Outclassed in every way. | The Boneyard

Outclassed in every way.

Reaction Score
Nova shredded our defense, inside and out. On offense, they turned us over, contested our shots, and slowed us to a crawl.

Wright got Whaley and Sanogo in early foul trouble by going at them (and we helped with stupid fouls away from the basket). Hurley had no answers.

It was a clinic. As the announcers said, they ran us out of the gym. I'm sure there will be some upside posts about Hawkins or some such nonsense. But there was no upside to this game. They sagged on Sanogo like everyone will and no Husky stepped up. Back to the drawing board. It could get late early if there isn't some serious soul searching after this beat down.

Reaction Score
The Andre Jackson ugly floater thing needs to vanish. Hawkins needs more shots. Nova is s a very well coached team. We seemed to have more athleticism and possibly more talent, but Nova is simply a much better team. We should have pressed all out once Gillespie went out. They were a little rattled and a few more possessions may have let us go on a run.

Reaction Score
I really think not having a leader (whether appointed or anointed) is killing us. We're confused, disorganized and playing without direction. No one motivating others, no one taking charge of the team, no one angry at poor play, etc...

Last year Hurley did not have a Captain, and it appears this season still no Captain. Is that how Hurley coaches?

Anyway, I thought it would be Whaley or Cole, but I don't see it.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I really think not having a leader (whether appointed or anointed) is killing us. We're confused, disorganized and playing without direction. No one motivating others, no one taking charge of the team, no one angry at poor play, etc...

Last year Hurley did not have a Captain, and it appears this season still no Captain. Is that how Hurley coaches?

When things are going well, Martin and Cole are vocal and positive leaders. When they aren’t, they arent

Reaction Score
I know this statement has a lot of emotion and anger in it but today was the first time I thought Hurley might not be the guy that can make the team grow over a season and peak for a deep tourney run. Outcoached. Unprepared. Inexcusable.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I know this statement has a lot of emotion and anger in it but today was the first time I thought Hurley might not be the guy that can make the team grow over a season and peak for a deep tourney run. Outcoached. Unprepared. Inexcusable.
Kidding here ( I think) but is Dan distracted by the Bengals? Will we start winning again when the super bowl is over?

Reaction Score
Our coach is simply outclassed in every way by Wright. Wright is a thinking man with discipline. Hurley is an emotional reactionary. He needs to start looking in the mirror and understand intensity and motivation ebbs and flows. Discipline is about consistency in execution. That’s why Hurley’s teams don’t execute and lose composure.

Reaction Score
Nova is now what we used to be - the class of the Big East. And it isn't even close.
and yet Nova lost to Marquette twice this year. Other than G'Town any team is capable of beating anyone we just need to win some games against top half of BE.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
and yet Nova lost to Marquette twice this year. Other than G'Town any team is capable of beating anyone we just need to win some games against top half of BE.
MQ is a good team. They can play. I'm just saying that Nova now has consistency year in and year out. They play D, they are precise offensively, and they win big games. We don't do any of those things enough.

Reaction Score
MQ is a good team. They can play. I'm just saying that Nova now has consistency year in and year out. They play D, they are precise offensively, and they win big games. We don't do any of those things enough.
Yes Marquette is very good and we beat them on their court. The BE is tough and we've played terrible lately.

3 games in next 8 days staring with said Marquette on tuesday...if we're here next Sunday having lost 5 in a row then in full panic mode but not panicked yet.

Xavier in a dogfight at home right now with DePaul...crazy league.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Our coach is simply outclassed in every way by Wright. Wright is a thinking man with discipline. Hurley is an emotional reactionary. He needs to start looking in the mirror and understand intensity and motivation ebbs and flows. Discipline is about consistency in execution. That’s why Hurley’s teams don’t execute and lose composure.
Yep, exactly. He’s got plenty of room to grow, we’ve seen coaches take 6-8 years to really find their groove, so that may be the case here. Jay Wright is IMO the best coach in CBB, just everything is precise and disciplined, they rarely beat themselves. They make you earn everything. I didn’t think they would win, but thought it’d be a better game, a bit surprised by that. Hurley now 0-6 against Creighton and Nova in the new big East, not great.

Reaction Score

I don't think a captain will make a difference. I agree with your general sentiment though. At the heart of it - we don't have a single player you can count on when you need a bucket (like Bazz, Kemba, Hamilton, Allen, or even Jalen Adams). If our recruiting trend continues as it has been going, we will have a player that can CONSISTENTLY take over a game when needed. We are maybe 2 or 3 years away though.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
So, they're cheerleaders and not leaders.

unfortunately no one else on the roster is a leader either.
I think Gaffney has some leadership skills but unfortunately he’s awful. I bet Brendan Adams watches these games and laughs his ass off

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
So, they're cheerleaders and not leaders.

unfortunately no one else on the roster is a leader either.
Then you have to go back to it being Whaley. He led at the point in 2020 when things shifted, Bouknight played more, Vital didn't drive as wildly, there was an alternative for when Gilbert got lost in the trees, and Gaffney hit foul shots with composure.

Today, when he was questionably called for a foul, and then committed a unnecessary offensive foul within a minute, that's when the final attempt at a comeback started. But we were a tool short for a more game attempt at pulling off a miracle.

He needs to play like the smartest guy on the team who transmits the game plan focus (We do have a game plan, don't we coach?) to others, rather than cleaning up mistakes & sloppiness, which is his highest value in his best games.

There isn't another candidate. He really can make everybody else on the team better.

Again, "Cole can do anything, but he can't be asked to do everything," and it starts with Whaley leading.

If anybody challenges him, he can tell 'em he can cuz I said so.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Josh Pace for Syracuse used to hit floaters in the lane at a very good clip. It can be done. I keep waiting for one to in. He's due.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That one from 15 feet today was a terrible shot. Who hits floaters from that far away? Who even shoots floaters from that far away?!
But people want him playing PG while teams sag off of him and make him take these ugly shots. LOL! AJ is just needs to work on his midrange and handle in the offseason if he wants to get to the next level. I like the kid but his game leaves a lot to be desired on the offensive side of the ball. He also needs to get stronger. Gillespie totally punked him on that back down play.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
That one from 15 feet today was a terrible shot. Who hits floaters from that far away? Who even shoots floaters from that far away?!
I think it was the worst single shot Ive seen watching 100’s of college hoops games this season. That being said, as a UConn fan, it wasn’t a bad shot in the scheme of what we were doing to that point. I hope that makes sense? It’s a bad realization. Just like RJs half court heave was in the top 5 best shots we took first half.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I don't think a captain will make a difference. I agree with your general sentiment though. At the heart of it - we don't have a single player you can count on when you need a bucket (like Bazz, Kemba, Hamilton, Allen, or even Jalen Adams). If our recruiting trend continues as it has been going, we will have a player that can CONSISTENTLY take over a game when needed. We are maybe 2 or 3 years away though.
We had that player last season, but unfortunately he missed a bunch of games down the stretch due to injury and never got into the flow and opportunity to take over after returning..... need a supporting cast that has good IQ, ball handlers and shooters to go along with that type of player. I guess we can say in 2-3 years we may have that supporting cast in addition to that type of player.

Reaction Score
Totally outclassed except for the last 5-10 minutes- finally, during that time, we looked like the faster, better team

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom