Outta The Box Idea Bring Lou In As 6th Man | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Outta The Box Idea Bring Lou In As 6th Man

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
You are looking for evidence-based reasoning? I can provide some, though I'm not sure it matters if you bring up the example of Ralph coming off the bench as a freshman, before she is an AA, to Samuelson coming off the bench as a senior and two time AA.

They've played some of their best basketball lately with Samuelson out and ONO in. They've also played some of their best basketball against South Carolina with Walker out and ONO in. They've also played some of their best basketball against Notre Dame with Collier out and ONO in. The common denominator is not Samuelson being out but ONO being in. Given that is the case, if you were to replace ONO for any of the starters you would not do it for the two All-Americans with six games left in their careers.

ONO is not better than any of those three players, but does fit a particular niche better than the other three.

Should ONO start instead of Walker? It depends how correct you are in thinking Walker needs to start to be in the flow of the game. The more you actually think that is true, the less compelling is the reason to start ONO.
I assume that you are starting your game count about two weeks from now, and not from just minutes before game-time tonight.
1552344757099.png

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
So how many minutes would Lou play since she’s a bench player
In some games no minutes, if the varsity is playing well...………………….

Reaction Score
Have any of you New Englanders ever heard of Kevin McHale, John Havlicek, and Frank Ramsey? If the answer is no, how about driving down to Springfield and checking out their busts at the Hall of Fame.
but she ain't any of those guys ...

she is The Larry Bird

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I was thinking that we might ask Geno to decide how to coach this team. And who to play and when. Just a an
"out of the box" thought here in Boneyard coaches land! ;)

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I was thinking that we might ask Geno to decide how to coach this team. And who to play and when. Just a an
"out of the box" thought here in Boneyard coaches land! ;)

Nah, he lost two regular season games this year. It’s obviously time to put him and CD out to pasture. ;)

Reaction Score
Never afraid to say something controversial...
Not controversial just over coaching and thinking it. Funny how people act like the AAC tournament is the old Big East for talent and competition. I am super excited to see them play hard and play better defense (against offensive challenged teams) but let's not act like the big three are on the floor without her... wait she started most of those games with them too.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
The team is adjusting so well w/o Lou was thinking we should have her come in as 6th man and start a regular substitution pattern for the team. Lou is so versatile that we can plug here in any position or situation and she would impact the game in a way the other team would struggle to adapt too...

I waited until tonight's is over ... minutes ago. I like this idea. Eases her back into the gameshape and re-establishes her rhythm. Eventually, I would be inclined to start Lou and Olivia. Initially I would rotate CW and MW. Then sub as the game dictates.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
This isn't entirely unprecedented. Remember when Bria came off the bench once Stewie got back into the starting lineup as a freshman? It was Doty, Faris, Stewie, Stef and KML, with Bria as the first sub off the bench. Bria was an All-American at that point too.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
This isn't entirely unprecedented. Remember when Bria came off the bench once Stewie got back into the starting lineup as a freshman? It was Doty, Faris, Stewie, Stef and KML, with Bria as the first sub off the bench. Bria was an All-American at that point too.
It's crazy to think there was a time when it made sense to start Faris and Doty over Mo and Tuck. Reminds you how much players can grow season to season...

Reaction Score
Have any of you New Englanders ever heard of Kevin McHale, John Havlicek, and Frank Ramsey? If the answer is no, how about driving down to Springfield and checking out their busts at the Hall of Fame.

MD: Three Celtic greats there. Lived in Boston and saw them play plenty. Was fortunate to see Havlicek many times when he played college ball also, in some terrific battles against a very good Purdue team. Saw Ramsey at UK a lot also, as the father of a room mate of mine was the football coach there and eventually Dean and President of UK. Never saw McHale in college plenty as a Celt. the day that great 1986 Celtic team had there victory parade was the day my dad died in my arms....while saying, "I'll be alright, Son."

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
It's crazy to think there was a time when it made sense to start Faris and Doty over Mo and Tuck. Reminds you how much players can grow season to season...

I wish I could like this 1000 times.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Do you realistically think Geno is going to bring an 2 time All-American Senior with 6 games left in her UConn career off the bench?

Geno did joke? in his presser that Lou had to earn back her starting job. ' Just not going to hand it to her' ;)

Reaction Score
MD: Three Celtic greats there. Lived in Boston and saw them play plenty. Was fortunate to see Havlicek many times when he played college ball also, in some terrific battles against a very good Purdue team. Saw Ramsey at UK a lot also, as the father of a room mate of mine was the football coach there and eventually Dean and President of UK. Never saw McHale in college plenty as a Celt. the day that great 1986 Celtic team had there victory parade was the day my dad died in my arms....while saying, "I'll be alright, Son."
What a story! Thanks for sharing! Been a Celtics fan my whole life. Larry's my favorite.
Have you read the new book about Cousy, Russell, and the Celtics? Bet you'd like it. "The Last Pass".

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yea, but that was for Doty. She was the one with physical problems. And Doty was the Sr5 while Hartley was a Jr. Pretty much a completely different scenario.

Reaction Score
What a story! Thanks for sharing! Been a Celtics fan my whole life. Larry's my favorite.
Have you read the new book about Cousy, Russell, and the Celtics? Bet you'd like it. "The Last Pass".

MD: Glad you enjoyed that. Do not know of the Celts book but am making a note now. Thank you. (Celts were my team too, but these days I can't stomach the men's game at ANY level.....and barely the women's EXCEPT for "Our Girls"....the only real basketball left.)

Reaction Score
If Lou and Collier want to play every minute the rest of the way, let them. As Collier has mentioned a bunch of times now, this is the end, and she just wants to enjoy every last moment that she has left in her college career.

Reaction Score
Yea, but that was for Doty. She was the one with physical problems. And Doty was the Sr5 while Hartley was a Jr. Pretty much a completely different scenario.
Doty had a terrific Freshman year and then started the ACLs. Geno appreciated Doty, her loyalty hard work bb IQ and leadership. GA started Doty that 5th year because of those qualities. And she was subbed out five minutes or so into each half.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
MD: Glad you enjoyed that. Do not know of the Celts book but am making a note now. Thank you. (Celts were my team too, but these days I can't stomach the men's game at ANY level.....and barely the women's EXCEPT for "Our Girls"....the only real basketball left.)
You'll love that book! Lots of inside stuff. I only know Cousy as the legend. Russell had it tough back in those days. You'll learn a lot about Red and "Tommy-Gun".
My first year watching was 1968-69, I was 11.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom