Our Savvy Molly | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Our Savvy Molly

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Forgetting Molly’s academics, it seems pretty clear that she can shoot, and while not the most athletic player in the world, she’s not a bad athlete nor that slow. Which made me think about her relative to Maria Conlon who wound up, a bit by default at first, becoming a key part of a few championships.

Maria’s main recruiting skill was shooting. But for her first few years she was really only a tiny bit player. When she got her chance, her main contribution wasn’t shooting. She really couldn’t create for herself. But she was a steady ball handler and important part of the team. I’m among those who thought Molly wasn’t up to the level of competition. I still think that’s true for the better teams, but I’m now not so sure she couldn’t have been used to spell the guards for a few minutes here and there, at least by her junior year. Maybe the era at UConn has been wrong for Molly. They will certainly have some blow outs this year, maybe a lot. I’m not sure why a few first half minutes with a 20 point lead isn’t a good time to rest a few players, but GA is pretty conservative that way.

Reaction Score
I am guessing that unlike math courses which are generally objectively graded, English classes are often subjectively graded. Since her B+ was early in her career, she probably needed some experience to learn the idiosyncrasies of the particular instructor.
There is more than a touch of truth in what you say. A dozen works of published/famous writers were given to a NYU English Prof for grading. More than half failed none received an A. Yes subjective grading.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
There is more than a touch of truth in what you say. A dozen works of published/famous writers were given to a NYU English Prof for grading. More than half failed none received an A. Yes subjective grading.
Sounds like the profs were jealous. And with some writing experience I can say, fiction writers at least, aren’t writing homework assignments. They do all sorts of things that one would never do in a homework project.

Reaction Score
Sounds like the profs were jealous. And with some writing experience I can say, fiction writers at least, aren’t writing homework assignments. They do all sorts of things that one would never do in a homework project.
The real problem with Subjective grading is: It's subjective. Said as the spouse of an English Prof. who indulges in writing for hire.

Reaction Score
well, I dunno, I guess there is a :rolleyes:, but seriously, is she considering grad school?

I have no idea but undergrads that smart often do.............she's certainly qualified..............

Reaction Score
I would like to congratulate Molly. I have known only one other D1 NCAAW basketball player doing BS in math. She was from one of the historically black colleges and I have forgotten the details.
I would like to mention that Virginia Wade, a three time grand slam winner from the UK, studied physics and mathematics at U of Sussex. I have been told of her post graduate degrees. I was unable to confirm it.
BS math among basketball players is very rare.

Reaction Score
I would like to congratulate Molly. I have known only one other D1 NCAAW basketball player doing BS in math. She was from one of the historically black colleges and I have forgotten the details.
I would like to mention that Virginia Wade, a three time grand slam winner from the UK, studied physics and mathematics at U of Sussex. I have been told of her post graduate degrees. I was unable to confirm it.
BS math among basketball players is very rare.
Another impressive mathematician-athlete is retired NFL-er John Urschel. Urschel graduated from Penn State with a 4.0 in Mathematics in 3 years. He's currently doing a PhD at MIT. John Urschel - Wikipedia

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
well, I dunno, I guess there is a :rolleyes:, but seriously, is she considering grad school?
I hope she does (considers and goes) and doesn't become a teacher. I do hope she gets into some arena of coaching or helping with a team. She will have one of the greatest attributes a college grad can have: a recommendation from GA.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I hope she does (considers and goes) and doesn't become a teacher. I do hope she gets into some arena of coaching or helping with a team. She will have one of the greatest attributes a college grad can have: a recommendation from GA.

Unless she goes the private school teaching route, she’ll have to go to grad school (or at least some kind of licensure program) to get her teaching credentials.

As noted in the thread title, Molly is savvy. I’d be shocked if she enrolled in a graduate program and WASN’T a graduate assistant to, at the very least, get her master’s paid for.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom