Overused cliches | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Overused cliches

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Plenty of worthy candidates in this thread. Some others:

She's like another coach on the field/court.

He's got a motor that won't quit.

She does all the little things that don't show up on the stat sheet.

Anything that ends with "...in the National Football League."

One game at a time.

He's a ball hawk.

Reaction Score
I think it's Debbie Antonelli who uses the term "skill set" in just about
every other sentence. It's gotten to be like fingernails on the blackboard
for me.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think it's Debbie Antonelli who uses the term "skill set" in just about
every other sentence. It's gotten to be like fingernails on the blackboard
for me.
Here's a Skil set:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
No one likes cliches. If we've heard them once, we've heard them a million times. :D

Reaction Score
Not to beat a dead horse, but this topic has really opened a can of worms.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I have some pet peeves that are on the cusp of the theme of this thread. Focus on usage by announcers.

They persist in using "differential" instead of "difference," as when pointing out the difference between game clock and time clock.

They refer to a player's special skill as his/her "for-TAY." That's a musical term. "Forte" (special talent or skill) is pronounced "fort."

The term "program" has supplanted the word "team." Now I await identification of the "program captain" or the "special programs coach." Or praise for someone as a "good program player."

Or, back to cliches, "There is no "I" in "program."

Finally, sometimes that big hit or important basket is referred to as the "coo day-GRAW." Try "coo de GREZ," please.

I'm not sure if my comments comprise a "good no-call call" or not.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Well, new and fresh cliches are as scarce as hen's teeth. I am surprised that no one has picked up on D's great comment after she "drained a trifecta" in the exhibition game a while back against the Huskies (from about 35 feet, if memory serves); "That last one didn't even touch the net!" My own personal fingernails on the blackboard any question asked of an athlete or coach by an announcer that starts (as about half of them do) is "How important was it to you that......."

Reaction Score
The one that floored me came from last weeks Tenn-Baylor game: "I'm not your Mother, but, I'll clean up your mess". It was the woman working with Rebecca Lob:confused:h, well, there was always Howard Cosell. I think it is importnt to remember that there is a universal guideline for all "casters" and that is: don.t assume that any listener is up to speed info wise. Ergo;
those of us who watch the games on TV are going to get a steady diet of info heard many times before. Turn the sound off and listen to Kara. Anyone is better than....................you know who!

Reaction Score
Isn't a cliche over-used the moment it becomes a cliche?? Let's Ask Dick Vitale.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The one that floored me came from last weeks Tenn-Baylor game: "I'm not your Mother, but, I'll clean up your mess". It was the woman working with Rebecca Lob:confused:h, well, there was always Howard Cosell. I think it is importnt to remember that there is a universal guideline for all "casters" and that is: don.t assume that any listener is up to speed info wise. Ergo;
those of us who watch the games on TV are going to get a steady diet of info heard many times before. Turn the sound off and listen to Kara. Anyone is better than....................you know who!
I thought it was Rebecca not Beth Mowens who said that.

Reaction Score
May well be, it sounded like Beth to me. Whatever. The fun continues: With Bowl games on the horizon; the use of "Flushed-out" in headlines is on the increase- See Sundays sports sections-take your pick.

Reaction Score
I don't know if others have mentioned this yet! The old timers in the NBA Chick Hearn,the Celtons announcers and others that are not coming to mine at the moment created amazing original phrases that became cliches The list would be a fascinating thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom