Overseas 22-23 Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Overseas 22-23 Thread

Reaction Score
Moriah only played a handful of games before being injured - I believe an ankle. She was on crutches for a while and was with the team for several weeks/months before leaving for the States. The injury would appear to be long term. I hope she is ready to go in May.

From what I saw on IG, she’s in storrs

Reaction Score
Stewies first game in Turkey starting now, 11am EST

Link for her stats:

This game summarizes the mysteries of the overseas game to the American basketball world. Fenerbahce fields Stewie, Kayla McBride, Satou Sabally, Emma Meesseman, European star Alina Iagupova, former WNBA draft pick and Wake Forest player Ivana Raca, Serbian national team player Mina Djordjevic, and several Turkish national team players. The winner of the game was going to sit in first place in the EuroLeague group for now and it is in a massive city in a country where as many as 20 million people claim to be Fenerbahce fans. The game draws under 500 spectators...

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Link for her stats:

This game summarizes the mysteries of the overseas game to the American basketball world. Fenerbahce fields Stewie, Kayla McBride, Satou Sabally, Emma Meesseman, European star Alina Iagupova, former WNBA draft pick and Wake Forest player Ivana Raca, Serbian national team player Mina Djordjevic, and several Turkish national team players. The winner of the game was going to sit in first place in the EuroLeague group for now and it is in a massive city in a country where as many as 20 million people claim to be Fenerbahce fans. The game draws under 500 spectators...
I dont know if this is the reason, but possibly it could be. Disposable income?

"The annual inflation rate in Turkey fell to a 9-month low of 64.3 percent in December 2022 from 84.4 percent in the previous month".

Reaction Score
I dont know if this is the reason, but possibly it could be. Disposable income?

"The annual inflation rate in Turkey fell to a 9-month low of 64.3 percent in December 2022 from 84.4 percent in the previous month".

Even in past years, they never really seem to draw until a trophy is on the line. It is just hard to compare professional sports around the world to the United States when people are telling the WNBA to compete with overseas teams. It's great that the Aces have sold out their expensive season tickets, including their $20,000 ones. Meanwhile, Bourges, which may have the best track record of large numbers of fan support while actually charging something charges 400 euros for the best season tickets. The cheapest season tickets for the Liberty are $500 and the cheapest season tickets for Seattle are $630.

Reaction Score
Domestic league stats for Stewie:

They have some work to figure out how they want to approach the playoffs as they lost to Tip Hayes's team Cukurova for the second time in recent weeks. Cukurova seems to have clearly chosen Chelsea Gray, Tip, and DeWanna Bonner as their foreigners. Assuming that Kayla McBride leaves for the WNBA before the finals, that would lead to some interesting choices for Fenerbahce. You figure that Stewart is a lock, but they would need a guard so that would probably mean Iagupova. Without McBride, starting Stewart at the 3 and having the Turkish players soak up all the extra minutes at the 1, 2, and 3 makes sense. Kiah Stokes should be able to play most of the minutes at the 5 so would you go with Satou Sabally or Emma Meesseman in terms of positional flexibility?

Also, I looked and Fenerbahce charges about $3.50 for tickets anywhere in the gym that is not the floor seats with season tickets running around $80 before the season.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Anna Makurat seems to be having a good year with her team as well.
You can find her game by game stats here: Anna Makurat Player Profile, Dinamo Sassari, News, Stats - Eurobasket

Her scoring is up and down, but her rebound and assist numbers are steady and good. However, she's (surprisingly...) recording a lot of turnovers.

I'm glad she's finding her footing and seems to have recovered from her string of injuries. Remember when she came back for her sophomore year (before her injury...) and she looked like she was in phenomenal shape? She looks like she's gotten back to that. Strong, lean, and her movements seem less cumbersome than they were when she arrived as a freshman.

I've loved following her this season and I'm happy she seems happy and back to playing well.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
For those that are still up at 11pm EST, Saturday night.

Liv's team in Australia is about to start, free on You Tube!!

Melbourne v Bendigo

Reaction Score
Gabby goes 17 points, 3 rebounds, 4 assists, a steal & a block (shooting 7/10, 1/1, 2/2) in the win over Lithuania (83-75)
Prioritization is still the word concerning Gab's future

Reaction Score
Almost a whole day without anyone posting about Breanna joining Kiah at Fener:

Some will as they always have, but the money in Australia is not that great so players are generally giving up something in that department to play there.

Is it more than the WNBA pays?

Reaction Score
In the game against France, Juste Jocyte had 15 points, 5 rebounds and 6 assists, shooting 6/7, 2/2., 1/2

Reaction Score
Stats from Bre since she's playing for Fenerbehce
bre 01.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg