Our size | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Our size

Reaction Score
A starting lineup IMO is a UNIT. like 5 cogs in a machine. IMO we're not talking about an all-star team, in which case you would start the 5 best players. IMO Nika has a unique skill set. Totally different from what we've seen of Azzi. Actually, I am hard-pressed to compare Nika to anyone I've seen. I'm thinking. More like a North-South type of running back.
Great teams need "Glue-guys".
Come on, enjoy this team! It's one of my favorite teams ever and I'm an old fart.
It’s hard for me to see Azzi not starting next year assuming she, like Paige, lives up to expectations. She is better than Nika in all respects save (possibly) defense and passing, she is the most heralded number one recruit (except possibly Paige) in years, purportedly a “generational talent”, and plays shooting guard to Paige’s point guard, and is , by all accounts, the greatest shooter in decades. While I too love Nika, I think the most likely scenario is Nika coming off the bench to back up Paige. Now, it is possible that Azzi may not be quite as ready as Paige was, in which case Nika may continue to start but I doubt it. Jmo

Reaction Score
If UConn goes far in this season's NCAA's and Nika plays well and then comes in next season and shows improvement in practice, I believe it would sink her confidence to a level so low she may not overcome it. Will the incoming non post players be so good that they will cause Nika to be a non-starter?
It’s difficult to see how being first off the bench and playing a critical role for what is likely to be one of the best teams in recent memory could shatter her confidence.

Reaction Score
The term “generational talent” is thrown around here way too easily. There is a big difference between today’s players and those even 10 or 15 years ago in that today’s players by and large have played basketball virtually year round and continuously for years with private coaching thrown in by the time they get to college. They have played against “the best” with the advent of national AAU schedules. So by and large the room for improvement is much less than it once was for most players. Bueckers is off to a tremendous start to her college career, but generational, not yet by a long shot. She may turn out to be but she has to earn it on the court; not by decree by talking heads, posters on a message board or social media. What you see now may be what you get and that is phenomenal play at an All-American level, but generational? That remains to be seen.
As for Fudd, she has not played a college game yet and is coming off major surgery, as far as I know she has played somewhat sparingly for almost two years. How about letting her get here, practice and play before declaring her anything more than a very exciting, big time recruit? Because right now, that is exactly what she is.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It’s difficult to see how being first off the bench and playing a critical role for what is likely to be one of the best teams in recent memory could shatter her confidence.
How would you feel if you started on a team that went to the FF, came back the next year improved, and practiced as well as anyone else and still lost your position? That would not do anything negative to your confidence?

Reaction Score
The term “generational talent” is thrown around here way too easily. There is a big difference between today’s players and those even 10 or 15 years ago in that today’s players by and large have played basketball virtually year round and continuously for years with private coaching thrown in by the time they get to college. They have played against “the best” with the advent of national AAU schedules. So by and large the room for improvement is much less that it once was for most players. Bueckers is off to a tremendous start to her college career, but generational, not yet by a long shot. She may turn out to be but she has to earn it on the court; not by decree by talking heads, posters on a message board or social media. What you see now may be what you get and that is phenomenal play at an All-American level, but generational? That remains to be seen.
As for Fudd, she has not played a college game yet and is coming off major surgery, as far as I know she has played somewhat sparingly for almost two years. How about letting her get here, practice and play before declaring her anything more than a very exciting, big time recruit? Because right now, that is exactly what she is.
Wait, you didn’t know that here in the BY generations last 1-2 years? There’s generational talents spread all through WCBB now. ?

Reaction Score
I think Azzi's recovery is still in motion coupled with the need to sharpen the defensive skills for UConn will cause Azzi to be freshman and 6th man of the year next year. There are plenty of Mt. Rushmore type players that didn't start as freshman because their teams were that good and they were just fine.

I think the starters will be Nika, Paige, Chrystin, Aaliyah, and Liv. Azzi gets 22-24 min a game, same as Nika. It's just Nika starts and sets the defensive tone so they build a lead in the 1st quarter.

Reaction Score
It’s hard for me to see Azzi not starting next year assuming she, like Paige, lives up to expectations. She is better than Nika in all respects save (possibly) defense and passing, she is the most heralded number one recruit (except possibly Paige) in years, purportedly a “generational talent”, and plays shooting guard to Paige’s point guard, and is , by all accounts, the greatest shooter in decades. While I too love Nika, I think the most likely scenario is Nika coming off the bench to back up Paige. Now, it is possible that Azzi may not be quite as ready as Paige was, in which case Nika may continue to start but I doubt it. Jmo
What about Azzi at the 3. We could have 2 bigs. Paige and Nika. That would be my first inclination. I love the dynamics with Paige and Nika. Nika provides on-ball pressure, she does an outstanding job pushing the ball, she hits the floor, she rebounds, she gets in passing lanes. How about Azzi, especially next year, as a KLS or KML like shooter.

Reaction Score
TENN has 7 players 6-2 on their roster. Oregon has 8. Those are good teams but hardly unbeatable because of their size. Oregon has a ton of tall young players. That may very well be impactful down the road but not this year. Stanford has 4 players that size or bigger. But it isn't their size that makes them good it's their mobility and shooting range. IMO they are the most dangerous team matchup wise.
I remember not long ago maybe 5 yrs ago.... when Tennesssee led the country in McDonalds All Americans.... and it did not mean anything.... goes to show that in WCBB you MUST have a good head coach, and then a good ball handler and distribution PG.... Height yes you have to have a competitive front... but not the most important thing

Reaction Score
How would you feel if you started on a team that went to the FF, came back the next year improved, and practiced as well as anyone else and still lost your position? That would not do anything negative to your confidence?
It certainly wouldn’t sink my confidence so low I might never recover.

Reaction Score
What about Azzi at the 3. We could have 2 bigs. Paige and Nika. That would be my first inclination. I love the dynamics with Paige and Nika. Nika provides on-ball pressure, she does an outstanding job pushing the ball, she hits the floor, she rebounds, she gets in passing lanes. How about Azzi, especially next year, as a KLS or KML like shooter.
Personally I like this combo the best, but of course no matter who you pick, much of the boneyard will say their choice can't possibly be delegated to the bench. One reason I think Azzi "might" come off the bench is the debate between Nika, Christyn and Azzi (Evina too if she returns) becomes mute in the second year. Geno can pretty much reassure Azzi that after being a super-sub and learning the ropes for a year, she could start with Paige and Nika the next year when Christyn and Evina are gone and the starter debate isn't as much of an issue.

Reaction Score
There were reasons why Geno moved Paige to the 2 and brought Nika in as the point. To adapt Geno's quote preseason about Nika's comment to him "getting an assist makes two people happy whereas getting a basket just makes one person happy", I would suggest his move to insert Nika allowed Paige to play to her strengths, added Nika's strengths and added a cohesion to the flow on both offense and defense. Nika being on the floor has not diminished Paige's game and her addition to the starting lineup has been a catalyst for a continuing up curve at both ends of the floor. On offense other players have stepped up and carried the team at times, so it doesn't have to all fall on Paige's shoulders game in and game out, and the team defense has been exceptional. Nika isn't the only reason for all of this but I would argue she is a critical piece of why there is better flow and movement on offense and stifling pressure and clocklike switching on defense. Geno anticipated her importance and role she could play for this particular team, she has played into that vision and the team as a whole is better with her on the floor. IMO, when she is out for extended periods the rhythm and flow on both ends is noticeably less cohesive.

I think Aailyah incredibly impacts the game when she comes in as well. Whether she is starting or subbing in, when she is on the floor both the offense and defense can and does adapt to a different, equally effective, style of play. Having that ability makes us a much more difficult opponent, this squad is not an one trick pony. Unlike Nika's presence on the floor, which as I stated, is critical to the cohesive flow on both ends, Aailyah's allows us to exploit her and her teammates strengths and force opponents to shift how they have to play us.

I would expect to see the same starting five at the beginning of next season as we have seen for the last half of this season, with the possible exception of Evina if she decides to move on to the WNBA. If she does the fifth starter may be Anna, Aailyah or Azzi I would guess and may vary depending on the opponent. I think along with those three Aubrey will remain a critical game changer to come in and impact games all season.

I think, despite Paige's desire to be on the floor all forty minutes she will play closer to thirty a game next year as will the other starters. Azzi will get plenty of minutes and I believe she will benefit and be accepting of not be forced to push her body as much as Paige has this season. Azzi knows she is not infalliable, she has had a devastating injury and fought back and is in it for the long game.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Do you doubt for a moment that players don't know who the best players are, on their team as well as on other teams? If all things are equal in talent and team play Nika should start next year, if Azzi is better in the team concept she should start. If they are team first players they will adjust to what Geno decides. If they are not team first then they are not in the right program, that said I know that almost every WCBB player wants to start, the reality is that there are more nonstarters than starters, life in sports as in life in general.

Reaction Score
AE changes the equation quite a bit. It means 10 fouls in the post while having quality play in case we play a big team like SC. Didnt have that in recent years.

Exactly. For the last 2 years anyway UConn has played softer defense due to a lack of depth. This year I've seen the guards play much more aggressive defense. Part of that is that Bueckers and Müle are by nature aggressive. But Edwards/Griffin can not only rebound but can defend the paint and the perimeter. The guards know they have players behind them who can cover for them so more chances can be taken to steal or play the passing lanes.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Do you doubt for a moment that players don't know who the best players are, on their team as well as on other teams? If all things are equal in talent and team play Nika should start next year, if Azzi is better in the team concept she should start. If they are team first players they will adjust to what Geno decides. If they are not team first then they are not in the right program, that said I know that almost every WCBB player wants to start, the reality is that there are more nonstarters than starters, life in sports as in life in general.
Nika may well adjust but that does not mean it will not hurt her confidence. Players do have feelings. However, if Nika has to come off the bench I believe she will adjust just as Anna did.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom