P5 plus BE Coaching Hot Seat | Page 2 | The Boneyard

P5 plus BE Coaching Hot Seat

Reaction Score
Thoughts on some potential good hires for Pitt?

Probably one of the tougher gigs in the ACC, so it’ll be interesting to see who Heather Lyke can reel in.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

Probably one of the tougher gigs in the ACC, so it’ll be interesting to see who Heather Lyke can reel in.
If they can pull off the same magic they got with their women's volleyball coach, they'll be good.

Reaction Score
As we fast approach the halfway point of the conference season, let's look at some of the programs who deserve scrutiny. While these P5 coaches tend to pad their OOC with easy wins to give the illusion that their team is really successful, their lack of success for consecutive years in conference, deserves to have light shed upon their resume.

ACC really only shows 1 team that annually seems to appear-Pitt who is 7-10 and 0-6 and during Lance White's 5 yr run is 8-71 in ACC play. I think his contract expires this April, he does not deserve an extension.

Big East has two teams definitely under scrutiny and a 3rd team on watch.
  • Georgetown-Despite the Hoyas effort on Sunday against us, James Howard has not been good. He enters year 6 with 27-70 Conference record but 18 of those wins were in his 1st two years, he's 9-52 in the last 4.
  • Xavier-Melanie Moore is now in her 4th year as Xavier Head Coach and is sporting an 0-10 this year and 8-50 record in conference play. She probably has 1 year left on her contract which should NOT be renewed. The team has not even made any incremental strides.
  • Providence College-this team should be "on watch" as Jim Crowley really has not achieved much in his now 7th year as Friars HC. He is 30-84 overall in conference play and 83-115. He's proven he can't elevate the Friars and his 2-6 record this year is not great but he has mildly signature win over Creighton in 202
Big Ten really has no teams on the "hotseat" but definitely 3 teams "on watch". What focuses the light even moore on these teams is the success that Shauna Green is having her first year, taking over a roster that was pathetic.
Teams on watch are:
  • Minnesota-to say Lindsay Whelan has been underwhelming is definitely understating it. She's 29-50 in year 5 in Big Ten play but 9 came her first season when she took over a decent team-it was not a rebuild. However at 1-6 this year, the next coach will have a full rebuild to do. Her contract expires in 2 more years, April 2025-yikes....
  • Michigan State-Suzy Merchant has been HC for 16 years and her career is really bifurcated into her first 7 and her last 9. Her first 7, she was phenomenal, going 82-36 and 163-72 finishing 1st or 2nd-5 times with a 3rd and 5th. Now in the last 9 years, she's gone 72-71, 158-108 with a 3rd place finish way back in 2016. She has a 5th place in 2017 but one 7th, three 8th and three 9th place finishes. With the Big Ten now being way more competitive, MSU has to think about "retiring" their coach who made the program before she burns it down. Similar to Purdue..
  • Penn State-Carolyn Kieger was hired with much fanfare from Marquette but in her 4th year, the team has not really improved plus Kieger is known to have less than cordial coaching manner towards her team. She has one more year left but I suspect her poor results (14-48, 38-63) and the player complaints/transfers will doom her from getting an extension.
PAC-12 has one program under scrutiny
  • California-While this is only year 4 under Charmin Smith, it's not looking great, she's 7-42 and 34-55 and she's finished last twice, 11th once and currently is 11th this year. The future does not look bright. Her contract expires April 2024 so do not expect an extension.
SEC has one program that should be under watch
  • Kentucky-Kyra Elzy, who was promoted from interim in 2020-21 season, after starting 8-1 with Matthew Mitchell's veteran squad (22-8 in 2020) with a star player in Rhyne Howard has underachieved but due to the Wildcats SEC tourney upset over SC to win the Auto-bid, the Kentucky AD rewarded Elzy with an extension in April until 2027 at $750 per year, escalating by $25k per year. Now fast forward to over the summer and this fall, where many players transferred out and we are witnessing the Dre'una Edwards controversy adding to the 1-6 conference record and not much help on the horizon, you have to wonder if she will survive the next 4 years. If you can't win 20 games with Howard, Massengill, Edwards, Owens, Hunt and others, not sure how you warrant any type of extension.
Big 12 has one program on the Hot seat
  • TCU-Raegan Pebley has been at the helm for 9 years and while her first 6 showed great improvement culminating with a 2nd place conference with a Senior laden squad (13-5; 22-7) finish in 2020 before Covid cancelled the NCAAT, it has been quite the opposite in the 3 years since. Her 6-35 Conference record and 22-47 overall record plus the ugly fight in Dec against GW with her 0-6 record and the fact her contract expires at the end of this year spells doom to me.
While there are few other programs across the P5 spectrum that on the surface should warrant scrutiny, they either have newer coaches who are still figuring it out (Wisc, Wash, Vandy, Butler as examples) or have a long- term coach who has had a down year or two (Northwestern, Oregon State).

What say you my fine and knowledgeable brethren?
Raegan Pebley announced today that she is stepping down as TCU Wbb coach at end of season.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

If they can pull off the same magic they got with their women's volleyball coach, they'll be good.

It's not impossible to win at Pitt, but you've got to get the right person and, when warranted show some patience.
@nwhoopfan is right about Women's Volleyball Coach Dan Fisher. He's led the Panthers (!) into the Final Four. However, he's in his 10th year and it took him awhile to hit his stride.

Veteran Women's Soccer Coach Randy Waldrum has the Panthers scratching at the top tier of ACC Women's Soccer pecking order, which is even more competitive than the hoops scene. Then again, he won a national title at ND, so he's been there.

And Jeff Capel, also in his fifth year, has got the Pitt Men's Hoops playing for the top spot in the ACC.

So, it can be done. However, has Lance White merited another term? Were his five years something to build on? They do play very, very hard, but the talent level is not up to speed and they eventually wear down in the second halves.
Or is it more of the same old, same old? My gut: as good a guy as he seems to be, I'm guessing Pitt will move on.
They went with a long-time assistant coach in White. Will they look for someone with HC experience this time around, as UVA and Syracuse did? Will have to ponder this one...

Dillon77

Reaction Score

OK, just finished shoveling the first snow of the year in northern NJ. Here are some ideas for that Pittsburgh HC slot. I'd recommend going with a coach with head-coaching experience who understands the whole program-concept. Plus, while Pittsburgh is in Pennsylvania, that's southwestern Pa., with a lot of outreach to the Midwestern states. With that in mind:
  • Robin Fralick, 4th year at Bowling Green (Mid-American Conference) who are currently 24-4. You might also remember her for winning two D-2 championships at Ashland.
  • Kristin Gillespie, 5th year at Illinois State in the Missouri Valley. She's had winning records every year for the Cardinals and they're currently 21-7. Has a strong ACC connection in that she played point guard for Kay Yow at NC State.
  • Todd Starkey, in his 7th year at Kent State (Mid-American) and currently has a 19-8 record. Already the 3rd-winningest coach in school history with 101 victories, Starkey has led the Golden Flashes to three Postseason WNIT appearances and two Mid-American Conference East Division titles. Was at Lenoir-Rhyne prior to Kent State.
  • Brady Sallee, 11th year at Ball State (Mid-American), which is currently 23-6. Sallee, is the only head coach in program history to take the Cardinals to seven WNITs. He is also the program's winningest coach with 183 victories. Sallee is known for playing whomever he thinks will work best at the moment and I saw instances of that against Notre Dame. Should be ready for the challenge. And...
  • Beth Cunningham, 1st year at Missouri State (19-8) in Missouri Valley. Probably too early, but you never know. Has had a good year, after coming to program relatively late. Had extensive previous head coaching experience at VCU, then was associate head coach under Muffet McGraw for 8 years, before spending two years with Kara Lawson at Duke. Knows the ACC very well.

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
OK, just finished shoveling the first snow of the year in northern NJ. Here are some ideas for that Pittsburgh HC slot. I'd recommend going with a coach with head-coaching experience who understands the whole program-concept. Plus, while Pittsburgh is in Pennsylvania, that's southwestern Pa., with a lot of outreach to the Midwestern states. With that in mind:
  • Robin Fralick, 4th year at Bowling Green (Mid-American Conference) who are currently 24-4. You might also remember her for winning two D-2 championships at Ashland.
  • Kristin Gillespie, 5th year at Illinois State in the Missouri Valley. She's had winning records every year for the Cardinals and they're currently 21-7. Has a strong ACC connection in that she played point guard for Kay Yow at NC State.
  • Todd Starkey, in his 7th year at Kent State (Mid-American) and currently has a 19-8 record. Already the 3rd-winningest coach in school history with 101 victories, Starkey has led the Golden Flashes to three Postseason WNIT appearances and two Mid-American Conference East Division titles. Was at Lenoir-Rhyne prior to Kent State.
  • Brady Sallee, 11th year at Ball State (Mid-American), which is currently 23-6. Sallee, is the only head coach in program history to take the Cardinals to seven WNITs. He is also the program's winningest coach with 183 victories. Sallee is known for playing whomever he thinks will work best at the moment and I saw instances of that against Notre Dame. Should be ready for the challenge. And...
  • Beth Cunningham, 1st year at Missouri State (19-8) in Missouri Valley. Probably too early, but you never know. Has had a good year, after coming to program relatively late. Had extensive previous head coaching experience at VCU, then was associate head coach under Muffet McGraw for 8 years, before spending two years with Kara Lawson at Duke. Knows the ACC very well.
I'm going to admit I never particularly heard of any of them, except Beth Cunningham. She did quite well at times when she was at VCU, never quite understood her return to work with Muffet. But one year at Missouri State? Yes, a bit early to be moving on, especially if she is comfortable there.

Pitt was in the old Big East, and we followed them for years. Folks say you can win there. I would think so, but . . .

Kirk Bruce - (158-214), went 3-15 each of his last 3 years in the BE and 20-67 over all. 13 years.

Tracie Waites - (53-85) - don't know a lot about her, she previously was an assistant at Arizona (who knew?) and been out of coaching for 20 years now. While she was at Pitt, she comped us to a tourney she was playing in at Arizona, as Rutgers was in ASU's tourney with a spare day. Our first visit to Tucson, comp arranged through Rutgers WBB.

Agnus Berenato (161-148) - perhaps showed what is possible - four 20+ win seasons, 3 NCAA appearances including 2 Sweet Sixteens - but ended her 10 year run going 0-16 in conference 2 years in a row. Yikes.

Suzie McConnell-Serio (67-87) - Considered a great hire. Not so much.

Lance White has been unsuccessful as well.

That's a long string of failure. I believe if I counted correctly that they have been under .500 19 of last 25 seasons. Oy.

Reaction Score
Other than Pebley resigning at TCU, I think Pitt is the only real hot seat in the P5 this season.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I posted in the Openings thread, but Lindsay Whalen is stepping down from Minnesota, effective immediately.

Meghan McKeown says its "very shocking news" but I don't think that's true if you look at the record and lack of improvement.

Reaction Score
I posted in the Openings thread, but Lindsay Whalen is stepping down from Minnesota, effective immediately.

Meghan McKeown says its "very shocking news" but I don't think that's true if you look at the record and lack of improvement.
I think they have to "sell" it to those watching. Those paying attention have been wondering when it would happen.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I think they have to "sell" it to those watching. Those paying attention have been wondering when it would happen.
That's fair. I just sometimes listen to McKeown with very obvious side-eyes. But you're right...they aren't just going to be like "It's about time for that program to get another chance at success!"

Reaction Score
That's fair. I just sometimes listen to McKeown with very obvious side-eyes. But you're right...they aren't just going to be like "It's about time for that program to get another chance at success!"
That got me busting out laughing.:D

Reaction Score
Minnesota has the pieces to be a good team. Kudos to Whalen to stepping aside as it was clearly not working.
I don't follow Minnesota at all, I just remember Whalen as being a good player. Could she maybe be more effective in an assistant coach's role or something similar? Not everyone can be a HC.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I could see her being a better coach at the pro level too; coaching in college comes with a ton of extra responsibilities

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score

She's going to stay on at Minny as a special assistant to the AD. Seems like a classy way out for all involved, that keeps the hometown hero involved in their program but in a capacity perhaps better suited for her skills. Too bad it didn't work out.

Reaction Score
She's going to stay on at Minny as a special assistant to the AD. Seems like a classy way out for all involved, that keeps the hometown hero involved in their program but in a capacity perhaps better suited for her skills. Too bad it didn't work out.
I see it also as a way to avoid paying the contract buy out in full. Spread it out over time to absorb the financial hit.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
A few comments for the posters who seem to be unaware how the contracts work.

1. I am on record as saying this was a bad hire from the start. Maybe at mid-major or lower D1 program she could have earned her experience but she was in over her head as both a recruiter and coach. P6 Coaches need either P6 Assistant duties or be a HC at a lower level level.
2. Her contract is guaranteed so the school is paying her either way. The cost is “not defrayed” or spread out. She is being paid the full contract as a HC but with Assistanf to the AD duties while Minn has to pay another HC a full salary.
3. This was absolutely negotiated by the AD for her to step down to avoid her being “let go”. Whether it was “classy” by Whalen is debatable but kudos for her to at least say she’s staying on to help the school. Color me skeptical on her having any real duties to perform.

Reaction Score
Huge shout out to Coach Whalen on the move to step down. Hometown legend tried to get the Gopher to some level of respectability. Just did not work out. Still a legend here in Minnesota, among the basketball fans of the great state of Minnesota.

Reaction Score
A few comments for the posters who seem to be unaware how the contracts work.

1. I am on record as saying this was a bad hire from the start. Maybe at mid-major or lower D1 program she could have earned her experience but she was in over her head as both a recruiter and coach. P6 Coaches need either P6 Assistant duties or be a HC at a lower level level.
2. Her contract is guaranteed so the school is paying her either way. The cost is “not defrayed” or spread out. She is being paid the full contract as a HC but with Assistanf to the AD duties while Minn has to pay another HC a full salary.
3. This was absolutely negotiated by the AD for her to step down to avoid her being “let go”. Whether it was “classy” by Whalen is debatable but kudos for her to at least say she’s staying on to help the school. Color me skeptical on her having any real duties to perform.
Isn't better she's on campus in some capacity versus leaving outright? That's how I saw it. Phrased wrong maybe, but that's how the situation comes across to me.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Coach Duffy would be a great hire for Minnesota.
I thought about that for a second, but ...
  • My McGraw's Bench colleague, Raoul (not that one), who follows Midwest Hoops a bunch, thinks Whelan was "only" making some $550,000 this year, as opposed to Duffy's $750-$800,00 base at Marquette. For B1G comparison, he also thinks Coquese Washington is making around $750K base at Rutgers. So, Minnesota, if they want to get up to speed with B1G rivals and/or Big East, for that matter, need to up the ante.
  • His suggestion? Dawn Plitzuweit, who was earning $250K at South Dakota, before heading to West Virginia at some $500K. And she's done a pretty good job in a "new" area of the country. After those years in the Plains, she obviously has contacts in the Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc.
  • The shelves aren't bare at Marquette either: Duffy had two of her recruits earn All-freshmen honors and Liz Karlen has improved every year at the power forward slot. Like a few posters here, I think Duffy should work on developing that program and keep her eyes out very selectively (Hint: I'm thinking Northwestern in a few years). However, her agent....;)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Ok, domino #2 in the Big East just fell, Jim Crowley is out at Providence.

7 years with little success 85-125/32-94 with a best finish of 7th and now the state university and an arch rival (URI) has a star coach in Tami Reese who has been nothing short of phenomenal in her 4 years. PC says a "national search" will start immediately.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom