Overtime Elite grabs another… | The Boneyard

Overtime Elite grabs another…

Reaction Score

-> Jazian Gortman, the No. 11 overall prospect in the 2022 class, has decided to forgo his college eligibility and has signed with the Overtime Elite program, sources tell 247Sports.

The 6-foot-1, 155-pound point guard out of Columbia (S.C.) W J Keenan chose to join Overtime Elite over college options including Florida State, Wake Forest, Miami and NC State amongst others.

Gortman is the fifth five-star prospect to join the Overtime Elite program alongside Amen Thompson, Ausar Thompson, Matt Bewley and Jalen Lewis and the 14th overall prospect to go this new professional pathway for youth prospects. <-

Reaction Score
Honestly, one-and-done prospects rarely make up the excitement of the college basketball landscape.

For example, here are last year's top-15 prospects that signed on with college teams:

1) Cunningham -OSU
3) Mobley - USC
5) Boston- Kentucky
6) Williams- Stanford
7) Barnes - Florida State
8) Clarke - Kentucky
9) Brown - Texas
10) Cisse - Memphis
11) Christopher - Memphis
12) Suggs - Gonzaga
13) Johnson - Duke
14 & 15) Love/Sharpe - UNC

Obviously, Suggs was a stud, Cunningham was the best player on OSU and Mobley was a stud too. Barnes was a very good player on Florida State, but maybe their #3 option.

Aside from that, did any of these players do much for the college basketball landscape?

Personally, these auxiliary options for HS kids seem like good options for certain kids, but they are not threats to college basketball.

Last edited:

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
All you have to do is look at the investor list to see if it has legs. I wouldn’t take it lightly.

Reaction Score
This is actually good news. If the kids don’t want to go to school then they shouldn’t go. College isn’t for everyone.
Nice pocket change to boot (reported as a 2 year contract):

Reaction Score
This changes lives for the young people. I just don't know how Overtime Elite makes any money.
Agreed, it will be interesting to see if they can keep this afloat. It’s hard to monetize a basketball product that is inferior to the NBA, G League, and major college basketball.

Reaction Score
Agreed, it will be interesting to see if they can keep this afloat. It’s hard to monetize a basketball product that is inferior to the NBA, G League, and major college basketball.
Where in the world is MandeldoveSandiego?

Reaction Score
I don't know how they make money. But they are paying 16 year old elite prospects to play basketball and getting them through high school, fed with proper nutrition, and a place to sleep and stay out of trouble.

This changes lives for the young people. I just don't know how Overtime Elite makes any money.
seriously this kid is going to basically gross what a fairly successful college graduate would make in his/her first 10 years after graduating (minus the student loans). Regardless of how it shakes out that's a really good head start for them...now they just need the guidance to not piss it all away and keep working

Reaction Score
My understanding is Overtime Elite will be making their money on future earnings from the players passing through their program. Or at least that is where the expected bulk of their revenue is going to come from.
I thought that was the case too but haven't actually been able to find any articles discussing that.

Reaction Score
I don't know how they make money. But they are paying 16 year old elite prospects to play basketball and getting them through high school, fed with proper nutrition, and a place to sleep and stay out of trouble.

Major investors but I have no clue why they're funding it, there's certainly no audience for this.

Reaction Score
My understanding is Overtime Elite will be making their money on future earnings from the players passing through their program. Or at least that is where the expected bulk of their revenue is going to come from.
So like that shady baseball company that's ripping off mlb players from Latin America? How is any of this legal?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I thought the same thing. My understanding is that players sign over a right to a percentage of future earnings. To a 16 year old, that sounds like a great deal, get money now and pay it back (and then some) later, but I am curious to see what happens when those kids make the pros and see how much is going to OE. There may be some blow back then.

I was talking with a neighbor and her nephew is doing the same thing for soccer down in Philly.

Reaction Score
Major investors but I have no clue why they're funding it, there's certainly no audience for this.
Why would you say no audience?
Would absolutely be interested in watching
If they have the top five players in the draft
There would be a nice audience
You only need a niche to be suceed

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
The G league had 2 top 5 players in the draft. I don't know a single person who says "wow, can't wait to tune into that G league action tonight." And the guys in the G league are way better than 16 year old prospects.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Good for these kids. But with the new NIL rules, I don't see what this league can provide top prospects that Duke or Kentucky cannot. And honestly, playing for one of these big name schools can probably earn you more than this league will pay them. Just look at Bryce Young - kid hasn't played a snap for Bama and has $1,000,000 in contracts because of the name on the front of the Jersey. Zion would have made way more with NIL at Duke (not to mention the constant media exposure and attention) than $100K or whatever this league is paying kids.

Reaction Score
Because they have no one to play (not playing high school, AAU, college or pro teams), no pre-existing media to broadcast and no arena lined up to hold these non-games against no one. By definition then there is no audience.

The funding is burning startup style cash to just sign these players. Plan B is purposefully vague, as in reality they are hoping to sell the enterprise to someone (the NBA) that already has a better version of it (the G League, with you know actual teams, players, games and arenas - yet also ironically not much of an audience!).

Reaction Score
The G league had 2 top 5 players in the draft. I don't know a single person who says "wow, can't wait to tune into that G league action tonight." And the guys in the G league are way better than 16 year old prospects.
Audience isn't the only reason and ways to make money. the team can make money off sneaker sponsorships, marketing, or even getting a cut of future earnings. Things like that.

I think G League is a rising tide. If the OT Elite can get a 8-person league, think about it. It essentially becomes the fourth division of pro hoops.

Here is how I look at hoops

NBA -1st division
G League - 2nd Division
College- 3rd Division
OT Elite - 4th division?
(Amateur)
High School/AAU - 4th Division?

4th Division Plays Elite AAU teams? No idea. Reminds me of the PDL in soccer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom