Overhyped and Unrealistic Expectations | The Boneyard

Overhyped and Unrealistic Expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's funny to think we were worried about next year's early departures...when in reality, we may not have 1 single NBA talent on this team.
Brimah - 1 dimensional. He shouldn't even be starting, let alone potentially leaving early for the NBA draft.
Purvis - 50% FT shooters that can't finish layups and are erratic shooters don't have a place in the NBA. He might leave early, but only bc he'll be another year older and he could potentially make $ in Europe.
Hamilton - Special talent but he can't defend, can only play with the ball in his hand, and is an avg outside shooter at best. In my eyes he's on 1:1 player, not a well versed bball player. He's got the raw talent, but it will be in his best interest to stick it out since he's not NBA ready.

This doesn't mean we can't put W's together and make some noise this year. Just simply noting we overhyped the talent on this team, and in subsequence, set unrealistic expectations.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
I think there's a general consensus on here that Purvis and Brimah are not NBA ready. No one hyped them to be 1st round picks after this season. Hamilton is an NBA talent, though. He is 6'7" with handle, is an exceptional passer, a great rebounder and has stepped up as the best player on this team. He has increased his shooting efficiency by 5.6% and is shooting 37% from 3 which is very respectable. He has a 2.6:1 assist to turnover ratio and is one of them most versatile players in the country. Before the Maryland game, he and Ben Simmons were the only players in the country averaging at least 12 points, 9 rebounds and 6 assists per game.

I also think Hamilton is a pretty good on ball defender. I dont have any metrics to back that up but based on the eye test he is good at staying in front of his man with the ball. Off the ball, yes, his defense needs work. Same thing on offense. He needs to condition like Rip and move off the ball a lot on offense. I think one thing he is missing is a catch and shoot move. He needs to come off of screens harder and free himself for catch and shoot opportunities. He has the length, skill and versatility to be a contributor in the NBA. No doubt in my mind.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Meh - I don't agree.

Before the season started, the rhetoric went something like this: "Wow, we have a ton of talent ... it's just a matter of building chemistry and learning to put it together."

Early games against the the North Pole and the Furmen certainly skewed the bolded part a bit, but I still don't question the individual talent on this team. It's that last part that will continue to be the crux of this team until they collectively figure out how to put it together.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what your issue is. Don't open the thread if it's tiresome for you to read. Didn't realize I was cutting into your space.

I wouldn't say "tiresome" is the right word. "Annoying" probably covers it better.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what your issue is. Don't open the thread if it's tiresome for you to read. Didn't realize I was cutting into your space.

He probably just has money on UConn to win the title, don't mind him.

Reaction Score
Again, don't read if it "annoys" you.

I think Ramon has a thing for members who don't have a lot of posted messages or likes. Who knows for sure. Let's see if he comes into this " annoying " thread a third time to comment.

Reaction Score
Overhyped maybe but unrealistic expectations, absolutely not. We are a veteran laden team with two 5 stars at the wings, a one dimensional but maybe the best shot blocker in the country, 2 5th year guys to add even more experience, one of the top ranked freshman point guards etc. we have flaws but so does everyone else. There is certainly enough here for us to be a top 15 type team and if Ollie doesn't bring that out of us this season he's underachieving.

Reaction Score
I think Ramon has a thing for members who don't have a lot of posted messages or likes. Who knows for sure. Let's see if he comes into this " annoying " thread a third time to comment.

Leave nomar be newbie - you need to earn your spot to comment on a man of his BY lore. ;)

Reaction Score
This is sort of the quintessential UConn basketball hot take right now. Yes, it was tough to lose that game, but the reality is that we were extremely competitive in two neutral court games against top 15 teams (lost by combined six points) and we were within 3 points of Maryland until the technical foul (which turned the tide of the game).

It's only early December, and while I'm not thrilled with this team spotting our opponents with big first half leads, this team is still talented and that is showing on the court. We still have Ohio State, Texas and Georgetown on the OOC schedule, which should all be winnable games, not to mention some tough competition in our conference schedule. I think there is still time to put this back together and I have just as much faith in Kevin Ollie as I did at the beginning of the year.

Reaction Score
Leave nomar be newbie - you need to earn your spot to comment on a man of his BY lore. ;)

Truth be told I am being a little passive aggressive with Nomar.
I don' t post much but have been lurking for years(love the BY).
I recently posted about one of our basketball commits and made a general comparison to Randel Jackson for which the aforementioned Nomar disagreed and then included a clip of crickets as to suggest nobody agrees.

Well that stuck with me until today.
Pretty sad , but like to keep it truthful.

Reaction Score
Ollie said this was his deepest and most talented team he's had in the preseason so if there were over hyped and unrealistic expectations...

Reaction Score
It's funny to think we were worried about next year's early departures...when in reality, we may not have 1 single NBA talent on this team.
Brimah - 1 dimensional. He shouldn't even be starting, let alone potentially leaving early for the NBA draft.
Purvis - 50% FT shooters that can't finish layups and are erratic shooters don't have a place in the NBA. He might leave early, but only bc he'll be another year older and he could potentially make $ in Europe.
Hamilton - Special talent but he can't defend, can only play with the ball in his hand, and is an avg outside shooter at best. In my eyes he's on 1:1 player, not a well versed bball player. He's got the raw talent, but it will be in his best interest to stick it out since he's not NBA ready.

This doesn't mean we can't put W's together and make some noise this year. Just simply noting we overhyped the talent on this team, and in subsequence, set unrealistic expectations.

I would be willing to wager some real money that BOTH Hamilton and Adams are NBA players.

Reaction Score
Truth be told I am being a little passive aggressive with Nomar.
I don' t post much but have been lurking for years(love the BY).
I recently posted about one of our basketball commits and made a general comparison to Randel Jackson for which the aforementioned Nomar disagreed and then included a clip of crickets as to suggest nobody agrees.

Well that stuck with me until today.
Pretty sad , but like to keep it truthful.

Wow I missed the Randall Jackson comparison who was that? Thought we had Randall sewed up and he went to the Seminoles. nice player reference.

Reaction Score
Part of the problem is some forgetting championships are won in March not December. We have won four in the last 16 years and we sound like a pathetic bunch at times. Good wine needs to age a bit and Ollie is growing with each team. Stay the course oh steady ones!

Reaction Score
Ollie said this was his deepest and most talented team he's had in the preseason so if there were over hyped and unrealistic expectations...
Probably just a little bit of JC rubbing off on him, where in the preseason everyone gained 20lbs of muscle, grew 2" (height and wingspan), added 3" to their vertical, got so much game they're turning down victoria's secret models, and is playing the best basketball he's ever seen

we should be used to that by now, but we still eat it up every time...what a bunch of uconn-loving suckers we are (still hoping KO's prediction comes true!)

Reaction Score

Have you watched an NBA game before? When do they play defense there? There might be one good defensive player on each team if lucky in the league. DHAM has all the skills if he continues to improve his shot to be a NBA 1rst round pick in 2016. The other two I agree are destined for Europe at best. I will say AB is playing stronger but his game is still too limited unfortunately. RP gives A effort but it just too damn streaky for my taste and sometimes still forces stuff when there is nothing there.

Reaction Score
Wow I missed the Randall Jackson comparison who was that? Thought we had
Randall sewed up and he went to the Seminoles. nice player reference.

It was Durham I suggested was like Randall.
I actually tried to find some highlight video of him but could not find any to make comparison.

Sorry to high jack your thread GuardU

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Ha, I remember that. It was so random! Surely there's another comp to a wiry 6'10-6'11 guy from more recently than two decades ago. I hope Durham is better than Jackson, who was in my view a disappointment. Anyway, clean slate, @Rewster, whaddya say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom