P5 plus BE Coaching Hot Seat | The Boneyard

P5 plus BE Coaching Hot Seat

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
As we fast approach the halfway point of the conference season, let's look at some of the programs who deserve scrutiny. While these P5 coaches tend to pad their OOC with easy wins to give the illusion that their team is really successful, their lack of success for consecutive years in conference, deserves to have light shed upon their resume.

ACC really only shows 1 team that annually seems to appear-Pitt who is 7-10 and 0-6 and during Lance White's 5 yr run is 8-71 in ACC play. I think his contract expires this April, he does not deserve an extension.

Big East has two teams definitely under scrutiny and a 3rd team on watch.
  • Georgetown-Despite the Hoyas effort on Sunday against us, James Howard has not been good. He enters year 6 with 27-70 Conference record but 18 of those wins were in his 1st two years, he's 9-52 in the last 4.
  • Xavier-Melanie Moore is now in her 4th year as Xavier Head Coach and is sporting an 0-10 this year and 8-50 record in conference play. She probably has 1 year left on her contract which should NOT be renewed. The team has not even made any incremental strides.
  • Providence College-this team should be "on watch" as Jim Crowley really has not achieved much in his now 7th year as Friars HC. He is 30-84 overall in conference play and 83-115. He's proven he can't elevate the Friars and his 2-6 record this year is not great but he has mildly signature win over Creighton in 202
Big Ten really has no teams on the "hotseat" but definitely 3 teams "on watch". What focuses the light even moore on these teams is the success that Shauna Green is having her first year, taking over a roster that was pathetic.
Teams on watch are:
  • Minnesota-to say Lindsay Whelan has been underwhelming is definitely understating it. She's 29-50 in year 5 in Big Ten play but 9 came her first season when she took over a decent team-it was not a rebuild. However at 1-6 this year, the next coach will have a full rebuild to do. Her contract expires in 2 more years, April 2025-yikes....
  • Michigan State-Suzy Merchant has been HC for 16 years and her career is really bifurcated into her first 7 and her last 9. Her first 7, she was phenomenal, going 82-36 and 163-72 finishing 1st or 2nd-5 times with a 3rd and 5th. Now in the last 9 years, she's gone 72-71, 158-108 with a 3rd place finish way back in 2016. She has a 5th place in 2017 but one 7th, three 8th and three 9th place finishes. With the Big Ten now being way more competitive, MSU has to think about "retiring" their coach who made the program before she burns it down. Similar to Purdue..
  • Penn State-Carolyn Kieger was hired with much fanfare from Marquette but in her 4th year, the team has not really improved plus Kieger is known to have less than cordial coaching manner towards her team. She has one more year left but I suspect her poor results (14-48, 38-63) and the player complaints/transfers will doom her from getting an extension.
PAC-12 has one program under scrutiny
  • California-While this is only year 4 under Charmin Smith, it's not looking great, she's 7-42 and 34-55 and she's finished last twice, 11th once and currently is 11th this year. The future does not look bright. Her contract expires April 2024 so do not expect an extension.
SEC has one program that should be under watch
  • Kentucky-Kyra Elzy, who was promoted from interim in 2020-21 season, after starting 8-1 with Matthew Mitchell's veteran squad (22-8 in 2020) with a star player in Rhyne Howard has underachieved but due to the Wildcats SEC tourney upset over SC to win the Auto-bid, the Kentucky AD rewarded Elzy with an extension in April until 2027 at $750 per year, escalating by $25k per year. Now fast forward to over the summer and this fall, where many players transferred out and we are witnessing the Dre'una Edwards controversy adding to the 1-6 conference record and not much help on the horizon, you have to wonder if she will survive the next 4 years. If you can't win 20 games with Howard, Massengill, Edwards, Owens, Hunt and others, not sure how you warrant any type of extension.
Big 12 has one program on the Hot seat
  • TCU-Raegan Pebley has been at the helm for 9 years and while her first 6 showed great improvement culminating with a 2nd place conference with a Senior laden squad (13-5; 22-7) finish in 2020 before Covid cancelled the NCAAT, it has been quite the opposite in the 3 years since. Her 6-35 Conference record and 22-47 overall record plus the ugly fight in Dec against GW with her 0-6 record and the fact her contract expires at the end of this year spells doom to me.
While there are few other programs across the P5 spectrum that on the surface should warrant scrutiny, they either have newer coaches who are still figuring it out (Wisc, Wash, Vandy, Butler as examples) or have a long- term coach who has had a down year or two (Northwestern, Oregon State).

What say you my fine and knowledgeable brethren?

Reaction Score
As we fast approach the halfway point of the conference season, let's look at some of the programs who deserve scrutiny. While these P5 coaches tend to pad their OOC with easy wins to give the illusion that their team is really successful, their lack of success for consecutive years in conference, deserves to have light shed upon their resume.

ACC really only shows 1 team that annually seems to appear-Pitt who is 7-10 and 0-6 and during Lance White's 5 yr run is 8-71 in ACC play. I think his contract expires this April, he does not deserve an extension.

• Georgetown-Despite the Hoyas effort on Sunday against us, James Howard has not been good. He enters year 6 with 27-70 Conference record but 18 of those wins were in his 1st two years, he's 9-52 in the last 4.
  • Xavier-Melanie Moore is now in her 4th year as Xavier Head Coach and is sporting an 0-10 this year and 8-50 record in conference play. She probably has 1 year left on her contract which should NOT be renewed. The team has not even made any incremental strides.
  • Providence College-this team should be "on watch" as Jim Crowley really has not achieved much in his now 7th year as Friars HC. He is 30-84 overall in conference play and 83-115. He's proven he can't elevate the Friars and his 2-6 record this year is not great but he has mildly signature win over Creighton in 202
Big Ten really has no teams on the "hotseat" but definitely 3 teams "on watch". What focuses the light even moore on these teams is the success that Shauna Green is having her first year, taking over a roster that was pathetic.
Teams on watch are:
  • Minnesota-to say Lindsay Whelan has been underwhelming is definitely understating it. She's 29-50 in year 5 in Big Ten play but 9 came her first season when she took over a decent team-it was not a rebuild. However at 1-6 this year, the next coach will have a full rebuild to do. Her contract expires in 2 more years, April 2025-yikes....
  • Michigan State-Suzy Merchant has been HC for 16 years and her career is really bifurcated into her first 7 and her last 9. Her first 7, she was phenomenal, going 82-36 and 163-72 finishing 1st or 2nd-5 times with a 3rd and 5th. Now in the last 9 years, she's gone 72-71, 158-108 with a 3rd place finish way back in 2016. She has a 5th place in 2017 but one 7th, three 8th and three 9th place finishes. With the Big Ten now being way more competitive, MSU has to think about "retiring" their coach who made the program before she burns it down. Similar to Purdue..
  • Penn State-Carolyn Kieger was hired with much fanfare from Marquette but in her 4th year, the team has not really improved plus Kieger is known to have less than cordial coaching manner towards her team. She has one more year left but I suspect her poor results (14-48, 38-63) and the player complaints/transfers will doom her from getting an extension.
PAC-12 has one program under scrutiny
  • California-While this is only year 4 under Charmin Smith, it's not looking great, she's 7-42 and 34-55 and she's finished last twice, 11th once and currently is 11th this year. The future does not look bright. Her contract expires April 2024 so do not expect an extension.
SEC has one program that should be under watch
  • Kentucky-Kyra Elzy, who was promoted from interim in 2020-21 season, after starting 8-1 with Matthew Mitchell's veteran squad (22-8 in 2020) with a star player in Rhyne Howard has underachieved but due to the Wildcats SEC tourney upset over SC to win the Auto-bid, the Kentucky AD rewarded Elzy with an extension in April until 2027 at $750 per year, escalating by $25k per year. Now fast forward to over the summer and this fall, where many players transferred out and we are witnessing the Dre'una Edwards controversy adding to the 1-6 conference record and not much help on the horizon, you have to wonder if she will survive the next 4 years. If you can't win 20 games with Howard, Massengill, Edwards, Owens, Hunt and others, not sure how you warrant any type of extension.
Big 12 has one program on the Hot seat
  • TCU-Raegan Pebley has been at the helm for 9 years and while her first 6 showed great improvement culminating with a 2nd place conference with a Senior laden squad (13-5; 22-7) finish in 2020 before Covid cancelled the NCAAT, it has been quite the opposite in the 3 years since. Her 6-35 Conference record and 22-47 overall record plus the ugly fight in Dec against GW with her 0-6 record and the fact her contract expires at the end of this year spells doom to me.
While there are few other programs across the P5 spectrum that on the surface should warrant scrutiny, they either have newer coaches who are still figuring it out (Wisc, Wash, Vandy, Butler as examples) or have a long- term coach who has had a down year or two (Northwestern, Oregon State).

What say you my fine and knowledgeable brethren?

Didn't Merchant sign an extension recently? Have to look for it but thought I saw an article last fall.

edit. Yup. She's been extended to 2027. How would this impact the retirement scenario you noted?

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Very thorough and researched, to boot! Some comments and additions.

ACC

• Agree with you on Lance White and Pitt. He's had enough time to turn it around. Pitt volleyball and women's soccer are very much on the rise. White should at least have made some traction.
  • If I'm a Georgia Tech fan or sports administrator, I'd be "watching" Nell Fortner. In spite of the fact that the previous coach was let go for alleged behavior issues, she did recruit talent, most of which has moved on, due to graduation or transfer. The Ramblin' Wreck is living up to their name: 0-7. Fortner has allegedly helped the culture of the team, but she's got to start getting some "W's." and good high school results: both of their double-digit scorers are transers.

B1G

-
Trifecta on Minnesota, MSU and Penn State. I liked Merchant but she seems to have plateaued. How could Stephen Austin's best player who transferred go from "an under the radar star" to a person that does not merit 5 minutes per game? Kieger is most certainly not working in central Pa. Didn't see that coming....

Will ponder other conferences...need to cook dinner now!

Reaction Score
Lindsay Whalen has the impressive freshman class to help save her job. Her team is young and is taking some bad losses this season but I am hopeful the team is learning and will be improved next season. They have 6'5 Minnesota native Sophie Hart (NC State transfer) coming in next year along with a decent recruiting class. If all the players commit and buy in, they could do something special. No sugar coating here though, her record thus far is abysmal. If this freshman class doesn't produce for her, there will be another coaching search.

Forgot to mention: One of the freshman players is out for injury for the season, Nia Holloway. I think she would have played a big role this season. She definitely would help on the offensive end where the Gophers have struggled.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Teams on watch are:

One small correction. Merchant didn't make Michigan State. I won't name the coach who took MSU to great heights before Merchant.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
So many recent hires in the ACC. Most of them have either or are turning things around in their first few years... might be awhile before a ACC seat is warm. Except for Lance White. The highlight of his tenure was giving Muffet McGraw one last L on the way out of the door.

I hear that coach went on to do great things at Duke ;)

Yeah... like leading me to drink and overeat after losses :oops:

Reaction Score
Very thorough and researched, to boot! Some comments and additions.

ACC

• Agree with you on Lance White and Pitt. He's had enough time to turn it around. Pitt volleyball and women's soccer are very much on the rise. White should at least have made some traction.
  • If I'm a Georgia Tech fan or sports administrator, I'd be "watching" Nell Fortner. In spite of the fact that the previous coach was let go for alleged behavior issues, she did recruit talent, most of which has moved on, due to graduation or transfer. The Ramblin' Wreck is living up to their name: 0-7. Fortner has allegedly helped the culture of the team, but she's got to start getting some "W's." and good high school results: both of their double-digit scorers are transers.

B1G

-
Trifecta on Minnesota, MSU and Penn State. I liked Merchant but she seems to have plateaued. How could Stephen Austin's best player who transferred go from "an under the radar star" to a person that does not merit 5 minutes per game? Kieger is most certainly not working in central Pa. Didn't see that coming....

Will ponder other conferences...need to cook dinner now!
I love Nell Fortner but Georgia Tech should not be as bad as they are given their roster. Swartz and Jackson are talented shooting guards.

Among all P-5 schools, only TAMU has a worse FG%.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yeah. That coach first got on my radar when Stanford was a 7 seed back in 1999 and she beat them in the first round as the 10 seed. I didn’t even know they played basketball in Maine. :cool:

You got me thinking. That coach is not that old... she is 57... she's a proven winner.. only 2 losing seasons in 28 years of coaching. She built programs at 2 different institutions, has coached in two major conferences. I wonder if she is done with coaching. There has to be some school out there for her. Maybe Northwestern after their coach retires. ? There is another school that she might be a good fit (on paper). but imma keep my mouth shut on that one.

Reaction Score
Well, living in Big Ten Country and having worked a few basketball camps over the years in East Lansing, Michigan (MSU), Suzy Merchant is far from the hot seat. She is an icon in the MSU community. She is safe. Coach Merchant will step down on her own when she is ready.

With Coach Whalen here in Minnesota, things will be interesting. I think, I hope that I am wrong, this could be her last season and she reaches some type of agreement with the school to step down at the end. Her body language says a lot when you watch the game. Watching that Rutgers game at the Barn a few days ago, the vibe is just not right. She has the best recruiting class in Minnesota WBB history, and she looks like she is not having fun on the sidelines coaching. This could be her last run.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Maybe Northwestern after their coach retires. ?

I'm watching (not scrutinizing) Joe McKeown at Northwestern. This post-Valerie Burton year has not been good for the Wildcats: they're 6-11 overall; 0-7 in the Big Ten; and, have a six-game losing streak, with Ohio State coming up next. In addition to a down year, McKeown has always looked older than his year (66), so a lot of folks -- myself ncluded, probably -- think he's intending to hang it up soon. That said, he's had solid runs at George Washington and (now) Northwestern, is playing at a refurbished Welsh-Ryan Hall and lives in a pretty cool suburb (Evanston).

But it bears watching how the year plays out (does Northwestern play better?), how they do in recruiting and/or transers (out).
If he decides to move on, I can see how coaches who are used to private and/or academic-challenging schools would find this an interesting gig.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, living in Big Ten Country and having worked a few basketball camps over the years in East Lansing, Michigan (MSU), Suzy Merchant is far from the hot seat. She is an icon in the MSU community. She is safe. Coach Merchant will step down on her own when she is ready.

With Coach Whalen here in Minnesota, things will be interesting. I think, I hope that I am wrong, this could be her last season and she reaches some type of agreement with the school to step down at the end. Her body language says a lot when you watch the game. Watching that Rutgers game at the Barn a few days ago, the vibe is just not right. She has the best recruiting class in Minnesota WBB history, and she looks like she is not having fun on the sidelines coaching. This could be her last run.

I would highly doubt this is her last season. She is going to get time with this freshmen class. Very young team and is taking their lumps for sure but you have to give her this class and see what they can do.

Reaction Score
For your SEC consideration:

Robin Pingeton. If they continue their slide in the SEC, she should be very much on watch. Since Cunningham left, they have been not very good at all. I don't expect them to finish above .500 in conference, and I think their cupboard is largely bare once Frank, Hansen, and Troup are gone (I think the former two have COVID years left to play, though). The transfers out (Williams, Blackwell) have also cast a bit of a pall over the CoMo program.

Reaction Score
Thoughts on the Big Ten:

Michigan State- I don't think Merchant is close to the hot seat as others have mentioned. I do see the potential for fall off that OP mentioned, though, especially with Michigan taking a step forward.

Penn State- I think Kieger has shown some improvement. Her first team was dead last, years 2 and 3 was slightly better, and they're fighting for a middle of the conference finish this year. OP is right that next year could be big. If they take a step back or don't improve from this year Kieger is probably done.

Minnesota- The Gophers are in a tough place. Firing a program legend is difficult for numerous reasons, and I wonder how desirable the job would be given how poorly Whalen has done. That said, if it were some coach other than Whalen, they would almost certainly be getting fired. Whalen inherited a fringe NCAA Tournament contender and has steadily declined almost every year. I know the current team is young, but they've arguably underperformed expectations again and I don't see more than 2-3 wins left on their schedule.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Thoughts on the Big Ten:

Minnesota- The Gophers are in a tough place. Firing a program legend is difficult for numerous reasons, and I wonder how desirable the job would be given how poorly Whalen has done. That said, if it were some coach other than Whalen, they would almost certainly be getting fired. Whalen inherited a fringe NCAA Tournament contender and has steadily declined almost every year. I know the current team is young, but they've arguably underperformed expectations again and I don't see more than 2-3 wins left on their schedule.
It might just be me, but I feel like IF they let go of Whalen after this season (which they won't) any new coach would be coming into a pretty good position talent wise, if they all stay. Mara Braun, Amaya Battle, Alanna Micheaux, Mallory Heyer, and Katie Borowicz are all young, local [aside from Micheaux from Michigan], and producing solid numbers. So they may not fly if Whalen leaves. The state of Minnesota also keeps producing some high level talent, so, the new coach would just need to get some roots in the state.

I'm just not sure who is out there in the college ranks with head coaching experience (even though you apparently don't need that for this job) and who knows the region. Maybe some top assistant coaches? Glenn Box or Rhet Wierzba from IU? Would Jan Jenson ever leave Iowa? I know she's Iowa through and through (grew up in Iowa, played at Drake for Bluder). Who knows. I don't know enough about the non-P5 programs in the area who could be the "next Shauna Green" so to say.

Reaction Score
It might just be me, but I feel like IF they let go of Whalen after this season (which they won't) any new coach would be coming into a pretty good position talent wise, if they all stay. Mara Braun, Amaya Battle, Alanna Micheaux, Mallory Heyer, and Katie Borowicz are all young, local [aside from Micheaux from Michigan], and producing solid numbers. So they may not fly if Whalen leaves. The state of Minnesota also keeps producing some high level talent, so, the new coach would just need to get some roots in the state.

I'm just not sure who is out there in the college ranks with head coaching experience (even though you apparently don't need that for this job) and who knows the region. Maybe some top assistant coaches? Glenn Box or Rhet Wierzba from IU? Would Jan Jenson ever leave Iowa? I know she's Iowa through and through (grew up in Iowa, played at Drake for Bluder). Who knows. I don't know enough about the non-P5 programs in the area who could be the "next Shauna Green" so to say.
Maybe my expectations were just too high, but I really thought that group would do better than 4-14 or 5-13 in conference. The bottom half of the Big Ten is pretty weak. I'm also not sure you can count on everyone staying together if Whalen left. Scalia is local but moved to a win-now team in Indiana and is probably pretty happy with that decision.

As an example, if Braun entered the portal Iowa could offer her a year with Clark followed by two years as the likely best guard on the roster. That's tough to pass up.

Minnesota has very good HS talent, but outside this year's freshman class, Whalen really hasn't gotten top players to stay home. If I were a potential coach, I'd be asking myself how I could get that talent to stay home when Whalen couldn't.

Reaction Score
Maybe my expectations were just too high, but I really thought that group would do better than 4-14 or 5-13 in conference. The bottom half of the Big Ten is pretty weak. I'm also not sure you can count on everyone staying together if Whalen left. Scalia is local but moved to a win-now team in Indiana and is probably pretty happy with that decision.

As an example, if Braun entered the portal Iowa could offer her a year with Clark followed by two years as the likely best guard on the roster. That's tough to pass up.

Minnesota has very good HS talent, but outside this year's freshman class, Whalen really hasn't gotten top players to stay home. If I were a potential coach, I'd be asking myself how I could get that talent to stay home when Whalen couldn't.

It’s not just you. My expectations were middle to slightly above middle of the conference with this young group. Next year if things don’t improve I don’t see how Whalen keeps her job but that’s just my opinion.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So as we head into the last 2 weeks of the regular season, here’s an update based on the “bottom dwelling and longer tenured coaches” whose job performance deserves scrutiny. Virtually no school fires WCBB coaches during an active contract but merely let the contract expire.
That said, here are the most glaring teams who need changes.
Big East- definitely Xavier and Melanie Moore 0-20 in year 4. As a private school, contract terms are not readily available but I believe she signed a 5 year deal so she has one more year. I don’t think she will be fired.
Big 12-TCU and Raegan Pebley need to part ways. 9 years and despite 2 more years remaining (expires April 2025), 0-18 in a weak conference does warrant a change. But as I said buy-out rarely occur but could be the exception.
Big 10-I still think Minnesota needs to move on sooner than later especially with a projected 2-16 conference record. I think she gets one more year.
ACC-Despite some close games lately by Pitt (projest 3-15) it’s time for the Lance White tenure to end.
PAC-12 Only has Cal Coach Charmin Smith in year 4 of her hire with a probable 1 year left that warrants scrutiny. Some do think Scott Rueck should also be under the microscope but given the young and talented team I think he gets a lot more time.
SEC-All the bad teams have new coaches. Under scrutiny though, as noted above should be Robin Pingeton with her Missouri program at 22-40 since Sophie Cunningham graduated including 5-11 projected this year.

Anyone needed to be added?

Reaction Score
It’s not just you. My expectations were middle to slightly above middle of the conference with this young group. Next year if things don’t improve I don’t see how Whalen keeps her job but that’s just my opinion.
Same here. I was expecting that middle ground for Minnesota with the talent that was coming in. I agree with you, if things don't improve next year, I think Whalen will be in trouble.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Well, we interrupt this thread for the Hot Seat for the Cool Kids Seat. Interestingly, one of the people on this list (Can you say O-S-U) was once nominated to be on this list. Now, Coach McGuff did a great job early on, but the Buckeyes are on a late-season slide. Illinois has still had a massive performance upgrade while taking some hits mid- and later season. Coach Lawson has brought in waves of lock-down D to the ACC and Coach Ivey has added rebounding to go with the Miles-Citron-driven run and gun show.

We know what Geno (and Chris Dailey!) have done with players and coaches being injured and sick. Villanova and Gonzaga have been consistent all year.

However, right now, I'm looking at Teri Moren of IU. She lost three long-players from her album collection and they're back stronger and more diverse than ever.

Back to the hot seat soon enough. ;)

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Right now, Lawson should be on the hot seat.... I aint too pleased

batman-sad.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics