Our size | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Our size

Reaction Score
Fudd replaces EW.....Nika starts...Cw starts..Liv starts...Paige probably starts too.
Regardless who starts in 2021-22, would love to watch competitions for PT during practices.

UConn might have most balanced scoring since 2001-02 champions. 5 starters averaged 22 to 30 mpg. 4 reserves averaged 13 to 18 mpg.

14.9 Cash.
14.5 Taurasi.
14.4 Bird.
14.0 Jones.
10.1 Williams.

Cumulative Statistics (PDF) - University of Connecticut Athletics

But for now, I hope this present UConn team plays their best basketball of season for 6 more games.

Reaction Score
What team looks so much bigger and stronger to you?

You make a post about size, yet completely disregard that UCONN has a 6-5 center (who is also an upperclassman) with great length and is one of the best shot blockers in the country.

You've also faced two of the biggest teams in the country in Tennessee and South Carolina and were able to escape with wins despite getting limited production from post players.

Your back court is also tall with every contributor being 5'10 or taller. I dont see UCONN as being a small team at all.
Good point regarding the height and reach of our current guards. Loved Dangerfield, but Geno would never have been able to utilize today's switching defense double teams at the post with last year's team. Teams the past few years pick and rolled us to death, trying to isolate a big on Crystal.

Reaction Score
--- something you've been posting about/urging for years, if memory holds.
Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
indeed.........it will be nice to not be "outsized" but to be the "outsizers" for a change..........of course having bigs that can really play is even nicer....... :)

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
We can all make cases for various starting lineups, and look at certain players and say they have to start next year, but in my opinion there are only two completely certain starters next year, Paige and Liv. First if everybody comes back, with Amari coming onboard as a backup C, I think Aaliyah can settle in as the starting PF, no more need for small/ball.

That means one of the existing starters is forced to the bench. Presumably the choice is between Evina, Nika and Christyn. Not an easy choice. If Evina leaves that difficult choice is avoided, at least until you start to consider the addition of Azzi.

So if Aaliyah starts and if you presume the nation's number 1 recruit has to start somewhere, then you are back to those previously mentioned three being vulnerable, or just Nika and Christyn, if Evina leaves.

I think Aaliyah and Azzi both have a decent chance at starting, and I suspect Evina will depart for the WNBA. With those assumptions Nika or Christyn has to sit. Now I would consider Christyn the overall better player than Nika, but it is not that simple. In many ways Nika compliments Paige's game better than Christyn. We also have multiple great options at SG, Christyn's best position by far.

On next year's team if you just asked the question who could best play the SG position, Christyn might be third on that list. That seems ridiculous, but if you consider Paige as a SG she is clearly better, and next year Azzi could be better as well. No knock on Christyn but the last two high school players of the year might be better than her at that position.

So it might come down to chemistry with the other starters, how these players do at their second best position, how they could compliment the second unit etc. Regardless even if Evina leaves, there is a pretty good chance that one of the current starters joins Anna on the bench as a former starter. If Aaliyah starts, Evina leaves, and Geno doesn't want to change the other starters, he could have Azzi be a super-sub off the bench, presumably inheriting Christyn's starting position the next year.

Regardless somebody that much of the Boneyard feels has to start, won't. That's just the reality of the numbers game.
I don't believe for a minute that CW will not be a starter. No way no how, unless she leaves or is injured. She is as sure a lock as Paige and Liv. Just saying not Geno's style to demote a productive senior, she may not see as many minutes but I would bet your farm that she starts day one.

Reaction Score
Good point regarding the height and reach of our current guards. Loved Dangerfield, but Geno would never have been able to utilize today's switching defense double teams at the post with last year's team. Teams the past few years pick and rolled us to death, trying to isolate a big on Crystal.

Exactly my point. The relative height of our starters, and their quickness and athleticism of our players allows for the aggressive switching defense our team employs. These factors don't guarantee the result - an extremely high level of communication and coordination is needed - but it is a necessary precondition.

Reaction Score
What is always left out is postition consistency. Every player has their good and subpar games. The better teams do not rely on continual production from on either their posts of perimeter players. One group often has to compensate for the other. UConn definitely has improved both inside and out from the past few years. How much is tha question though. They certainly were not overwhelmed by either Tenn or South Carolina in the paint. Still they were just two games. Both those teams have not really shown consistency game to game. Tenn in respect to their consistency of play game by game and South Carolina in that Bosten is not dominating the paint like she appeared to last season.

This season will all depent on match ups and timing. Match ups in respect to not being over matched at either the inside or outside. Timing in how well teams perform on any given day compared to the other teams effort on any given day. There are a number of team that have a shot at winning it all but those odds vary from team to team based on matchups and depth at postitions.

A problem this season is that since their were so few "out of conference" relative conference strengths are pure guess work. So we do not really know the actual strength of each conference. So how well players did against other playerss in their own conference will be a mystery untll the NCAA's. In UConns case no team in their conference really had a snowballs chance in hell of beating them unless a lot fo factors in respect to matchups and timing came together. They were just that much better than their conference. Of course we could put Baylor in that same catagory. I actually think they have far more questions to answer than UConn does. They are very fortunate their game with UConn was cancelled because UConn would have beaten them badly. Had that game happened at that time.

Reaction Score
2021-22 Starters
Bueckers - 1
Fudd - 2/3
Williams - 2/3
Edwards - 4
ONO - 5

Major minutes
Muhl -1
Makurat -2/3
Griffin - 4

Must find minutes for / could displace "major minutes" above
Ducharme - 2/3
Poffenbarger - 2/3
DeBerry - 4/5

Reaction Score
2021-22 Starters
Bueckers - 1
Fudd - 2/3
Williams - 2/3
Edwards - 4
ONO - 5

Major minutes
Muhl -1
Makurat -2/3
Griffin - 4

Must find minutes for / could displace "major minutes" above
Ducharme - 2/3
Poffenbarger - 2/3
DeBerry - 4/5
So Nika who is starting now and will make a sophmore leap isn't going to start next season? Why?

Reaction Score
AE changes the equation quite a bit. It means 10 fouls in the post while having quality play in case we play a big team like SC. Didnt have that in recent years.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how this all washes out. Nika is currently the starting point guard. She is also a very tough defender and Christyn has become a much better on ball defender as well. Geno values defense. Not sure Paige or Azzi will be able to provide what Nika and Christyn brings to the floor defensively (Paige will if she decides that's what she wants to do). My opinion, for what it's worth, is that Nika and Christyn will start to set the tone defensively. Azzi will come in to provide offensive firepower and floor spacing to open things up for the front court players.
They all will get minutes, that's for sure.

Reaction Score
So Nika who is starting now and will make a sophmore leap isn't going to start next season?
Azzi is better! Do you not believe Geno should start his best players?

Reaction Score
A starting lineup IMO is a UNIT. like 5 cogs in a machine. IMO we're not talking about an all-star team, in which case you would start the 5 best players. IMO Nika has a unique skill set. Totally different from what we've seen of Azzi. Actually, I am hard-pressed to compare Nika to anyone I've seen. I'm thinking. More like a North-South type of running back.
Great teams need "Glue-guys".
Come on, enjoy this team! It's one of my favorite teams ever and I'm an old fart.

Reaction Score
I don't believe for a minute that CW will not be a starter. No way no how, unless she leaves or is injured. She is as sure a lock as Paige and Liv. Just saying not Geno's style to demote a productive senior, she may not see as many minutes but I would bet your farm that she starts day one.
He did in 2000 when he sat Sauer and Hansmeyer because he needed to play Jones, Cash, Williams and Schumacher more that year.

Reaction Score
Not hardly, he should start his best team. Frankly, Uconn became a legitimate NC contender when Muhl became healthy and started getting major minutes. Offense makes box scores interesting but defense wins championships. The difference Muhl has made to this team is profound. I have never seen Fudd play and I never say never but IMO she starts next year if Westbrook leaves or someone gets hurt.

Reaction Score
I believe I mentioned it last year...the fact that other top teams look so big and strong compared to us. Yes, we now have at least reduced that issue 50% with AE and NM adding size and grit to our team.....they are still freshmen and I love them....but from my tv observations, there are some teams that are are huge and talented as well, with more upper-class women. Our kids really haven't faced that kind of size and experience this year.
Ours is an incredible group.....CW and EW among them...Paige's size doesn't seem to matter, she overcomes everything! I am certain that our wonderful 4 coaches are preparing for this issue, usually by having male players play against the girls. AE is already a monster, Nika is another Rizzotti and CW is a lot tougher and stronger than a lot of people believe.
Our team is so young and unusual that it is difficult to predict anything.....but the youth is definitely a factor. You know that the Master of coaching recognizes this and probably the the toughness will be catching. Nika is something else....it will stem from the coaches to Nika to the team. Wouldn't it be great to see UConn push their way to final 4 and, let's hold our breath, the NC. This geezer is up and ready for the tv challenge....I know my fellow BYers are with me. What an exciting week of anticipation!
Who the heck is South Carolina then? They're big and experienced, or don't they count?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I would say to all on this thread, not just Cuango, a little trip back in time to the 2000-01 season would be wise to see a certain Diana Taurasi, the best recruit to ever come to UConn (up to that time) did not start until an injury occurred to Svetlana.

It amazes me that for such an astute group of loyal, knowledgeable and history minded fans, always underestimate Geno's loyalty factor to upperclassman and returning starters.

If Evina does return, she starts. If E does go pro, my guess is Geno will determine which lineup makes the most sense for offensive flow with Azzi or Aaliyah. Nika on her intensity and defense will start at the beginning of the year. Azzi could be just like Diana as instant offense off the bench and be viewed as the "go to" scorer same as DT was that season.

As is said so many times, it's not who starts but who finishes. Azzi, Aaliyah, Abrey and Anna is a pretty impressive "A" list of subs...

Reaction Score
So Nika who is starting now and will make a sophmore leap isn't going to start next season? Why?
This is why next year is so difficult. If you assume Aaliyah moves into the starting lineup, and Evina leaves, you still have a very tough decision. Obviously Paige starts so it comes down to Nika, Christyn, and Azzi. Two of those three start and one doesn't.

Your point is well taken with Nika, if you start this year and improve next year how can you lose your starting position? By the same token how could Christyn a three year starter be in jeopardy, or how could Azzi the number 1 recruit in the country and considered a generational talent not start. The point is when you graduate nobody and bring in several very talented players someone has to sit that is very talented. If Evina came back she probably would be vulnerable too! Not just from the extra wing/guard competition (Azzi), but also from Aailyah if we start a true PF instead of another wing.

It also applies to the rarely used players. It is quite conceivable that Mir and Piath could come in much improved next year and get less, not more playing time next year. If Evina returns is it likely that Mir or Piath can overtake one of the 8 in the current rotation? Not likely. Then you add the number one player in her class and the top rated big to the mix. Azzi and Amari added to the existing rotation gets us to 10, which is already more players than Geno usually uses.

Mir and Piath, 9th and 10th this year, could easily be 11th and 12th next year. Even that assumes that Carolyn and Saylor don't pass either of them. Now I think Evina likely leaves and that moves these players up one notch, but the numbers crunch is a reality. One of this year's starters may not start next year even if they show great improvement.
Some bench players that are rarely used this year could improve and get even less time next year. It is what it is.

Reaction Score
This is why next year is so difficult. If you assume Aaliyah moves into the starting lineup, and Evina leaves, you still have a very tough decision. Obviously Paige starts so it comes down to Nika, Christyn, and Azzi. Two of those three start and one doesn't.

Your point is well taken with Nika, if you start this year and improve next year how can you lose your starting position? By the same token how could Christyn a three year starter be in jeopardy, or how could Azzi the number 1 recruit in the country and considered a generational talent not start. The point is when you graduate nobody and bring in several very talented players someone has to sit that is very talented. If Evina came back she probably would be vulnerable too! Not just from the extra wing/guard competition (Azzi), but also from Aailyah if we start a true PF instead of another wing.

It also applies to the rarely used players. It is quite conceivable that Mir and Piath could come in much improved next year and get less, not more playing time next year. If Evina returns is it likely that Mir or Piath can overtake one of the 8 in the current rotation? Not likely. Then you add the number one player in her class and the top rated big to the mix. Azzi and Amari added to the existing rotation gets us to 10, which is already more players than Geno usually uses.

Mir and Piath, 9th and 10th this year, could easily be 11th and 12th next year. Even that assumes that Carolyn and Saylor don't pass either of them. Now I think Evina likely leaves and that moves these players up one notch, but the numbers crunch is a reality. One of this year's starters may not start next year even if they show great improvement.
Some bench players that are rarely used this year could improve and get even less time next year. It is what it is.
My thought is move Azzi into EW spot .....done..AE is terrific off the bench....I know it makes too much sense so won't happen but AE can start her last 2 years...and still get 28 minutes next year..

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
He did in 2000 when he sat Sauer and Hansmeyer because he needed to play Jones, Cash, Williams and Schumacher more that year.
I don't remember them being on the same level that CW is at this time. I have been wrong before, just don't see it in this case. We will see, until then we have a tourney to enjoy.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
If UConn goes far in this season's NCAA's and Nika plays well and then comes in next season and shows improvement in practice, I believe it would sink her confidence to a level so low she may not overcome it. Will the incoming non post players be so good that they will cause Nika to be a non-starter?

Reaction Score
I don't remember them being on the same level that CW is at this time. I have been wrong before, just don't see it in this case. We will see, until then we have a tourney to enjoy.
They won a National Championship in their Sophmore Year and the Jr. had 9 blocks in the NC game.

Reaction Score
Fudd replaces EW.....Nika starts...Cw starts..Liv starts...Paige probably starts too.
Geno is very loyal to seniors who can play, so I envision that EW will still start, but get subbed out for after a few minutes, like CD2 was in her 5th year. EW is a really good glue player and Geno would want that leadership to start the game, but if is the next coming of MM, who by the way did not initially start her freshman year, then she may start out the gate. Either way, what a team we will have on paper next year. A true embarrassment of riches!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom