Overstated | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Overstated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ozzie, why don't you go keep Harriet company. Do you really think that Geno is beside himself over this win? The game was scheduled, they played it, they destroyed the competition, now on to more meaningful competition. Also, I didn't see any of UConn's players cutting down the nets, did you?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Perhaps a nice single malt scotch? And I do wish you happy holidays.

I have about half a bottle of a nice 18 year old Laphroaig. Stop by.

Reaction Score
IMO this is a game to forget about. Youve all mentioned the plus's and minus's. It was an overmatched practice and we couldnt do enough to let them play. Bottom line is we move on from here. We will see more games just like this againest better opponets. We are just to talented with no let up from 1-10.

Hartford is sold out and will be a better game. Im sure everything wont go our way. Then its the biggy with Stanford. This is the game that scares me. Yes we are the better team and I hope they dont call ticky tacky fouls againest us that keeps Stanford in the game. We are too good to lose this game and if our bigs continue to stay out of foul trouble it will be a long afternoon for Stanford.
You're starting lineup will be the same as last night, BB will be the first off the bench and Stef, Bria, Kelly, KML, BB will get most of the minutes. That five is the best 5 for this current team, the offense and defense both run smoothly. The others will get 11-18 minutes in big games.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Golly, I’m so naïve... As a kid, I really liked your show, but frankly never understood until now, exactly why you kept visiting that Malt Shop.:eek:

Bingo.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I bet VT would be tempted by a Macallan 25, neat of course!!

Oz, I have an 18 y/o (scotch for you pervs) that I've been working on for a couple of years now. Neat in the winter, just one cube in the summer.

Reaction Score
Well, Chris, I DIDN'T tell you to lighten your mood. I told VTCWBuff. And I also didn't comment on their coach or coach's instructions.

Sorry you don't think the game was worthy enough for you. Who exactly would you schedule that we don't already play and is WILLING TO PLAY US?

Perhaps you do need an egg nog or two. Or reading glasses so you know who's post to reply to.

You really can't think of any other teams we could play? Are you sure you're a women's basketball fan? Delaware, Gonzaga, Marist, GreenBay Wisconsin,
Xavier, Florida St., Florida, Georgia, Michigan, UCLA, USC (Cal or Car). Should I go on? You obviously don't know much about women's basketball or you would know there are many more teams we could play. Sorry for you.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You really can't think of any other teams we could play? Are you sure you're a women's basketball fan? Delaware, Gonzaga, Marist, GreenBay Wisconsin,
Xavier, Florida St., Florida, Georgia, Michigan, UCLA, USC (Cal or Car). Should I go on? You obviously don't know much about women's basketball or you would know there are many more teams we could play. Sorry for you.
1. Stop with the insults.
2. There are teams that will not play UConn early in the season (due to new players on the roster or other such reasons) or won't play UConn at all. Or, the teams aren't able to work out mutually convenient times.
3. Sometimes the AD or Geno will set up games as a favor tothe other school since Opponents get a five figure appearance fee that helps its bottom line for generally unprofitable wcbb teams. Often, there's some kind of deal with the men's team or football team - this is one reason the men's and women's teams played Buffalo a couple years ago. Maybe the opposing coach has a kid that needs a homecoming game. I could go on and on with reasons for playing games that have nothing to do with pacifying cranky fans and everything to do with building relationships or just being a decent person.

HGN

Reaction Score
How much confidence do you gain from beating an overmatched team that was missing its two best players? Meaghan acted like this game was the cure-all for what ails UConn. The Huskies played well, but let's not get too carried away with the win. It wasn't like they beat Stanford or Baylor. Kerith Burke has my vote to be the commentator for the Huskies' games.
Chris , I think many players and teams can gain confidence in beating an overmatched team. Especially when the coach puts in the younger players. The Freshmen, sophomores , and little used players can use that game to gain much confidence going forward. Its not always about juniors and seniors gaining confidence , they already know what they can do. Its sometimes about developing your younger players. I am sure Geno looks at playing an Oakland , Hartford , Marist , etc ...as a good opportunity to give his younger players some PT , and develop his entire team . Not just the veterans and AA's.

Reaction Score
1. Stop with the insults.
2. There are teams that will not play UConn early in the season (due to new players on the roster or other such reasons) or won't play UConn at all. Or, the teams aren't able to work out mutually convenient times.
3. Sometimes the AD or Geno will set up games as a favor tothe other school since Opponents get a five figure appearance fee that helps its bottom line for generally unprofitable wcbb teams. Often, there's some kind of deal with the men's team or football team - this is one reason the men's and women's teams played Buffalo a couple years ago. Maybe the opposing coach has a kid that needs a homecoming game. I could go on and on with reasons for playing games that have nothing to do with pacifying cranky fans and everything to do with building relationships or just being a decent person.

You're reply was so nonspecific as to be worthless. You don't know if any of those teams have ever been asked and yet you act like none of them would be willing to play UConn. What does giving opponents a five figure appearance fee have to do with what other colleges UConn could play? Absolutely nothing. As for your answer, it was insulting because you never answered the question. Of course they could play any and all of those teams I listed and many more.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You're reply was so nonspecific as to be worthless. You don't know if any of those teams have ever been asked and yet you act like none of them would be willing to play UConn. What does giving opponents a five figure appearance fee have to do with what other colleges UConn could play? Absolutely nothing. As for your answer, it was insulting because you never answered the question. Of course they could play any and all of those teams I listed and many more.
I don't know how you got all that gobbledygook from what I wrote. I don't know if any of those teams you listed were asked for a game but if they were, they might have declined to play for the reasons I gave. And the reason that Geno or the AD chose to play Oakland may be listed in part 3 of my response above.

Are you capable of responding to people without hostility? Time to lose it or you will be banned. Is that specific enough for you?

Reaction Score
You're reply was so nonspecific as to be worthless. As for your answer, it was insulting because you never answered the question.
I think it was Ambrose Bierce who said, "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret".

There was value in playing that game. We moved into second place in Division I scoring offense, passing Tennessee. That's always a good thing.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

Nan was attempting to clarify why most Boneyarders are all too familiar with this complaint. It has been common knowledge for years (Right from Geno's mouth) that UCONN has had a difficult time getting many of the top teams to play them. No, We don't have an exact comprehensive list of the teams that have refused but the point is Geno & the AD have tried to put together a schedule with no "Weak opponents" in the past but always have to plug the sched. with a few weaker ones because for whatever reason many top teams will not play us. And in order to draw some of the weaker ones to put up with the beat-down they get, the financial incentive is a good draw for teams with fewer resources.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Geno and others have spoken directly to this issue many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom