Outclassed in every way. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Outclassed in every way.

Reaction Score
The reality of things is that we have a 2 guard that produces absolutely nothing. How can you have a starting 2 guard that routinely doesn’t score? How good can we really be with only 1.5 perimeter shooters that can consistently hit shots (Martin isn’t exactly consistent) This team is severely flawed and opposing teams know it. The Ajax experiment needs to end. He can’t shoot or defend at all. Hawkins needs all his minutes going forward.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Totally outclassed except for the last 5-10 minutes- finally, during that time, we looked like the faster, better team
That difference would being Hawkins playing fearless down 23, instead of fumbling crap all over the court down 2 … because that was difference between first and 2nd half personal performance, ( he really has to get out of his own head)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I expected WAY more out of Polley this year. Bad take on my part.
Your comment is a model of simple, responsible, clear, and effective communication. I'm surprised that it's not more commonly done. It's not like this board lacks for bad takes.

Reaction Score
Nova shredded our defense, inside and out. On offense, they turned us over, contested our shots, and slowed us to a crawl.

Wright got Whaley and Sanogo in early foul trouble by going at them (and we helped with stupid fouls away from the basket). Hurley had no answers.

It was a clinic. As the announcers said, they ran us out of the gym. I'm sure there will be some upside posts about Hawkins or some such nonsense. But there was no upside to this game. They sagged on Sanogo like everyone will and no Husky stepped up. Back to the drawing board. It could get late early if there isn't some serious soul searching after this beat down.
And some thought i was crazy saying we could lose this game by 15.

Reaction Score
The reality of things is that we have a 2 guard that produces absolutely nothing. How can you have a starting 2 guard that routinely doesn’t score? How good can we really be with only 1.5 perimeter shooters that can consistently hit shots (Martin isn’t exactly consistent) This team is severely flawed and opposing teams know it. The Ajax experiment needs to end. He can’t shoot or defend at all. Hawkins needs all his minutes going forward.
I’m not sure that giving Hawkins Jackson’s minutes solves the problem, but I agree it needs to happen. When teams don’t even pretend to guard him at the line and he still won’t shoot, I just can’t see what Jackson brings us. Maybe we give up a rebound or two, and a showtime dunk, but not much else. Kid has zero basketball iq if you will.

Reaction Score
You can't be serious.
He means after Gillespie went to the locker room and they were without both their #1 and #2 scorers. Yeah we looked better against their #3 point guard, though he had a career day just to be fair.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Except for Sanogo and Cole that statement applies to everyone else in the rotation, no?

Almost, Im not fussed about Ajax's progress. I see improvement.

Gaf definitely expected more out of.

Whaley, no, maybe slightly, but he's not been terrible.

Reaction Score
Hurley's Big East record, without the DePaul and Butler freebies, since saying "you better get us now" two years ago? 10-11.

11-0 vs Georgetown, Butler and DePaul. 7-11 vs everyone else.
Butler went 9-11 in the Big East last year (in games not against us) and beat 7 different top 80 teams including Nova and Creighton. Butler is 4-4 in conference games not against us this year also. Georgetown went 11-7 in the Big East last year (in games not against us) and made the NCAAs by beating Nova, Creighton, and Seton Hall in a row right after we beat them by 15.

If you include decent teams in the freebies, then sure, it looks bad.

Depaul, sure, you can exclude them. And Georgetown this year.

Reaction Score
Except for Sanogo and Cole that statement applies to everyone else in the rotation, no?
I think I'd throw Martin in with them too. Jackson is a tough one because I'd have signed up for where he is now before the season, but he played so well early that he raised the bar

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Our SG scored the first 5 points of the game. He's one of the best defenders on the team. Not sure what you are talking about.

Reaction Score
Our SG scored the first 5 points of the game. He's one of the best defenders on the team. Not sure what you are talking about.
So you’re splitting hairs? What position does Jackson play then??

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So you’re splitting hairs? What position does Jackson play then??

Small forward. Has been that way all season. But calling Jackson a bad defender is insane, especially compared to Hawkins, who has been awful. Jackson is probably the best on ball perimeter defender we have and most disruptive. He's also a good shot blocker and great rebounder. He's a one man press break.

Hawkins needs more minutes, but there is no easy way to slot him in the starting lineup without sitting somebody who has more impact overall. If he was defending and rebounding, and wasn't deficient handling the ball, then maybe.

98Uconn

NL1MF
Reaction Score
And end of last season there was a lot of talk on this board that this year could be a struggle and possibly not as good as last season. We lost a lottery pick and have a weak backcourt which leads to not being able to take advantage of a good frontcourt. We have a bunch of solid role players and no true go to leader. Yes, DH can be criticized for not getting a shooter via portal (if we even truly had a shot at top tier player.. and it would have been reasonable to assume more growth from Tyler Phommachanh). He can also be criticized for some X's and O's. ... but to say this team is a disaster and DH should be on the hot seat seems crazy to me. We are a pretty good time (much better than we had been when completely irrelevant) but not a great team... and I feel like we play to that ceiling. We can be very good when hitting shots, but without a go to and someone that can beat the D off the dribble, we are what we are. When shots don't fall, it's a grind. Frustrating,I know, but understandable given our roster.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
How a team responds to a loss or poor performance is key. Villanova is 17-6, and not all of their losses are "good" ones. It's how Jay Wright and his staff and players have learned from the losses and made adjustments and improvements which has made the difference between us and them.

Reaction Score
Small forward. Has been that way all season. But calling Jackson a bad defender is insane, especially compared to Hawkins, who has been awful. Jackson is probably the best on ball perimeter defender we have and most disruptive. He's also a good shot blocker and great rebounder. He's a one man press break.

Hawkins needs more minutes, but there is no easy way to slot him in the starting lineup without sitting somebody who has more impact overall. If he was defending and rebounding, and wasn't deficient handling the ball, then maybe.
It literally says on the Uconn depth chart (which comes from the team) that he’s a “guard.” Several other list him as “sg” As far as defensive capabilities… he played Gillespie most of the game when he was in there on Saturday and gave up 20 points in a little more than a half until he sprained his ankle. Gillespie got by him at will for finishes and assists and posted him up inside the key for several and 1s. Yes he’s much better than Hawkins on defense but we gave up 85 points on Saturday… Can Hawkins’s defense be that much worse when he’s in there compared to a starter who routinely go scoreless or scores 1-3 points?? Yes he’s an excellent rebounder and has great court vision but his handle is terrible which forces him to play sg except he can’t shoot. He really needs to develop a handle and distribute similar to Ben Simmons.

Attachments

• CED75BC3-099E-4888-97BD-8EA9BA688FF4.png
    CED75BC3-099E-4888-97BD-8EA9BA688FF4.png
    762.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 95420EC4-122C-45DC-8A59-9E64C3513DEE.png
    95420EC4-122C-45DC-8A59-9E64C3513DEE.png
    547.6 KB · Views: 80

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It literally says on the Uconn depth chart (which comes from the team) that he’s a “guard.” Several other list him as “sg” As far as defensive capabilities… he played Gillespie most of the game when he was in there on Saturday and gave up 20 points in a little more than a half until he sprained his ankle. Gillespie got by him at will for finishes and assists and posted him up inside the key for several and 1s. Yes he’s much better than Hawkins on defense but we gave up 85 points on Saturday… Can Hawkins’s defense be that much worse when he’s in there compared to a starter who routinely go scoreless or scores 1-3 points?? Yes he’s an excellent rebounder and has great court vision but his handle is terrible which forces him to play sg except he can’t shoot. He really needs to develop a handle and distribute similar to Ben Simmons.
Yes, and Sango is listed as a F, despite only ever playing C. They list what the guys want to think of themselves as.

Jackson did not have Gillespie most of the game. We rotated multiple defenders at him. Yes, Hawkins' defense is worse, vastly worse since Jackson is among our best defenders. Jackson is also possibly the second best ball handler on the team after Cole. I have no idea what you are watching. Hawkins' ball handling has been abysmal. He loses the ball without even being defended.

Here are the metrics. Jackson slots just behind Whaley as the 2nd best defender on the team. Polley or course is last (except Diggins). By the way, while Jackson's offensive metrics aren't good, they are still ahead of Hawk's. Don't get me wrong, I want Hurley to build on what Hawkins did late and give him more time. But the guy who brings more right now is Jackson.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom