Our senior leaders -Brimah, Facey, Purvis | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Our senior leaders -Brimah, Facey, Purvis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah, the idea that Purvis is "chaff" brought by the sanctions is revisionist history of the highest order, and @Tenspro2002 should feel bad for suggesting it - any McD AA whom Calhoun thought it was worth going after while coaching is not "chaff".

His development over the next 4 years has nothing to do with whether or not he was a UConn-level recruit.

There's a difference between recruiting Purvis as a top 20 guy and bringing him on as a transfer after a fairly mediocre year in which that top 20 ranking already looked silly.

That said, I fully acknowledge that there is a gulf in talent between him and the Facey/Brimah class. Maybe it's not totally fair to lump him in with those 2. But the fact is, the current senior class -- all 3 of them -- has underachieved for 3 years. While I want nothing but the best for them, they're great kids and ambassadors of this program, we'll be better off looking to the future rather than praying they become something they're not over these next 30+ games.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
To get just a touch of balance, let's give it a few games to see if after the team settles down and Jalen and Alterique keep becoming a tighter PG duo, maybe we'll see some better consistency (and fewer turnovers, especially the unforced or dumb kind), at least somewhat better shooting, improved 3 point defense, and better ball movement. That manner of improvement would have caused last night's game to be a W instead of a huge L.

I know it looks like the weaknesses of last year are all still there, only with less rebounding. But, the freshman do look good overall and "Al" as KO called him is the gem we hoped for. I'm not sure if he's a KEA, maybe a better prepared Kemba, but I hope he has some KEA in the basketball IQ area where Khalid was so good. Juwan just needs to keep working out and getting stronger. I do hope that Diarra can come in and kick some ass (or at least compete physically).

C

chiller99.5

Purvis seems to be very streaky in his outside game and maybe needs to be railed in using the Calhoun Pavlovs dog of being benched when he gets loses his concentration. I was hoping Enoch would earn more playing time after his Olympic experience

Reaction Score
First off anything you get out of Facey is a bonus. He has been at most a minor role player for 3 years. Expecting any more is wishful thinking. Brims his a7 footer.

Reaction Score
Yeah, the idea that Purvis is "chaff" brought by the sanctions is revisionist history of the highest order, and @Tenspro2002 should feel bad for suggesting it - any McD AA whom Calhoun thought it was worth going after while coaching is not "chaff".

His development over the next 4 years has nothing to do with whether or not he was a UConn-level recruit.

Even a guy like Facey was 100% a UConn recruit. The fact that he hasn't developed sucks, but it still doesn't quite fit the narrative tens is looking for.

Reaction Score
These 3 should be provided with a set of surgical tweezers to extract pine splinters from their butts.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
These 3 should be provided with a set of surgical tweezers to extract pine splinters from their butts.

Great level-headed, sober reaction.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I have to blame coaching on our players development. I said it before. After all of JC's players departed, what have we done and who have we develped to be a dominate player? Nobody over the last few years since Ollie has taken over! I love Ollie though! Believe that he is a great leader/mentor but he is stilll very raw in the coaching game. He has to probably get rid of some of his friends on the coaching bench.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I have to blame coaching on our players development. I said it before. After all of JC's players departed, what have we done and who have we develped to be a dominate player? Nobody over the last few years since Ollie has taken over! I love Ollie though! Believe that he is a great leader/mentor but he is stilll very raw in the coaching game. He has to probably get rid of some of his friends on the coaching bench.

Kevin Ollie and most of the staff were Shabazz's coaches whether it would be head or assistant. Boat too, Giffey too, Deandre should I go on. The facts remain we are talking about intelligent and skilled basketball people who were good students. Let's not begin to compare a Brimah to these kids and lay this on any one of the coaches, please it is just stupid! Maybe it's the late start in the game or whatever but the reason he hasn't improved is he's not teachable, he has zero natural instincts to the game and isn't a very smart basketball player, at all! Kentan is similar and it very well could be they both started late, but so did Emeka and Thabeet would you like to make those comparisons? Jalen has had 1 year and 1 game, don't think we can go there now can we.

Reaction Score
There is a huge difference between being an assistant and being the head coach. There just is. Ollie was a position coach who helped the guards. That's not comparable to being in charge of the whole thing.

Reaction Score
We're ruining Enoch's development by playing Brimah 25+ minutes.
Enoch stinks. He's had plenty of opportunity , even got minutes in the NCAAT as a freshman. None of these bigs are better than each other, they all aren't good. That's on the staff too though, so either way they're at fault.

Reaction Score
Enoch stinks. He's had plenty of opportunity , even got minutes in the NCAAT as a freshman. None of these bigs are better than each other, they all aren't good. That's on the staff too though, so either way they're at fault.
A few minutes is not enough for Enoch. You could be right, maybe he stinks but until he plays 20-25 minutes for a few games I'm not there yet.

Reaction Score
A few minutes is not enough for Enoch. You could be right, maybe he stinks but until he plays 20-25 minutes for a few games I'm not there yet.
20 minutes of enoch would be destructive, did you miss the air balling hooks and not even protecting the rim on defense or rebounding? he plays like hes wearing ankle weights. idk what the hell is happening, looks less mobile than last year.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I would bet Enoch produces more with 20-25 minutes than Brimah does. Give him a few games for a learning curve (which should have happened last year...) and he'll make strides.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
I would bet Enoch produces more with 20-25 minutes than Brimah does. Give him a few games for a learning curve (which should have happened last year...) and he'll make strides.
Agreeing with CTBasketball. It's time to develop the young talent, and keep the soft seniors just doing what they do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom