Our underrated (best 14th WNBA pick ever ) UConn Husky Tiffany Hayes | The Boneyard

Our underrated (best 14th WNBA pick ever ) UConn Husky Tiffany Hayes

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nice article about our hard to figure star Tiffany Hayes

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Thank's for posting. I didn't know Kelly Schumacher was a WNBA coach.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tiffany wilted when she was a junior and Mya was the only go to player. In the semi final against ND, she scored 4 points, 2 on a layup with less than a minute in the game. It was Mya and the 4 dwarves. She did great when it was Mya, Tina, Renee, and Kalana. No pressure on her.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Tiffany wilted when she was a junior and Mya was the only go to player. In the semi final against ND, she scored 4 points, 2 on a layup with less than a minute in the game. It was Mya and the 4 dwarves. She did great when it was Mya, Tina, Renee, and Kalana. No pressure on her.

Not the point. This is a story of perseverance and maturing. By the way, not everyone is Mya (oops Maya) and Tiffany and her teammates are not dwarves (oops dwarfs)

Reaction Score
I always thought of Tiffany as sort of a "utility" players. You know, like in baseball where the player can handle just about any position. She was a good but not great ball handler, shooter, passer and re-bounder. She probably would have been the go-to or main player on many other teams.

Reaction Score
Hays numbers are actually better than I recall and her college career was a good one. Of course she benefited from being on a team with some superstars but her longevity in the league and her success show she probably always had it in her.

I recall a couple of less than impressive games and some of her decision making wasn't the best at times in college but it's tough to argue that she's made a good pro and was a little underrated relative to some of the players drafted ahead of her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not the point. This is a story of perseverance and maturing. By the way, not everyone is Mya (oops Maya) and Tiffany and her teammates are not dwarves (oops dwarfs)
Watch out people will scold you for correcting the spelling of names in public rather than privately

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Tiff really blossomed the year Angel was out. Sort of like how Bonner did the year Dee was out. However, Tiff has proven she's a terrific player with, or without, stars surrounding her.

By the way, the ONLY year she averaged in single digit scoring during her continuing 8 year pro career was her rookie season when she averaged "only" 8.6 PPG. Her career 3 point % is 33%, and I don't think I've ever seen a player shoot the 3 with a higher rainbow arc than her!

13.6 PPG over her career. Definitely deserving a starting spot on almost any team in the W. I think part of the reason she dropped all the way to #14 is that she had a tendency to struggle in big games when the spotlight was on her, as was pointed out in this thread. Regardless, she's shown she can bring it against ANYONE with a terrific career so far in the W. I wish she was on a team that could actually win a title.

Reaction Score
Tiff was fearless and played her heart out. Sure à few big games were not her best, but not from a lack of effort or timidity. In my mind, quite underrated by UConn fans, and apparently the pro scouts. There is evidence that pro scouts in the men's game overvalued Ncaa tournament performances.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Tiffany was a really, really good player at UConn. Her personality is shy--she hated dealing with the media at UConn--and she seems to feel more comfortable as Robin to the Batman of Maya and Tina (and Angel). Tiff's only real negative was that she did not perform especially well in many key games, perhaps because she was over-amped. If not for that, Tiffany would have been an All-American and top-8 pick.

I recall Geno saying that Tiff, "when she plays to her potential, can be the best player on the floor." He said that after a game when the incomparable Maya Moore was one of the other players on the floor. Tiff still holds the UConn record for most points in a half--30. From the linked article, Tiffany "became the fastest player to win 100 games in NCAA basketball history, winning her 100th game in her 101st outing as a junior in 2011." Yeah, Tina and Maya really helped, but no one else has that record. Tiff was instrumental in big wins over Louisville and Cal early in her career. Tiffany Hayes is still a really, really good player.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
I had the TV on. Didn't know a thing about WBB or UConn. But I saw this girl knock down a 3, then a couple more, both well behind the arc. I was impressed. Haven't stopped watching since.

Reaction Score

It can be dwarfs or dwarves. Look it up before you make an ass of yourself.

Reaction Score
Tiffany was a really, really good player at UConn. Her personality is shy--she hated dealing with the media at UConn--and she seems to feel more comfortable as Robin to the Batman of Maya and Tina (and Angel). Tiff's only real negative was that she did not perform especially well in many key games, perhaps because she was over-amped. If not for that, Tiffany would have been an All-American and top-8 pick.

I recall Geno saying that Tiff, "when she plays to her potential, can be the best player on the floor." He said that after a game when the incomparable Maya Moore was one of the other players on the floor. Tiff still holds the UConn record for most points in a half--30. From the linked article, Tiffany "became the fastest player to win 100 games in NCAA basketball history, winning her 100th game in her 101st outing as a junior in 2011." Yeah, Tina and Maya really helped, but no one else has that record. Tiff was instrumental in big wins over Louisville and Cal early in her career. Tiffany Hayes is still a really, really good player.

She did absolutely nothing in the ND game when it counted most.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
I remember Tiffany fearlessly driving going right at Brittany Griner...and scoring...Very impressive...Apparently she was very used to Going up against bigger players By playing against her 6’11” brother and beating him as I recall...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It can be dwarfs or dwarves. Look it up before you make an ass of yourself.

Looked it up before. Generally only for Hobbits.

By the way, I prefer arse. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thank you for this post. Love Tiff. And yes she has been and still is overlooked. Her snub at All star just made me throw my hands in the air. She is better than a Jewel for example but never has had the pub. She is the type of player on the right team that can win games for you with her drives to the hoop.

Reaction Score
Looked it up before. Generally only for Hobbits.

By the way, I prefer arse. :rolleyes:
Then look it up before you make an arse of yourself. Too bad Hobbits don't exist, except on a movie screen.

Reaction Score
It is way past time that we stopped blaming Tiffany Hayes for the Notre Dame loss in 2011.
No one is going to dispute the fact that she did not play well. It happens. It has happened to every all time great. It has happened among the all time great UConn players.
1. No one except Maya played well offensively in that game.
2. Despite the one person offensive effort, UConn took a six point lead into the locker room at half time.
3. UConn scored just one point less in the second half than in the first. However, Notre Dame exploded for 46 points. Someone please explain how better play from Tiffany Hayes is going to make up a 15 point 2nd half scoring deficit?
4. Skylar Diggins scored 28 points in that game. A phenomenal effort that has to rank pretty high among individual performances by an opponent: Especially in a tournament game.. Where was the defense? It was not as if Skyler Diggins came out of nowhere; It is not as if she went Jackie Young on us.
5. Notre Dame outrebounded UConn 39-27.
6. Notre Dame shot 9 more free throws than UConn, a stat that should have been negated by the fact that UConn shot 7 more field goals, had 4 fewer turnovers and had 3 more steals.

UConn did not lose the NCAA Tournament semifinal game in 2011 against Notre Dame because Tiffany Hayes only scored 4 points. UConn, as a team, played well enough to win that game and did not shoot themselves in the foot. I would have to look at the game again to determine how Diggins was able to overcome UConn's vaunted defense; And how Notre Dame's offense became so prolific in the 2nd half. Let's not forget, too, that it was the 4th meeting of the season between those two teams. I recall submitting a post a few years back indicating that in women's basketball, beating a team four times in a season had never been done; Gotta recheck that. Lack of depth and the resultant fatigue may have also been a factor. the 2011 game was very reminiscent of the 2001 game in that Notre Dame had a tremendous 2nd half effort powered by a great player having a phenomenal game unconscious game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've learned a few things over the last 70+ years and one of them is that correcting someone's grammar, even with the best of intentions, rarely goes well. In the case of dwarfs v dwarves, I kind of thought (or would have thought if the thought had occurred) that they were interchangeable. A Google search convinced me otherwise.
From what I gather Dwarfs is one of the exceptions to the rule that words ending in F get pluralized using the W - hoof/hooves, calf/calves. This article - ‘Dwarves’ or ‘dwarfs’ – which spelling is correct? - lays the blame for dwarves entering into common usage on J.R.R. Tolkien, who admits that his error.

Says Tolkien in a letter, "No reviewer (that I have seen), although all have carefully used the correct dwarfs themselves, has commented on the fact (which I only became conscious of through reviews) that I use throughout the ‘incorrect’ plural dwarves. I am afraid it is just a piece of private bad grammar, rather shocking in a philologist; but I shall have to go on with it."

A word usage chart in the article shows that prior to the Hobbit books becoming popular the spelling "dwarves" was almost never seen. With the popularity of the Hobbit books in the 70s that spelling picked up and increased even more with the release of the movies. Languages change, although grammarians are often the last to get the message. At this stage of the game I would think that we can consider either spelling to be acceptable.

Not in astronomy however. One red dwarf, two red dwarfs.

Tiff Hayes cares not a whit for any of this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom