Our Senior Guards | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Our Senior Guards

Reaction Score
There are seven straight games now that we should win and shape the team going forward.
St. Pete, UNH, NJIT, CINCY, USF, Tulane, and Wich State.
By then, the guard situation should be solidified.
CV will be the six man.
AG will average double digit assists.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
There are seven straight games now that we should win and shape the team going forward.
St. Pete, UNH, NJIT, CINCY, USF, Tulane, and Wich State.
By then, the guard situation should be solidified.
CV will be the six man.
AG will average double digit assists.
Hurley is the epitome of a players coach, he’s not benching CV.

Reaction Score
Hurley is the epitome of a players coach, he’s not benching CV.
Why not? Vital is hyper-competitive, but delusional about his abilities and weaknesses. After all these years playing hoops, he hasn't grasped the concepts behind why some teams win and others lose. He is a liability in a team sport...blinded by wanting to be a hero. He's not Kemba or Shabazz.
If Bouk had the minutes and latitude to make mistakes - like Vital - we would be better off. Give Vital Bouk's minutes.
Vital has stuck with the program, but put him on another team at this D1 level, he's a sixth man.

Reaction Score
We are missing 1 serviceable guard. Gaffney is just not ready, and no one else is really able to play the PG position.

Regardless, Hurley is making coaching sin #1 by giving the leash he is to the senior guards. What he's doing is dangerous for team chemistry. As I said elsewhere, everyone, even coaches can be stunned by the MSG lights. If the coaching disaster occurs a third time, I'll start to be concerned.

So if nobody else is ready or can play the PG position, and Gilbert is getting too long a leash, what is the alternative? Because the two statements certainly contradict each other.

Reaction Score
If you're pushing to cut the PT of our senior guards and only capable point guard, you're admitting that we're already playing for next year.

Reaction Score
It’s honestly tough because both of them provide something that nobody else on our team has proven capable of.

Gilbert quarterbacks the offense better than any other play on their roster, in spite of his bad shot selection and poor shooting performances.

Vital is legitimately the best rebounder on the team and a very capable defender, but he just tries waaaaay too hard to be a hero and never gets his within the flow of the offense.

If we have any aspirations of making the tournament this year, we have to rely pretty heavily on them, but so far this year I haven’t been extremely impressed. Even in the win vs Florida, both shot the ball pretty poorly and turned the ball over too many times

Reaction Score
If you're pushing to cut the PT of our senior guards and only capable point guard, you're admitting that we're already playing for next year.
I disagree strongly, if you're not willing to cut Vital's time some and give Bouknight more time and leeway you're abandoning any chance at the NCAA's this season.

Reaction Score
I disagree strongly, if you're not willing to cut Vital's time some and give Bouknight more time and leeway you're abandoning any chance at the NCAA's this season.

I'll meet you halfway on Bouk/Vital, although last night it wouldn't have made a difference. If you want to play Gaffney now when he's clearly not ready, you're forfeiting games until he is . . .

Reaction Score
I'll meet you halfway on Bouk/Vital, although last night it wouldn't have made a difference. If you want to play Gaffney now when he's clearly not ready, you're forfeiting games until he is . . .
I'm consistent on Alterique has to play almost the whole game because of his ballhandling and breakdown abilities but the two of them on the court together has basically been a black hole against non cupcake teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You can say they give us our best chance of winning but it's just not true.

Gilbert gives us the best chance of winning when he looks for his own offense as a last resort or at the very least within the flow of what they're running. The offense has looked the best when he's in the game and playing like a point guard, rather than a scoring guard. I don't know who runs the offense if it's not him. But I agree that his leash needs to be tighter (or exist).

Vital is a different story. Love the kid's moxie and his energy but sometimes I cringe when he hits a deep three early because it's usually a shot he could get with 2 seconds on the shot clock rather than 20 and I feel like it encourages him to keep looking for it. He's got a role to play, no doubt, but I agree with you that Hurley needs to do a better job of reigning him in when he sees that hero stuff creeping in.

Also, relatedly, I get that a point of emphasis is getting the ball in Carlton's hands because he's effective but we must have turned the ball over ten times trying to force entry passes that weren't there.

Reaction Score
Gilbert gives us the best chance of winning when he looks for his own offense as a last resort or at the very least within the flow of what they're running. The offense has looked the best when he's in the game and playing like a point guard, rather than a scoring guard. I don't know who runs the offense if it's not him. But I agree that his leash needs to be tighter (or exist).

Vital is a different story. Love the kid's moxie and his energy but sometimes I cringe when he hits a deep three early because it's usually a shot he could get with 2 seconds on the shot clock rather than 20 and I feel like it encourages him to keep looking for it. He's got a role to play, no doubt, but I agree with you that Hurley needs to do a better job of reigning him in when he sees that hero stuff creeping in.

Also, relatedly, I get that a point of emphasis is getting the ball in Carlton's hands because he's effective but we must have turned the ball over ten times trying to force entry passes that weren't there.
All this is right and great, and if I had the capacity to "Like" it, I would.

Reaction Score
Gaffney needs to get 25+ min the next 3 games against the cupcakes. He needs to run the team and offense in those games. Get comfortable.
Good point and good idea. We are a train wreck w CV handling the ball for more than 5 seconds at a time.

Reaction Score
I'm consistent on Alterique has to play almost the whole game because of his ballhandling and breakdown abilities but the two of them on the court together has basically been a black hole against non cupcake teams.
I agree we need Gilbert to play a lot even though he drives me crazy at times. But I just get the feeling he feels some sort of loyalty to Vital.

Reaction Score
If you mean it's going to take a period of time before the newer players are comfortable with the system, can integrate with other players and become more and more consistent in providing positive contributions versus negative then your statement is very accurate.

I meant to quote a post regarding DH not benching a player quick enough for bad play. My post would hopefully sound less out of place had I done that.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Agree with most of what you wrote. Disagree with Hurley's management of CV. Indiana's up 36-31 when Christian takes a quick 3 pt shot at 16:29 remaining. Hurley pulls him out and CV sits until 11:18 remaining with Indiana leading 38 -36 .

From 16:29 until 14:58 Indiana increases the lead to 38-31. CV is still benched.

Additionally for those making statements about Hurley's double standards with upperclassmen:

Tyler Polley takes a quick 3 pt shot at 13:42. Hurley subs him out for Bouknight at 13:40 with Indiana leading 35-31. Tyler is subbed back in with 7:51 remaining with the score 40-38 Indiana.
Gilbert takes a quick 3 at 11:20 and is subbed out at 11:18 for Christian with the score 38-36 Indiana. Alterique is subbed back in at 9:53 with the score tied at 38.

In spite of the same bad play Hurley only seats Al for one minute and 27 seconds. He recognizes, as do you and several of us, the critical need to keep Alterique in the game. Of those three players taking the type of shots that Hurley obviously emphasized not to take at halftime (and the type of shots that the brilliant Boneyarders point out but not so brilliantly observe Hurley's awareness and actions), Polley was kept on the bench the longest while CV was benched less than Polley and more than Alterique. I'm sure he would have preferred benching them all equally but chose to put them back based on relative contributions. It's an action by a coach trying to deal with the immediate situation of winning an important game with sending a long term message that things need to change.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I agree we need Gilbert to play a lot even though he drives me crazy at times. But I just get the feeling he feels some sort of loyalty to Vital.
And that's a problem.

Reaction Score
I don't think he's even looking at a PG for next season and is counting on Gaffney/Cole with Adams as a backup. I do think we need another off guard with ball handling skills and can create his own shot. I think that is what we are really going to be lacking next season.
Geez. Relying on gaffney and Adams for next year backing up cole- yikes !!! Not good.

Reaction Score
Agree with most of what you wrote. Disagree with Hurley's management of CV. Indiana's up 36-31 when Christian takes a quick 3 pt shot at 16:29 remaining. Hurley pulls him out and CV sits until 11:18 remaining with Indiana leading 38 -36 .

From 16:29 until 14:58 Indiana increases the lead to 38-31. CV is still benched.

Additionally for those making statements about Hurley's double standards with upperclassmen:

Tyler Polley takes a quick 3 pt shot at 13:42. Hurley subs him out for Bouknight at 13:40 with Indiana leading 35-31. Tyler is subbed back in with 7:51 remaining with the score 40-38 Indiana.
Gilbert takes a quick 3 at 11:20 and is subbed out at 11:18 for Christian with the score 38-36 Indiana. Alterique is subbed back in at 9:53 with the score tied at 38.

In spite of the same bad play Hurley only seats Al for one minute and 27 seconds. He recognizes, as do you and several of us, the critical need to keep Alterique in the game. Of those three players taking the type of shots that Hurley obviously emphasized not to take at halftime (and the type of shots that the brilliant Boneyarders point out but not so brilliantly observe Hurley's awareness and actions), Polley was kept on the bench the longest while CV was benched less than Polley and more than Alterique. I'm sure he would have preferred benching them all equally but chose to put them back based on relative contributions. It's an action by a coach trying to deal with the immediate situation of winning an important game with sending a long term message that things need to change.
The difference is when alterique is going to thru his bad spells we still need him to bring the ball up - when vital starts “getting crazy” it’s a double whammy because he’ll commit careless mistakes AND we can’t have him bring the ball up

Reaction Score
So, are the "bench CV and AG" crowd" thinking that Gaffney, Bouk, and Adams will perform better? Those three were horrendous last night and sorry, Gaffney is nowhere near ready to be a contributor at this juncture.
While I agree that AG and CV were horrible Wednesday night you really got to pick your poison- at least CV and AG can do some things decently - u throw gaffney and Adams in there(when Adams is last years Adams) and it’s brutal. especially Gaffney- he’s just not ready.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The difference is when alterique is going to thru his bad spells we still need him to bring the ball up - when vital starts “getting crazy” it’s a double whammy because he’ll commit careless mistakes AND we can’t have him bring the ball up
And I pointed out not only what you have stated but Hurley is aware of it also as evidenced by the amount of time he kept CV on the bench versus the amount of time he kept Al on the bench.

The Boneyard is starting a narrative that Hurley is not aware of this nor is he acting on it. I went to a lot of detail specifically to demonstrate that a lot of posters are just throwing it against the wall. People calling CV out for bad play are not accurate themselves with some of the shots their taking.

Reaction Score
One thing that bothers me constantly about the college game is how often teams searching for a "great" shot often just lead to turnovers. It doesn't matter if they are errant passes, travels, illegal screens but you see them constantly in the half court. I really feel like AG needs to get the ball up as quickly as possible and the offense has to take the first good shot not necessarily wait for the better shot. Simultaneously, instead of "overfeeding the post", JC needs work harder to get position which leads to easier passes.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Boneyard is starting a narrative that Hurley is not aware of this nor is he acting on it.
He's aware of it, I agree. I think he's hoping they'll figure it out but they're not making it easy on him. How many steaming piles will it take? Looks like more than three.

Reaction Score
Disappointed with our guard play overall. This was supposed to be our strong point.

I can't find any excuses for CV and his play. He's been playing for 4 years here.

I'm going to give AG the benefit of the doubt here. He's barely a sophomore in terms of games played and I still think he'll turn it around. In the two years that he was out for injury, he couldn't even practice much because of these injuries. The BY had the same complaints with Taleik and with Kemba as freshman/sophs.

Reactions: pj

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom