Outlet Shopping Center coming to The Rent | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Outlet Shopping Center coming to The Rent

Status
Not open for further replies.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
There is construction going on now. The entrance to Cabelas from Main St. is closed off. Lots going on there.
That has to do with a new building for P & W.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
PW just granted tons more land for parking. Not really going to affect much. The walk from that lot was worse than most off stadium spots anyway.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
There are lots up and down Silver lane that can be used for parking. We really do have it pretty easy in comparison to many other schools throughout the country. Was in Charlottesville not long ago and was thinking where the heck do they park? BC is awful. Cuse is pretty scattered. In a lot of places, folks are walking quiet a bit to the stadium.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Silvas is the go to off site spot. 15 bucks and you can use whatever grill and play whatever game.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Silvas is the go to off site spot. 15 bucks and you can use whatever grill and play whatever game.
As has been the Aircraft Club. Indoor facilities too.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
As has been the Aircraft Club. Indoor facilities too.
That's the only real issue with Silvas. They have a single porta potty and park about 75 cars. Then they huff and puff if you piss in the woods.

Reaction Score
I think the developers have been looking for a sweetener to start the development since the plans were approved. I don't think this is going to happen.

Reaction Score
So they moved a bunch of dirt around at the end of the year last year. IIRC, it had something to do with having to "break ground" by a certain date. There hasn't been much movement since then, unfortunately. I think it had to do with breaking ground, then they could apply for a grant or something. So really not much to report

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I really hope there's apartments and bars and stuff in this facility. Could be a nice place for UConn grads to land if they are working in Hartford/WeHa and then being that close to the Rent they have no excuse not to go

Reaction Score
FUBAR

Fact is ... as illustrated by the Kroenke win for the Los Angeles NFL franchise, mixed use development (when done well) can be a HUGE regional draw and really advance OUR Football Program. Rentschler has this capability through simply brilliant accessibility and ingress/egress points plus the near proximity of the job base. The current development players have royally screwed this up. (IMHO)

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
FUBAR

Fact is ... as illustrated by the Kroenke win for the Los Angeles NFL franchise, mixed use development (when done well) can be a HUGE regional draw and really advance OUR Football Program. Rentschler has this capability through simply brilliant accessibility and ingress/egress points plus the near proximity of the job base. The current development players have royally screwed this up. (IMHO)
If you lived at Rentschler Field (wait for it...Rent at the Rent) you have nearly immediate access to almost every major highway in the state and it could really gentrify that area. Having somewhere other than Margaritas to go after a game? That'd be nice.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think you guys are in for a bit of a dissapointment.

Granted, I haven't heard any specifics in a few years but, last I heard they were courting big box type stores like Lowe's and maybe a Marriott style hotel. There was a flyer on an outlet mall but with Buckland and West Farms so close there was little interest.

It was sold as mixed use, but that idea flamed out quickly. The lack of an announced deal leads me to believe nothing is coming soon.

The dirt you are seeing is the access road between cabelas and Rte 2 near Augie and Rays/Wendys. My guess is that the funding for that part came through and that is what you are seeing.

15 years after the stadium we might have a build ready plot. When you lie with clowns expect to wake up covered in grease paint.

Reaction Score
I think you guys are in for a bit of a dissapointment.

Granted, I haven't heard any specifics in a few years but, last I heard they were courting big box type stores like Lowe's and maybe a Marriott style hotel. There was a flyer on an outlet mall but with Buckland and West Farms so close there was little interest.

It was sold as mixed use, but that idea flamed out quickly. The lack of an announced deal leads me to believe nothing is coming soon.

The dirt you are seeing is the access road between cabelas and Rte 2 near Augie and Rays/Wendys. My guess is that the funding for that part came through and that is what you are seeing.

15 years after the stadium we might have a build ready plot. When you lie with clowns expect to wake up covered in grease paint.

The Outlet Mall idea is just dumb. It is 10 years beyond the growth of that component of retail. And Big Boxes as well.

Mixed Use is just really hard to do. Obviously the current guys in control don't know what they are doing. Generally .... this has to a large residential community (mostly rental) and then the RETAIL or other uses are there to enhance community ambience. If I were asked, I would see what Medical or University/Educational component could be some part as well.

Net? Still a great location.

Reaction Score
The Outlet Mall idea is just dumb. It is 10 years beyond the growth of that component of retail. And Big Boxes as well.

Mixed Use is just really hard to do. Obviously the current guys in control don't know what they are doing. Generally .... this has to a large residential community (mostly rental) and then the RETAIL or other uses are there to enhance community ambience. If I were asked, I would see what Medical or University/Educational component could be some part as well.

Net? Still a great location.
I agree that it is a great location. But is the demand for residential there? The population of CT is aging and declining, and I don't think that area (due to the stadium) is appealing to the seniors looking to downsize into single level/low-maintenance living. Is there demand for housing there? And is the demographic needed to make it work, willing to tell their friends they live in East Hartford, over Middletown, WH, or one of the other more desirable towns with things nearby to do? I don't have the answers, but based on how long it is taking for this development to happen, we can probably guess the answers.

The medical/university components don't seem likely with all the money being spent for UConn downtown and the Jackson Lab development in Farmington.

Reaction Score
http://crdact.net/data/Unsorted/10-20-2016-DraftBoardMtg-Minutes-73635-1.pdf

CRDA is involved with two separate projects related to the development of Rentschler Field in East Hartford as seen on the map presented by Michael Freimuth for Mayor Leclerc:

•  The first relates to the construction of East Hartford Boulevard North, which will run from Cabela’s down to the southern part of the site - allowing for access to Stadium parking lots, the proposed outlet mall and any future development on the site. CRDA is currently working with UTC and their developer, The Matos Group, to oversee construction of the road, using $7 million of State Bond funds given to OPM for this purpose. Construction is expected to start in the spring.
  •  The second project relates to construction of utilities, roadways and other site improvements that will service both the proposed outlet mall and any future development at Rentschler Field. In September, the Town of East Hartford received $12 million in Urban Act funds for this purpose and asked CRDA to oversee their expenditure. CRDA has been meeting with DECD, the Town and the outlet mall developer to work out the necessary agreements and to review plans.

East Hartford Boulevard – expansion of 10 acre site at Rentschler Field, design is nearing completion, Spring target for construction.
    XL – Capital projects – elevators, cleaning up overpass, ice floor bids will go out to RFP in February, security improvements beginning.
    Building at P&W stadium – building is 11 years old, funds need to start being set aside for capital Improvements.

Reaction Score
http://crdact.net/data/Unsorted/10-20-2016-DraftBoardMtg-Minutes-73635-1.pdf

CRDA is involved with two separate projects related to the development of Rentschler Field in East Hartford as seen on the map presented by Michael Freimuth for Mayor Leclerc:

•  The first relates to the construction of East Hartford Boulevard North, which will run from Cabela’s down to the southern part of the site - allowing for access to Stadium parking lots, the proposed outlet mall and any future development on the site. CRDA is currently working with UTC and their developer, The Matos Group, to oversee construction of the road, using $7 million of State Bond funds given to OPM for this purpose. Construction is expected to start in the spring.
  •  The second project relates to construction of utilities, roadways and other site improvements that will service both the proposed outlet mall and any future development at Rentschler Field. In September, the Town of East Hartford received $12 million in Urban Act funds for this purpose and asked CRDA to oversee their expenditure. CRDA has been meeting with DECD, the Town and the outlet mall developer to work out the necessary agreements and to review plans.

East Hartford Boulevard – expansion of 10 acre site at Rentschler Field, design is nearing completion, Spring target for construction.
    XL – Capital projects – elevators, cleaning up overpass, ice floor bids will go out to RFP in February, security improvements beginning.
    Building at P&W stadium – building is 11 years old, funds need to start being set aside for capital Improvements.
I know they talked about replacing the ice system at the XL before...I hope they take a look at what is in the Barclay's..and go total opposite. That is hands down the worst ice surface in the NHL.

Reaction Score
I know they talked about replacing the ice system at the XL before...I hope they take a look at what is in the Barclay's..and go total opposite. That is hands down the worst ice surface in the NHL.

I was concerned about this also.

Current system in HCC is from whaler days and uses over like 9 miles of steel piping in the concrete. The steel pipes are corroding and leaking like crazy.

Barclays is rumored to have to go from a plastic like material back to steel pipes to meet NHL standards.

This article back from June scares me:
XL Center, Without State Money, In For Patchwork Repairs

The largest share of the latest request from CRDA — $2.5 million — would finance the replacement of the ice-making system under the rink. The cost is high because nearly 14 inches of concrete and insulation that form the floor of the rink must be torn out, all of it embedded with about 9 miles of steel pipe. The steel pipes, which carry chilled liquid to maintain the ice, corroded over time and leaks have been temporarily patched.

But there are signs that more trouble is on the way because some areas of the ice are "slushy."

"This design concept was abandoned years ago, and I have been told by contractors who install these systems, that there are only a handful of these old systems left in the country," Saint said.

The new system, which would take about three months to install, also would bury the pipes in concrete but instead of steel, a material similar to PVC would be used, Saint said.

I sure hope they know what they're doing. The old systems worked. NO PLASTIC. Thats why Barclays has to go back to steel.
I hope the CRDA and SCI (NHL approved contractor) will know to use steel or an approved material to keep the refrigerant cool and keep it at the required 21 degrees.

I almost want to write Bob Saint and Mike Freimuth to make sure…

Reaction Score

Current system in HCC is from whaler days and uses over like 9 miles of steel piping in the concrete. The steel pipes are corroding and leaking like crazy.

Barclays is rumored to have to go from a plastic like material back to steel pipes to meet NHL standards.

The largest share of the latest request from CRDA — $2.5 million — would finance the replacement of the ice-making system under the rink. The cost is high because nearly 14 inches of concrete and insulation that form the floor of the rink must be torn out, all of it embedded with about 9 miles of steel pipe. The steel pipes, which carry chilled liquid to maintain the ice, corroded over time and leaks have been temporarily patched.

But there are signs that more trouble is on the way because some areas of the ice are "slushy."

"This design concept was abandoned years ago, and I have been told by contractors who install these systems, that there are only a handful of these old systems left in the country," Saint said.

The new system, which would take about three months to install, also would bury the pipes in concrete but instead of steel, a material similar to PVC would be used, Saint said.

I sure hope they know what they're doing. The old systems worked. NO PLASTIC. Thats why Barclays has to go back to steel.
I hope the CRDA and SCI (NHL approved contractor) will know to use steel or an approved material to keep the refrigerant cool and keep it at the required 21 degrees.

As soon as I saw that issue at Barclay's it raised a flag because if this exact article! They need too get this right or there is going to be serious issues! I'm actually surprised the AHL doesn't use NHL specs when new ice making systems are installed.

Reaction Score

I would write....

Reaction Score
I go to Uconn hockey games at the XL.That ice is so bad.The water from the zamboni after surfacing is horrible.The ice is chewed up within 5 minutes of play.I don't think the puck ever glides on the ice.Bouncing and jumping all over the place. They better get it right next Spring !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom