Our Texas guru: Coach Bill...any new news? | The Boneyard

Our Texas guru: Coach Bill...any new news?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
A few days back you offered up your wisdom on Lexi Gordon and a few other Lone Star
staters. It sounded like you were headed to The Boo and the big AAU event in Virginia last weekend.
If you have anything..anything at all...that we would undoubtedly overreact to...please pass it on.

Did you get to see any of the elite Texas kids....whether they have UConn interest or not?
Or Arkansas' Williams?

HGN

Reaction Score
Blake, CoCo.............I am a little more than interested too in any news. I am sort of in rehab now , going through withdrawals from March Madness. Been watching all the UConn games from the 2015--2016 season.
So anything you guys come up with please pass it along. The tidbit of news may help me. :):cool:

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Coco: I did not realize it stretched over 2 weekends. If some of our wiser heads [you know who you are]
get to see some of the streaming, post a few nuggets here.

Question: will Geno be well enough to be there? I hope our #1 takes it slow and steady in his recovery.
Wouldn't be surprised if CD/Shea and Marisa all graced the gyms down there.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Coco: I did not realize it stretched over 2 weekends. If some of our wiser heads [you know who you are]
get to see some of the streaming, post a few nuggets here.

Question: will Geno be well enough to be there? I hope our #1 takes it slow and steady in his recovery.
Wouldn't be surprised if CD/Shea and Marisa all graced the gyms down there.
Blake has our local AAU teams dried up, any news on who Mary B plays for?

It would be nice to see you again, man I miss the scrimmages at Gampel

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I am trying to find out if Olivia Owens [Albany area] AAU team might be coming to Hartford. If I hear anything I will let you know.
Don't know about Baskerville. If we do meet up I will pretend to listen to your wisdom.
I figure the scrimmages at Gampel are a thing of the past...except maybe for once a year UConn club members.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Found this schedule on another board. It's a tweet by Mike Flynn.
Cgl22sMWkAAVWJl.jpg

The games on Court 1 will be streamed on the link I provided above.

Reaction Score
My daughter's team which was pretty good barely beat the Sparks "C" team last year..........there's a lot of talent out there....maybe not UConn level but talent non the less............

Reaction Score
Here's the archived game between Boo Williams and NJ.

The Cube
Thanks for posting SluConn. Watched the first half but a little too ragged to watch much more. Outside of Patterson and Walker there wasn't a lot of skills out there. Probably difficult for them to really play with not much flow to the game and the clumsy ball handling. But those two definitely have a lot to work with.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting SluConn. Watched the first half but a little too ragged to watch much more. Outside of Patterson and Walker there wasn't a lot of skills out there. Probably difficult for them to really play with not much flow to the game and the clumsy ball handling. But those two definitely have a lot to work with.

The high Hoopgurlz ranking for Honesty Scott Grayson (2108 #8) is somewhat of a mystery to me...........I've seen her play many times and have yet to see an overwhelming performance..................now Walker, while not always consistent shows flashes of greatness

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
this is why we need to learn to appreciate the top dog players that don't miss a beat on the college level. High School isnt is the best gauge on what players may do on the next level, thats why I think "rankings" suck.

I give Geno tons of credit for getting these players to buy into what he offers.

another reason why I don't think "bigs" mean that much.

Stewie adjusted to playing the 5 (center) when she could easily be a 2 (shooting guard)... good coaching Geno. and Im not gonna even mention Gabby

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
this is why we need to learn to appreciate the top dog players that don't miss a beat on the college level. High School isnt is the best gauge on what players may do on the next level, thats why I think "rankings" suck.

I give Geno tons of credit for getting these players to buy into what he offers.

another reason why I don't think "bigs" mean that much.

Stewie adjusted to playing the 5 (center) when she could easily be a 2 (shooting guard)... good coaching Geno. and Im not gonna even mention Gabby
Agree - high school and AAU are so difficult to really evaluate - for different reasons. HS you have generally better coached teams that have played for years with each other, but the competition is incredibly spotty. And AAU which generally has really good competition is poorly coached in that the teams have so little practice time and are constantly changing teammates.

It is why attitude, passing skill (and willingness), and effort are as important to good coaches as the box scores - those aspects are easy to differentiate in any environment. And the raw skills - shooting form, speed and quickness, footwork are more important than points and rebounds.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
According to Coach Bill's twitter feed, three UConn coaches watched Cy Fair play Texas United. That's Lexi Gordon, Christyn Williams, and Charli Collier.
I assume that Geno is still home resting. I'm glad to see the interest in those 3. Let's get them all!

Reaction Score
Agree - high school and AAU are so difficult to really evaluate - for different reasons. HS you have generally better coached teams that have played for years with each other, but the competition is incredibly spotty. And AAU which generally has really good competition is poorly coached in that the teams have so little practice time and are constantly changing teammates.

It is why attitude, passing skill (and willingness), and effort are as important to good coaches as the box scores - those aspects are easy to differentiate in any environment. And the raw skills - shooting form, speed and quickness, footwork are more important than points and rebounds.
Like you, that's what I look for. I survived 4 years of my daughter's AAU games and they are tough to watch. When the slinging of cross court passes and the fumble scrums start I'd have to stop watching for awhile, I couldn't take it. The coaching as you say is kind of a joke and some of the parents are worse. But as I said, Patterson and Walker could be really good at the college level.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
According to Coach Bill's twitter feed, three UConn coaches watched Cy Fair play Texas United. That's Lexi Gordon, Christyn Williams, and Charli Collier.

Forgot that also includes Jade Williams if she's playing.

Reaction Score

Just got done watching Lexi Gordon and Christyn Williams against Miami Sun....if you are watching on Cube you will see a really nice coast to coast by Lexi ending in a pull up jumper at 24:05.....she hit a couple of threes, made a few nice passes and had an OK game overall..now Christyn Williams who I call a UConn lean is going to be a great player by the time she hits college...she dominated the game with her effortless dribble drives in the second half where all Miami could do to stop her was foul her......you can see two examples at 25:40 and 100.13....this young lady is only going into her junior year.............. she has the chance to be exceptional

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The high Hoopgurlz ranking for Honesty Scott Grayson (2108 #8) is somewhat of a mystery to me......I've seen her play many times and have yet to see an overwhelming performance...now Walker, while not always consistent shows flashes of greatness
Depending when you saw her play Honesty battled two knee injuries and missed significant parts of her HS play this season. Before the injuries she was one of the younger member of USA basketball team this summer. ProspectsNation has her at number 1 in the class.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
As long as we're talking AAU ball in the thread thought I'd pass along this nugget from the Deep South tourney going on at the moment:

Reaction Score
Depending when you saw her play Honesty battled two knee injuries and missed significant parts of her HS play this season. Before the injuries she was one of the younger member of USA basketball team this summer. ProspectsNation has her at number 1 in the class.

You are exactly right..............the first time I saw her was just a few weeks after her return from a knee injury so I didn't expect much from that appearance, saw her 3-4 more times during the Blair high school season and again yesterday via the Cube from Boo Williams..........always kind of the same thing...........a bit undisciplined as a ball handler, passer and shooter, probably didn't shoot over 40% from the field in any game that I saw..................there's talent there, just not top 10 talent as far as I'm concerned............AEH was a bit up and down too but there were a couple of games where her talent was clear to see

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
Helloo

just got home from a long 3 day run at Boo / EYBL
will look to post some thoughts tomm on UConn commits , targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors