PAC-12 Chaos | Page 8 | The Boneyard

PAC-12 Chaos

Reaction Score
It would be interesting to know if CU's out-of-state student body was more West Coast or Texas-centric back in its Big 8 days.

Reaction Score
Going to disagree with you here, at least a bit. I do believe the Big10 wants at least Washington and probably Oregon as well, but will not take them until others leave the PAC and it’s not viable anymore. I know it’s BS as they took the LA schools, but that’s the way I have heard. The Big12 has to pull from the PAC 1st.

I heard a rumor that it was supposed to be USC and Oregon, but the TV partners wanted the LA market for themselves and asked for UCLA instead of The Ducks. Another rumor was the former Big10 commish wanted the entire West Coast with USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon and UDub, but the presidents balked with that many new schools at one.

With those 2 schools (OU and UW), that gives 18, plenty of room for a couple of East Coast/ South East schools to join (along with a certain Midwest school I’d they decide to take the plunge).
Oregon, Washington 'Vetted and Cleared' to Join Big Ten

The Oregon Ducks and Washington Huskies have reportedly been “vetted” and “cleared” by the Big Ten.

“I’m told that the Big Ten and FOX do not want to have blood on their hands for being the reason the Pac-12 blew up. In a way, they’re sitting back and waiting to see what happens with Colorado or Arizona. If they leave for the Big 12, that opens the flood gates,” McMurphy added.

Reaction Score

The Oregon Ducks and Washington Huskies have reportedly been “vetted” and “cleared” by the Big Ten.

“I’m told that the Big Ten and FOX do not want to have blood on their hands for being the reason the Pac-12 blew up. In a way, they’re sitting back and waiting to see what happens with Colorado or Arizona. If they leave for the Big 12, that opens the flood gates,” McMurphy added.
well ESPN sure didn't care about killing the Big East so it's surprising Fox would care about the optics of killing the PAC-12

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

That article is from May. Everything we’ve heard out of the Big Ten is that they want to acclimate UCLA and USC first. It may be a couple of years before they’re invited. If pac implodes that may escalate the timeline. We’ll see.

Reaction Score
That article is from May. Everything we’ve heard out of the Big Ten is that they want to acclimate UCLA and USC first. It may be a couple of years before they’re invited. If pac implodes that may escalate the timeline. We’ll see.
Big Ten can wait until the dust settles now- I don't see any changes for this season or next

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
But all the high fives and stuff!?!
If you think your "linear" games are going to be on the "CW" and you suddenly find out that you're back on a real network, albeit at a discounted price, you breathe a sigh of relief and high five everybody in the immediate vicinity.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Let's hope this crazy theory of Colorado jumping to the Big 12, followed by UConn over Arizona, Arizona State, Stanford, Cal, Utah, Oregon and Washington turns out to be true.

Reaction Score
Best of luck to UConn. We know Yormack values UConn. If UConn gets the invite - and it might happen - hopefully there’s no fooling around thinking about “options”.
That's the biggest concern. If the rest of the PAC-12 teams panic, who knows what will happen next? We at UCONN have seen and experienced this with the old Big East before, so we are well aware of the process.

It would be for once we can get a stable home, and not have to think about this stuff over and over every year.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The only move left for the Pac 12 is to go to the ACC and try to merge with them. This should have been the first move for both the ACC and the Pac 12.

Any other move by the Pac 12, and the rats will abandon ship and take every last spot on the lifeboat.

Reaction Score
The only move left for the Pac 12 is to go to the ACC and try to merge with them. This should have been the first move for both the ACC and the Pac 12.

Any other move by the Pac 12, and the rats will abandon ship and take every last spot on the lifeboat.
Yes, that's probably the best plan left. If there is any real possibility of this, I doubt Colorado would leave right now. In some weird way, this might help stabilize the ACC assuming ESPN is willing to pay the same payout per team for all the PAC schools. In the end, I doubt ESPN will pay the extra money, so it will be a bunch of rats scurrying for new homes.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yes, that's probably the best plan left. If there is any real possibility of this, I doubt Colorado would leave right now. In some weird way, this might help stabilize the ACC assuming ESPN is willing to pay the same payout per team for all the PAC schools. In the end, I doubt ESPN will pay the extra money, so it will be a bunch of rats scurrying for new homes.

And UConn is in the Big East for a while if that happens.

The ACC is just too myopic to do something that bold. A merger with the Pac 12 would have gotten them out of that terrible ESPN contract, but they couldn't get their act together to do it.

My biggest concern about the Pac 12 imploding is what it will do to the TV rights market just as the Big East is going to start negotiating a new deal.

Reaction Score
And UConn is in the Big East for a while if that happens.

The ACC is just too myopic to do something that bold. A merger with the Pac 12 would have gotten them out of that terrible ESPN contract, but they couldn't get their act together to do it.

My biggest concern about the Pac 12 imploding is what it will do to the TV rights market just as the Big East is going to start negotiating a new deal.
If the ACC is smart, which they are not, would use this opportunity to blow up the ACC the way it is to get out of the ESPN GOR. The better schools will leave to merge with the better PAC-12 teams to form a new national academic conference. This would be a good opportunity for the ACC to get rid of schools like Wake, BCU, etc.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Looking at how this played out, it looks a lot like the ACC raids of the Big East. ESPN's fingerprints are all over this, in one final stupid, self-destructive, conference assassination by the worldwide leader. When the history is written on this era, ESPN will have been the worst thing to happen to college athletics in the first quarter of the 21st century.

5 years from now, when the MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL and all the soccer leagues plus much of college sports are streaming directly, ESPN will be able to look back to this kind of behavior when they wonder why they can only charge $2/month to 20,000 users because that is the market for people who will subscribe to stream lumberjack competitions.

Reaction Score
Looking at how this played out, it looks a lot like the ACC raids of the Big East. ESPN's fingerprints are all over this, in one final stupid, self-destructive, conference assassination by the worldwide leader. When the history is written on this era, ESPN will have been the worst thing to happen to college athletics in the first quarter of the 21st century.

5 years from now, when the MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL and all the soccer leagues plus much of college sports are streaming directly, ESPN will be able to look back to this kind of behavior when they wonder why they can only charge $2/month to 20,000 users because that is the market for people who will subscribe to stream lumberjack competitions.
As someone who remembers clearly what ESPN did to the Big East, this feels a lot like the Big East raid as well. The Pitt and Syracuse in the middle of the night ESPN operation really killed the Big East right when Big East was negotiating for a media deal. I am guessing PAC-12 is getting media numbers they didn't like, and they were hesitating so ESPN decided to blow this up. In the end, there will be some schools getting totally screwed in the PAC-12 just like UCONN did since the Big East blew up.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
As someone who remembers clearly what ESPN did to the Big East, this feels a lot like the Big East raid as well. The Pitt and Syracuse in the middle of the night ESPN operation really killed the Big East right when Big East was negotiating for a media deal. I am guessing PAC-12 is getting media numbers they didn't like, and they were hesitating so ESPN decided to blow this up. In the end, there will be some schools getting totally screwed in the PAC-12 just like UCONN did since the Big East blew up.

And like the Big East demolition, ESPN will actually help their rivals more than they help themselves. If the Big 10 adds Washington, Oregon, Cal and Stanford, then Fox/Big 10 will get the west coast for cheap without actually sticking the knife in themselves. ESPN will have gotten Colorado and an Arizona school out of lowballing the PAC 12. Nice work.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The ACC is holding a MasterClass in poor conference management. The Pac 12 is dissolving, and as ridiculous as this may have seemed 2 years, or even 2 months, ago, the Big 12 is a survivor. Where are these leagues going to turn next? The ACC. The ACC needs to do 2 things: 1) Expand. There is strength in numbers, as the Pac 12 is learning this morning. and 2) Lock in a core, critical market that they OWN. They will never own Florida or the southeast with the SEC in every southern state the ACC is in but North Carolina and Virginia. The ACC does not own the mid-atlantic with the Big 10 in Maryland, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The ACC can own the northeast, but it needs to make a move on the defending National Champion.

This isn't homerism. This is watching events unfold and reacting. There is a 100% certainty that if the ACC does nothing it will fail as a conference and damage many of its members. It has to act, and UConn is a start.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
The ACC is holding a MasterClass in poor conference management. The Pac 12 is dissolving, and as ridiculous as this may have seemed 2 years, or even 2 months, ago, the Big 12 is a survivor. Where are these leagues going to turn next? The ACC. The ACC needs to do 2 things: 1) Expand. There is strength in numbers, as the Pac 12 is learning this morning. and 2) Lock in a core, critical market that they OWN. They will never own Florida or the southeast with the SEC in every southern state the ACC is in but North Carolina and Virginia. The ACC does not own the mid-atlantic with the Big 10 in Maryland, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The ACC can own the northeast, but it needs to make a move on the defending National Champion.

This isn't homerism. This is watching events unfold and reacting. There is a 100% certainty that if the ACC does nothing it will fail as a conference and damage many of its members. It has to act, and UConn is a start.
I agree with the ACC expanding, but who will pay for it? Will ESPN because they are the only company that can pay more. If they don’t, then the schools will be paid less further pushing FSU, Clemson and UNC to break the GOR.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RollSkis

Top Bottom