Our senior leaders -Brimah, Facey, Purvis | The Boneyard

Our senior leaders -Brimah, Facey, Purvis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Combined for 9 points in 66 minutes. Against Wagner. That's straight up offensive to the UConn uniform they wear, and I won't even go into all the turnovers and stupid fouls. I understand they are all nice guys, but after 4 years we know who they are, and they are not good at basketball. Not this level at least. I wouldn't start any of these guys another game unless there's an injury. We'll all be better off in the long run giving our top 5 ranked recruiting class a chance to grow, and the only guys with any fire last night were the new guys.

Reaction Score
Combined for 9 points in 66 minutes. Against Wagner. That's straight up offensive to the UConn uniform they wear, and I won't even go into all the turnovers and stupid fouls. I understand they are all nice guys, but after 4 years we know who they are, and they are not good at basketball. Not this level at least. I wouldn't start any of these guys another game unless there's an injury. We'll all be better off in the long run giving our top 5 ranked recruiting class a chance to grow, and the only guys with any fire last night were the new guys.

Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more. Their talent shortfalls have been analyzed as nausea over night and over multiple years. At least show a little pride and maybe look like you give a crap. If not, let's get some guys in that do and are the future of our team. They should all be disgusted w themselves and the coaches have to send a message that this will not stand.

Reaction Score
Their talent shortfalls have been analyzed as nausea over night and over multiple years.

I know that this is likely because you don't know how to spell "Ad Nauseam"( Google ), but 'as nausea' is a pretty sick unintentional, perfect burn.

"As Nausea", indeed, sir

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Our Sr leaders sucked and deserve to come off the bench next game. Make sure the understand nothing is given. Everybody earns their time.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Brimah needs to play regardless of his offense, if he's not there defensively it's a clear path to the hoop. The starters should be Adams Gilbert Vance/vital larrier and brimah. If you want larrier at the three or another ball handler on the bench then put facey or Enoch in at the four. Play the best players at the time regardless of class. Until other players can show they can run the offense, create their own shot, etc larrier and Gilbert need to be in as much as possible. I know it's one game but the ball movement wasn't good and only some players showed confidence

Reaction Score
Brimah needs to play regardless of his offense, if he's not there defensively it's a clear path to the hoop. The starters should be Adams Gilbert Vance/vital larrier and brimah. If you want larrier at the three or another ball handler on the bench then put facey or Enoch in at the four. Play the best players at the time regardless of class. Until other players can show they can run the offense, create their own shot, etc larrier and Gilbert need to be in as much as possible. I know it's one game but the ball movement wasn't good and only some players showed confidence

He blocked one shot, ONE against a bunch of 6'6 dudes. And Neil Walk Jr made him look awful. At least 2 times he left his guy under the hoop to run out to block a shot which was 12 feet away only for a drop off lay up. He's not the guy we think he is. If we have someone in the middle who just guards his guy down low, doesn't block shots and we can throw it to him on the other end we are better off. I think the day of him intimidating anyone is over, people are making shots while having him close by not worried. Not saying I disagree because who else do we have? Not sure but I hope someone steps up or we will see a lot of what we've seen for 3 plus years now and that's unacceptable.

Reaction Score
I know that this is likely because you don't know how to spell "Ad Nauseam"( Google ), but 'as nausea' is a pretty sick unintentional, perfect burn.

"As Nausea", indeed, sir
Yeah, ad nauseaum is really tough to spell......probably wasn't just a typo. How have I survived so far in life without you? Condescending (did I get condescending right?)

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Purvis was terrible . I've been touting him all year leading up to this and my one worry was illuminated last night. He is a notorious slow starter. I don't know why it takes Rodney until February to heat up. I guess Ferraris have to idle for a while before they open up.
I still believe he will be our guy when all is said and done and at minimum have a great conference season.

The problem is, with having to get the freshmen acclimated and having a front loaded schedule, we need Rodney in mid season form RIGHT NOW.

If he can't make good decisions and especially important drain the good look 3s he gets , defenses can pack it in and our pNr offense gets clogged.

It's going to be an ugly week in Maui if the seniors don't step up.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Throw in Adams as a veteran who underwhelmed last night and I think we've got a bit of a dilemma to solve quickly because, to my eyes, Gilbert is ready to lead but there is going to be some tension so long as Adams is supposed to be the leader. My hot take from last night is that Gilbert and Larrier need to be on the floor for most of the game, and everything else is negotiable.

I am now firmly in the @mauconnfan camp re Brimah. I realize that we didn't do much better with the other options, but I'm done believing there is much more upward movement on Brimah's development curve, and I think continuing to defer to him is going to thwart the potential development of Enoch and Durham. Enoch still looks a bit goofy and out of position, but let's let him try that baby hook a few more times and see where that goes. At least he put himself in position to take it last night; now he's just got to start making it. Brimah was getting shoved off the mark constantly and I'm just sick and tired of seeing that.

Vance will be a nice complement to many lineups when we learn how to use him.

Ollie's frenetic and illogical substitution patterns aren't helping cohesion. Gotta stick with a game plan for a while, not just a few possessions.

Rodney, smh.

Jalen, get over yourself. There's a stud on your ass. Learn how to work with him.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Purvis was terrible . I've been touting him all year leading up to this and my one worry was illuminated last night. He is a notorious slow starter. I don't know why it takes Rodney until February to heat up. I guess Ferraris have to idle for a while before they open up.
I still believe he will be our guy when all is said and done and at minimum have a great conference season.

The problem is, with having to get the freshmen acclimated and having a front loaded schedule, we need Rodney in mid season form RIGHT NOW.

If he can't make good decisions and especially important drain the good look 3s he gets , defenses can pack it in and our pNr offense gets clogged.

He plays like a regular student who crams for exams. No consistency throughout the semester but ends up with an average grade because of the ups and downs. A clear case where the median average doesn't begin to tell the story.

Anyone who expects 12-16 points every game out of Purvis is going to be disappointed. It isn't who he is. He's a wooden roller coaster.

Reaction Score

West, he will heat up when it's to late. That's always been his M O. Whether it's in a game that's out of reach that he makes close or when the season is lost. He plays big when nothings on the line.

Reaction Score
Yeah, ad nauseaum is really tough to spell.probably wasn't just a typo. How have I survived so far in life without you? Condescending (did I get condescending right?)

dude, relax. Saturday morning, enjoy a coffee.

I know tone is inaccurately relayed through the internet, but I was burning the team, not you. I give zero fuxxxx if you spell things propperlie, trussed me

Reaction Score
dude, relax. Saturday morning, enjoy a coffee.

I know tone is inaccurately relayed through the internet, but I was burning the team, not you. I give zero fuxxxx if you spell things propperlie, trussed me
Your direct quote was "I know you likely don't know how to spell ad nauseaum". No tone necessary there, just a condescending thing to say.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
West, he will heat up when it's to late. That's always been his M O. Whether it's in a game that's out of reach that he makes close or when the season is lost. He plays big when nothings on the line.

The ARod of UConn basketball.

Reaction Score
They lack composure. I don't know how they are going to get it, but all of them, including Gilbert and Larrier, need to improve in decision-making. I didn't like Enoch's shots, Purvis's shots, Brimah's shots, Larrier's shots, Gilbert's shots, Adams's shots. They all took more difficult shots than they had to and they all could have made passes to open men.

Gilbert actually made his shots (though he got swallowed up a few times down low, off his feet) but still, they did not play with composure. The comeback happened when Larrier drove instead of settling, and all of them started to drive.

That was just a really bad mix of basketball out there.

I think the offense can certainly improve a great deal, but given this was Wagner, and given the rebounding was putrid, I don't see how the team is going to have a good season without rebounding. Clearly, they will have a difficult problem solving that.

Reaction Score
He blocked one shot, ONE against a bunch of 6'6 dudes. And Neil Walk Jr made him look awful. At least 2 times he left his guy under the hoop to run out to block a shot which was 12 feet away only for a drop off lay up. He's not the guy we think he is. If we have someone in the middle who just guards his guy down low, doesn't block shots and we can throw it to him on the other end we are better off. I think the day of him intimidating anyone is over, people are making shots while having him close by not worried. Not saying I disagree because who else do we have? Not sure but I hope someone steps up or we will see a lot of what we've seen for 3 plus years now and that's unacceptable.
Let me add that the one block he made was knocked out of bounds giving the ball right back to Wagner. He needs to figure out what he is doing pretty quickly.

Reaction Score
Let me add that the one block he made was knocked out of bounds giving the ball right back to Wagner. He needs to figure out what he is doing pretty quickly.

Yes he swatted it about 40 feet on one Thabeet would have caught and started a fast break. Good point 60's.

Reaction Score

I wonder if there is an NCAA record for catching the ball out of bounds. If so, Rodney must be getting close.

Reaction Score
I wonder if there is an NCAA record for catching the ball out of bounds. If so, Rodney must be getting close.

This is beyond comprehension at this point. Just not a very good thing to not know where you are on the court, I mean that's like #1.

Reaction Score
This is beyond comprehension at this point. Just not a very good thing to not know where you are on the court, I mean that's like #1.

He is what he has showed us for 2+ seasons. Someone who is very inconsistent. Yes he can heat up but we don't have time to wait for it to happen. He needs to come off the bench and if he's playing good ball stays in otherwise someone else needs to play. This is a Ferrari that you put on blocks and dream about driving it but it never gets out of the garage.

Reaction Score
Facey, Brimah, and, to a lesser extent Purvis, were all guys who we took at a time when we couldn't recruit our way out of a paper bag.

Those times are over now, but we're still burdened by the chaff.

Play the kids, let them develop. The seniors are a sunk cost.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score

It looks to me like Rodney continues to play tight which is really bad when he is a rhythm player who needs to be relaxed to play well. IMHO, Rodney's ceiling is to be a good role player and not the guy we want with the ball in crunch time. His horrible turnovers and bad shooting hurt the team a lot last night.

Reaction Score
Facey, Brimah, and, to a lesser extent Purvis, were all guys who we took at a time when we couldn't recruit our way out of a paper bag.

Those times are over now, but we're still burdened by the chaff.

Play the kids, let them develop. The seniors are a sunk cost.

True of Facey and Brimah, but... obviously Purvis was the #1 target UConn lost to NC State. He was a top 20 McDs kid, which shows that rankings aren't the end of the story when it comes to recruiting.

UConn's top gets over the last few years have been Purvis, Omar Calhoun, and Daniel Hamilton.

Before them, it was Deandre Daniels.

Very different than the Kemba Walker, AJ Price, Rudy Gay that preceded them.

Hopefully, Jalen Adams and Alterique Glbert break that run.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
True of Facey and Brimah, but... obviously Purvis was the #1 target UConn lost to NC State. He was a top 20 McDs kid, which shows that rankings aren't the end of the story when it comes to recruiting.

UConn's top gets over the last few years have been Purvis, Omar Calhoun, and Daniel Hamilton.

Before them, it was Deandre Daniels.

Very different than the Kemba Walker, AJ Price, Rudy Gay that preceded them.

Hopefully, Jalen Adams and Alterique Glbert break that run.

Yeah, the idea that Purvis is "chaff" brought by the sanctions is revisionist history of the highest order, and @Tenspro2002 should feel bad for suggesting it - any McD AA whom Calhoun thought it was worth going after while coaching is not "chaff".

His development over the next 4 years has nothing to do with whether or not he was a UConn-level recruit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom