAC12. Tomorrows game will be interesting. I expect a large turnout of Duck fans in Matthew Knight Arena. All the OSU Players commented on how much a difference the OSU crowd made for each of them. If you saw the national anthem sung last night, it was sung by one of the OSU Women's Basketball team members, and it got the players and the crowd fired up last night. OSU got a great contribution from this player and she didn't even get in the game.

Reaction Score
Tudor has one of the prettiest strokes in the game. The way the ball just comes off her fingers, it's just *different*. You have to see it to appreciate it.
Kat's shooting stroke is different. If you can imagine how your youngster shot with 2 hands when they were a little person, Kat actually shoots with 1 1/2 hands, if that makes sense? It almost starts out as a 2 hand shot, but finishes with 1 hand. Hard to visualize from words.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Tudor had every Duck guard/wing covering her last night. 7-10 three pointers vs UO last night, 6-8 three pointers in previous game vs Arizona. Kat (sophomore) has kept a positive attitude since getting shut down during the LA swing. If you haven't seen her quick release, she catches and shoots in one motion. Very difficult to defend. The key to defending her is not letting her get touches, and, bodying up on her and not giving her any space when she does have the ball. OSU has worked hard to keep her on the move, and setting multiple screens. Getting her the ball has also improved as OSU passing around perimeter, and, from the post has improved, giving her enough time to get shots off.
Maggie Lucas like in her catch release and she looks like she a little better off the bounce and move than Maggie was. I like will keep an eye out for future OSU games.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Was at Gill Coliseum for the game. Also an OSU graduate who has seen many great games when the Men's Team was #1 in the nation.

My parents went to OSU. I didn't, but I have an affinity for them.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Regarding the impact of Bando's absence from the game, she's been in a bit of a shooting slump lately. She's almost exclusively a spot up 3 point shooter, if she's not hitting them she doesn't contribute much. It's impossible to say since she didn't play, but she might not have had much effect on the outcome if she was on the floor.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Was at Gill Coliseum for the game. Also an OSU graduate who has seen many great games when the Men's Team was #1 in the nation. Gill can really rock, and tonight was one of the best OSU performances I've seen in a long time. OSU grew up a whole bunch tonight. For these OSU women, they learned they can not only compete, but can close out games. This was a heavyweight fight, one punch after another, followed by counter punches. Really fun game to be a part of at Gill. While Kat Tudor and Marie Gullich had big scoring games, Katie McWilliams & Pivec also had huge games tonight, just in different ways. McWilliams was the rock tonight defensively, and running the point. I read a few comments about the Beavers inability to penetrate, but if you observe their offensive schemes, they are a team that focuses on being patient with their offense, and working the ball around until they can make the 1st entry pass. From there it is either to hoop from the post or kick out for a 3, and tonight they did a nice job offensively. Marie Gulich was a beast tonight defensively. I also was so proud of her for demanding the ball down low. She was not going to be denied and she showed that she is one of the best low post players in the country, definitely best in PAC12. Fun game, and no doubt the crowd at Gill was a 6th man for the Beavers tonight. It was loud!

I dont remember Oregon State being #1 in basketball.... what year was that?

Just looked at the Box Score for the Duke game earlier in the season.... what has happened to Kaymer? I saw she played 30 minutes vs Duke. Dont remember seeing her in the game last night.

Reaction Score
Regarding the impact of Bando's absence from the game, she's been in a bit of a shooting slump lately. She's almost exclusively a spot up 3 point shooter, if she's not hitting them she doesn't contribute much. It's impossible to say since she didn't play, but she might not have had much effect on the outcome if she was on the floor.
Perhaps. I think it is tough for a team when they lose a starter, especially that 1st game. Team chemistry changes. I remember when OSU lost Sydney Wiess for 8 games in the middle of her junior year.

Reaction Score
I dont remember Oregon State being #1 in basketball.... what year was that?

Just looked at the Box Score for the Duke game earlier in the season.... what has happened to Kaymer? I saw she played 30 minutes vs Duke. Dont remember seeing her in the game last night.
1980-81 Men's basketball. For 8 weeks they were number 1.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom