Our starting center | The Boneyard

Our starting center

Reaction Score
Carlton through 6 games against non-cupcake teams- 9 points, 13 rebounds total.

Not sure what Hurley can do when his starting center can't do anything against anyone and his starting power forward also can't rebound or stay in front of his man? Go to the backup who can sometimes score and rebound adequately but has no concept of defense?

There simply are zero options.

Reaction Score
Even worse, our starting four has 8 rebounds over the last 6 games. That's 21 rebounds between the two. 2.6 rpg from our starting 4 & 5 combined without a true sf. Fortunately CV rebounds like a maniac, cause he has to. Not sure why we're surprised we lose.

Reaction Score
Yeah Carlton has been bad. Just might not be athletic enough.

Polley didn’t have it tonight.

Sid Wilson isn’t ready. His basketball IQ is way behind.

Our front court is a mess. Prolly gotta go Cobb.

Reaction Score
Let’s face it, Carlton is not that good. He could do well at a mid major in a lower tier conference. We just have to live with it until Hurley gets better players. Polley , same thing. Not a bad player to have on your bench, but these guys are not who you want to rely on at the level we expect to be at. Diarra might help, but he is not going to change the situation very much when he gets back.We need big tough guys with skills and we don’thave them yet.

Reaction Score
Carlton should be playing in the MAAC. He has absolutely ZERO lift. Like there are cement blocks tied to his ankles. Couple that with a very low basketball IQ and we are playing 4 v 5.

At what point do we tell Diarra that maybe his body isn't cut out for basketball anymore? It's so bad in the frontcourt I'm curious to see if Brocke would be any worse.

Reaction Score
Do we have any big bodies on the FB team that can raise their arms above their heads and catch a b-ball for a rebound? Almost anyone could have better stats than Carlton just by accident.

Reaction Score
Carlton should be playing in the MAAC. He has absolutely ZERO lift. Like there are cement blocks tied to his ankles. Couple that with a very low basketball IQ and we are playing 4 v 5.

At what point do we tell Diarra that maybe his body isn't cut out for basketball anymore? It's so bad in the frontcourt I'm curious to see if Brocke would be any worse.

I can't say how many of Carlton, Whaley, or Diarra will still be here next year, but if Hurley succeeds at what he intends to do on the recruiting trail, none of them will see significant minutes in 2020.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Do we have any big bodies on the FB team that can raise their arms above their heads and catch a b-ball for a rebound? Almost anyone could have better stats than Carlton just by accident.
Tommy Myers who graduated last year actually led the COUNTRY in rebounding at Coventry High. Granted, he’s 6’6” and had a football body and was playing against teams who may have had one gangly 6’3” kid but still.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have to share a story about Whaley.

A good friend of mine is an assistant at SLU, and he told me they thought they had Whaley as a done deal, and they were hoping to get some production out of him as a JUNIOR!

Well KO's eye for talent came in and offered late and the rest is history.

I talked to him after he signed with UConn, and all he could do was laugh and said UConn was trending towards oblivion.

Reaction Score
Sid Wilson isn’t ready. His basketball IQ is way behind.

Some of his decisions are just painful to watch. He looks so nervous and rushed when he gets the ball in his hands. I'm hoping that goes away as he gets more experience and comfort. That being said, there was one play yesterday where he set a pick for JA or AG and then somehow rolled to the basket with his back to the lane and to the ballhandler. I can't get that play out of my head because I cannot at all fathom what on earth he was thinking there.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
What center? We don't have one. Carlton may have the height but that's it. At 235 he is too thin to battle underneath. Too slow to react to situations.

Hurley is playing the hand he was dealt.

Reaction Score
Carlton is not fast but compared to Cobb he is Carl Lewis.

Reaction Score
Anyone who thought Brimah was unproductive just look at Carlton. Brimah at least stood in there and blocked and altered shots. He was on the receiving end of flushes when we had DHam for his offense. I’m very disappointed in his production because he looks substantial out there and has some footwork. OK he can’t jump but I didn’t see this.

Reaction Score
Tommy Myers who graduated last year actually led the COUNTRY in rebounding at Coventry High. Granted, he’s 6’6” and had a football and was playing against teams who may have had one gangly 6’3” kid but still.
He actually finished 2nd in the country, but always wanted him to walk on to the basketball team. Dude is tenacious. He was also a really, really good javelin thrower. Very athletic and wonderful family

Reaction Score
Carlton just seems disinterested. Looks like he is going half speed most of the time.. Out of position for rebounds often.
The talents there but if Hurley can't bring it out I don't know who can.

Reaction Score
I have to share a story about Whaley.

A good friend of mine is an assistant at SLU, and he told me they thought they had Whaley as a done deal, and they were hoping to get some production out of him as a JUNIOR!

Well KO's eye for talent came in and offered late and the rest is history.

I talked to him after he signed with UConn, and all he could do was laugh and said UConn was trending towards oblivion.

Speaking of SLU Carteare Gordon is transferring. He’d be great. But hear he’s going to Missouri.

Reaction Score
Even worse, our starting four has 8 rebounds over the last 6 games. That's 21 rebounds between the two. 2.6 rpg from our starting 4 & 5 combined without a true sf. Fortunately CV rebounds like a maniac, cause he has to. Not sure why we're surprised we lose.
Our frontcourt is better than no one's

Reaction Score
I can't say how many of Carlton, Whaley, or Diarra will still be here next year, but if Hurley succeeds at what he intends to do on the recruiting trail, none of them will see significant minutes in 2020.
I know we can't entirely punt the season and that isn't in the Hurley DNA. There isn't a draft. (I wonder when he actually knew how bad this front court would be?). But as I said in another thread, if Tom Moore went MIA from the bench for 1/2 our remaining games in order to pursue any remaining highly non committed top hundred kids but more likely top 10 grad transfers and lastly top 10 jucos I would be fine with that. Have to be ruthless in talent pursuit. Playing time galore up front.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cobb is the answer for today. I’d rather let him get comfortable and hope he can allow us better offensive flow. If he gives up more points so be it. Just give him a few games to acclimate and then re-evaluate. I’d like more of a chance to see if he is a net positive because I’m crystal clear Carlton is not.

Carlton needs another year in the weight room and a lot of eggs. I’m not giving up on him. He just needs strength and an attitude adjustment. No fire there.

Reaction Score
Carlton - we knew he was not really athletic and played below the rim. But with basketball smarts you can be that and still get around, he can't against athletic and stronger foes. He's not really strong and he's proven to be as slow as when he came in last year. He knows where the basket is but can't get shots off unless it's a 6'6 center from UMKC. Back up maybe?

Whaley - I held out hope but there's something missing besides even the fact he has no offensive game. He obviously is athletic and I think he has some smarts but there has been little to no impact in the small sampling he's been given.

Yakwe - our best guy when it comes to toughness, athleticism for sure but offensively not good. But if he's healthy this year I'm really good with him out there as long as he can stay out of foul trouble, which probably ends at about 15-18 minutes a game best.

Cobb - Hate to say even with his awful defense he's our best option at this point when Yakwe is not on the court. He can score the ball even though he missed a big bunny the other day, he can pass it too. He rebounds ok just because he is tough when going after a board but man he's dreadful on D. never in the right spot you just hope no one sees his guy wide open after he hedges too long or his guy misses a 4 footer.

Polley - Tyler had a rebound come his way the other night on the baseline his hands weren't even ready and it went OOB's off of him. This just can't happen especially to a guy who has hardly ever gotten a rebound while amongst opposing bigs in traffic. He shows flashes of offense though and I doubt he will miss that many open attempts again. Need him to play and improve but he really needs to man up and hit some people, make some plays.

Our front court is really not good at all I feel for Dan because of this. But somehow he needs to figure out enough between them and Jalen ending his drought so they can win some games especially vs. those who we should beat. Right now Tulane and ECU scare the crap out of me never mind that fact we will be 0-4.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom