Overrated Chant | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Overrated Chant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
LOL, this topic comes up multiple times every year, and it continues to amaze me how much people care.

Yes, the chant is stupid, but it's just not a big deal. And as far as the list of unsportsmanlike chants are concerned, it's very low on the totem pole.

Simply put, it's just not worth your time to worry about.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This thread is just another case of so-called "fans" that don't go to games badmouthing those real fans that do. I hate that more than the the "overrated" chant.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The "overrated" chant is self descriptive.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wow... what an offensive post. Saying that the students were drunk... at a game in Hartford off campus... and how were they getting back? Drunk driving? Great idea. Also, last week of classes... they should be studying. Your comments are insulting to all people who went through finals sober... and where were basketball fans as students. Quit while you are behind...

Is there a way to "unlike" a post? Chill out. :cool:

Reaction Score
the chant, the counting down, and waving and screaming at foul shooters are all bush league stuff that have no place at an athletic contest. i can't imagine that people who actually have set foot on a court or field are ever part of that .

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
the chant, the counting down, and waving and screaming at foul shooters are all bush league stuff that have no place at an athletic contest. i can't imagine that people who actually have set foot on a court or field are ever part of that .
I can't agree completely. Yes, Over-rated is objectionable (and demeaning to your own team to boot - if they are over-rated it isn't a big thing you beat them) and so is air-ball. I can't stand booing other teams players (as RU football coach Greg Schiano once said, coaches can be booed - that's why they get the big bucks). However, the counting down, waving behind free throw baskets, etc - that 's just part of the game. Atmosphere, if you will.

At RU, my wife would usually yell "miss" at a first free-throw as it was released, and "box out Red" at the second. Never anything objectionable to the player.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
LOL, half the fans want the crowd to be more into the game and the other half wants golf claps.

Personally, I think the students do a great job creating a hostile environment for visiting teams. It's called home court advantage. I doubt the players on either team really notice anyway. And if the kids have any plans to shoot for the WNBA, they'd better get used to that type of stuff .

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"Your comments are insulting to all people who went through finals sober... and where were basketball fans as students. "

Huh?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
LOL, half the fans want the crowd to be more into the game and the other half wants golf claps.

Personally, I think the students do a great job creating a hostile environment for visiting teams. It's called home court advantage. I doubt the players on either team really notice anyway. And if the kids have any plans to shoot for the WNBA, they'd better get used to that type of stuff .
Agree- really pleased that the students showed in up solid numbers for Stanford and A&M and did their thing in general. I will say that when the students did the overrated chant to Duke last season with two minutes to go in the first half, Duke's bench definitely noticed.

Bottom line, the sport isn't going to thrive without younger fans caring about the games. Just like on the men's side, the girls are getting a free education to play a game. They can take some ribbing along the way. Not condoning it, but not losing any sleep over it either.

Reaction Score

i have no illusions that this stuff will ever change. you and others may think that "creating a hostile environment" is a big part of what fans are supposed to do at games, but to me it has always reeked of poor sportsmanship. just playing on a foreign court in front of a large crowd of partisan fans is a very big advantage for the home team. when i coached i tried to step in when fans went in this direction. but coaches today , looking for every advantage, really don't seem to mind at all. though geno did apparently did say something after the game, which is a good thing. and, actually, it appears to me that the sportsmanship level among players is at a pretty high level these days, which is good to see.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
The only sportsmanship that counts is what happens on the field. The fans are not competitors. That doesn't mean that their shouldn't be limits on fan behavior, but they are not part of the team.

As an aside - wasn't the overrated thing used against Duke last year? I don't remember Auriemma chastizing the fans about it then.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
i have no illusions that this stuff will ever change. you and others may think that "creating a hostile environment" is a big part of what fans are supposed to do at games, but to me it has always reeked of poor sportsmanship. just playing on a foreign court in front of a large crowd of partisan fans is a very big advantage for the home team. when i coached i tried to step in when fans went in this direction. but coaches today , looking for every advantage, really don't seem to mind at all. though geno did apparently did say something after the game, which is a good thing. and, actually, it appears to me that the sportsmanship level among players is at a pretty high level these days, which is good to see.
why have fans attend the games?
If you dont mind me asking, what level did you coach?

Reaction Score
why have fans attend the games?
If you dont mind me asking, what level did you coach?

i go to enjoy the competition up close and personal, and to "root" for somebody. pretty boring, ay? and i think that's what a lot of fans still do. i think the players really appreciate having a crowd there supporting them. my guess is that the players really are not that interested in their fans creating a "hostile" atmosphere, with ridiculous chants, etc. why do you go to games? your question almost seems to intimate that you may think fans have a "higher" purpose, that the more they can get in players faces, or their ears , even from a distance, the better. is that why you think fans should attend games? excuse me,though, if i've mis-read you. i guess that i believe fans should be pro-their teams and not anti-the opponents.

sure, i coached high school varsity teams in soccer,baseball, wrestling, and basketball.. and i, and my teams, of course, loved having fans at the games, even though in those days fans were not very hostile. loud , of course, but not hostile. though, i do remember one hostile student at a basketball game mouthing off to an opposing player at the end of the half, and the player hit him one punch that actually lifted him out of the bleachers onto the floor. unfortunately, he chose to yell at a player who was also a Golden Gloves fighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom