Overnight Oats | The Boneyard

Overnight Oats

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is kind of a fad I suppose, like Avocado Toast (which I've never had). Still, now that I'm back in the office 3 days a week (boo) I was eating an English Muffin for breakfast, but it was too early in the day. I found myself hungry at 10 AM. So I decided to try the overnight oats. No sugar or honey, I used rolled oats, 2% milk and nonfat plain yogurt. Added some blueberries in the morning. Pretty good and definitely pretty filling.

Anybody else going in on this fad breakfast? I wouldn't do it if I was at home where I can make anything. But it works quite well for a portable breakfast at the office. Initially I was going to buy breakfast bars or something. But this is a better option than that, and a lot cheaper to make. I may experiment with other fruits or even natural peanut butter.

Reaction Score
sounds good - can you give us the measurements of the ingredients?? Thanks!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
sounds good - can you give us the measurements of the ingredients?? Thanks!
I'm no expert. Basically, take rolled/old fashioned oats (not instant, not steel-cut) so you get the right consistency. Mix those with milk and if you want, yogurt. I used 1/2 cup of oatmeal, 1/2 cup of 2% milk and a couple tablespoons of non-fat yogurt for protein and probiotics. Stir together in a container and leave it overnight in the refrigerator. I added blueberries in the morning. Eat cold. They soak up the moisture like they do when cooking.

There are lots of variations with other fruit, whole milk or whole milk yogurt, peanut butter (I will try that), maple syrup, honey (a popular choice). I am planning to stick with it a couple of days a week so I can bring them to the office.

Reaction Score
I'm no expert. Basically, take rolled/old fashioned oats (not instant, not steel-cut) so you get the right consistency. Mix those with milk and if you want, yogurt. I used 1/2 cup of oatmeal, 1/2 cup of 2% milk and a couple tablespoons of non-fat yogurt for protein and probiotics. Stir together in a container and leave it overnight in the refrigerator. I added blueberries in the morning. Eat cold. They soak up the moisture like they do when cooking.

There are lots of variations with other fruit, whole milk or whole milk yogurt, peanut butter (I will try that), maple syrup, honey (a popular choice). I am planning to stick with it a couple of days a week so I can bring them to the office.

Thanks so much!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Daniel Radcliffe GIF by Oregon Trail

Reaction Score
I used to do overnight oats a few years ago, but I’ve become a morning-of microwaved oatmeal kinda guy.

My go-to (I’m guessing measurements, I do it by eye test now)

1) Pour some frozen berries in a bowl. Nuke for 30 seconds.

2) Top berries with ~1/2 cup of oatmeal + enough water to cover + a dash of cinnamon + a sprinkle of Trader Joe’s peanut butter granola. Microwave for 3 minutes.

Let it sit while I get ready and east about 20 minutes later lukewarm.

Kinda tastes like a less sugary berry cobbler.

chef’s kiss

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Love my Cheerios. Multi-Grain, Blueberry or Strawberry Banana.

Cocoa Krispies, too.

My wife does the oats in Cabot 2% Greek Yogurt.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I used to do overnight oats a few years ago, but I’ve become a morning-of microwaved oatmeal kinda guy.

My go-to (I’m guessing measurements, I do it by eye test now)

1) Pour some frozen berries in a bowl. Nuke for 30 seconds.

2) Top berries with ~1/2 cup of oatmeal + enough water to cover + a dash of cinnamon + a sprinkle of Trader Joe’s peanut butter granola. Microwave for 3 minutes.

Let it sit while I get ready and east about 20 minutes later lukewarm.

Kinda tastes like a less sugary berry cobbler.

chef’s kiss
Yeah, whole point for me is having it cold so I can have breakfast later. Eating before I drive to work was too soon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom