Our program is not in a position to redshirt anyone. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Our program is not in a position to redshirt anyone.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This team can win now. I believe it. If Edsall doesn't believe it, fire him now. UConn can have no more practice seasons.

Now, as for true freshmen. If they can earn a role and are ready to contribute then you play them. If they aren't, you don't. It isn't rocket science but we do need to trust the staff to make the determination. If McAfee beats out everyone else as QB this summer he should be the QB.

Reaction Score
Sorry you know this about Skanes how? Because Diaco said so? Is Skanes your new Boyle?

Pal is already clamoring for the backup WR who he's never seen play. Some things never change.
By his high school numbers and the fact Diaco called him electric in pre-season practice. He'll play this year as he sat all last year. But I believe we could have used him last year.

I was more anti-Whitmer than pro-Boyle. Whitmer had proven he couldn't win, eventually the coaches came around to my way of thinking. So basically, I was just a few games ahead of the coaches. I'm intuitive like that.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
By his high school numbers and the fact Diaco called him electric in pre-season practice. He'll play this year as he sat all last year. But I believe we could have used him last year.

I was more anti-Whitmer than pro-Boyle. Whitmer had proven he couldn't win, eventually the coaches came around to my way of thinking. So basically, I was just a few games ahead of the coaches. I'm intuitive like that.

Except for the part where Boyle performed worse than Whitmer.

What a sad, egotistical excuse of a man you are.

Reaction Score
This team can win now. I believe it. If Edsall doesn't believe it, fire him now. UConn can have no more practice seasons.

Now, as for true freshmen. If they can earn a role and are ready to contribute then you play them. If they aren't, you don't. It isn't rocket science but we do need to trust the staff to make the determination. If McAfee beats out everyone else as QB this summer he should be the QB.

So who is our QB that you believe we can win with? Because most of us don't know we have one.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So who is our QB that you believe we can win with? Because most of us don't know we have one.

We don't know we do and we don't know we don't. Williams, in a solid system, with good blocking, might be fine. He also might develop significantly from last year. McAfee could come in and look fantastic. We could get a Juco or grad transfer. I'm more worried about the OL.

Reaction Score
The issue is not so much about freshmen, it's rather whether or not there is gonna be a "practice season" as someone put it. That is exactly what Diaco did his first year. Handed out PT to guys he wanted to develop for the following season. Sat some guys who coulda been more effective and gotten more wins that first year. Then the second year everyone stood back in awe and marveled at the improved record. I doubt like heck that is gonna happen this time. Way too much pressure. Serious business. Trying to save a program.

Reaction Score
You watch this staff being put together and you can just tell Randy's executing a good plan. Young staff plus some with Uconn roots. Eastern seaboard and southern recruiting ties. Some NFL Cred. Most importantly. No head scratchers. No need to ask who's going to call plays? Think it was @Fishy who said we got a grown up running this thing again. It's pretty evident early on.

Reaction Score
You watch this staff being put together and you can just tell Randy's executing a good plan. Young staff plus some with Uconn roots. Eastern seaboard and southern recruiting ties. Some NFL Cred. Most importantly. No head scratchers. No need to ask who's going to call plays? Think it was @Fishy who said we got a grown up running this thing again. It's pretty evident early on.
I would call the Crocker hire a bit of a head scratcher.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I would call the Crocker hire a bit of a head scratcher.

Everyone else on staff pales in comparison to Lashlee. Given the way things have gone with the program you have every right to be circumspect, but I don't think this guy will be a dud at all. He's not a big, flashy name, but his defenses put up really good numbers in FCS. With a guy like Edsall in his ear, I think he'll be able to find success at this level.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Palatine got to happy hour early today. He managed to start 10 idiotic threads across all the boards.

Don't redshirt anyone is as dumb as redshirt everyone.

Gee maybe let the coaches weigh the cost benefit and make decisions accordingly.

Reaction Score
This team could be the most important in our history. The talent will absolutely have to produce competitive efforts and wins to justify the buyout and fill the seats. There's no way Lashlee can/will prove his worth and trigger those incentives by sitting the best offensive performers if they happen to be freshmen. In fact, if word gets out that talented frosh receivers, running backs, DB's etc will be given a genuine opportunity at UConn to compete for playing time rather than receive an automatic redshirt as in some programs, we just might pick up some unexpected gems.

Reaction Score
Everyone else on staff pales in comparison to Lashlee. Given the way things have gone with the program you have every right to be circumspect, but I don't think this guy will be a dud at all. He's not a big, flashy name, but his defenses put up really good numbers in FCS. With a guy like Edsall in his ear, I think he'll be able to find success at this level.
I hope you are right. I just find this hire...after bringing in guys like Richardson..and to an effect Wholley..a HUGE question mark and a reach. The guy runs a defensive scheme in a 3-3-5 that doesn't fit what is on this roster by any means (except for maybe LB) and has run that scheme for 4 years. For him to come here and run a 4-3 is not gonna be second nature to him. Only saving grace is that IMHO it's easier to change a D scheme than a offense.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
By the way -- 2018 is the year that good 'ole Bob having played every true frosh he had in year 1 is going to bite us in the rump, because this is now their 4th and last year.

The following is a list of those we won't have in '18 because Bob blew a year of eligibility on practice games:

Newsome, Johnson, Bloom, Rutherford, Hashemi, Luke, Diggs, McAllister and Summers. Of them, Newsome and Johnson contributed (although with Max and Mariner there was really no need to play both of them), and Bloom and Luke (although they would both be much better with age), but the rest were really just playing special teams.

Bob is the gift that keeps giving. He can go 2-10 and burn all the redshirts.

Another winning strategy by Pal.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This team could be the most important in our history. The talent will absolutely have to produce competitive efforts and wins to justify the buyout and fill the seats. There's no way Lashlee can/will prove his worth and trigger those incentives by sitting the best offensive performers if they happen to be freshmen. In fact, if word gets out that talented frosh receivers, running backs, DB's etc will be given a genuine opportunity at UConn to compete for playing time rather than receive an automatic redshirt as in some programs, we just might pick up some unexpected gems.

Did weyou hijack your account?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I hope you are right. I just find this hire...after bringing in guys like Richardson..and to an effect Wholley..a HUGE question mark and a reach. The guy runs a defensive scheme in a 3-3-5 that doesn't fit what is on this roster by any means (except for maybe LB) and has run that scheme for 4 years. For him to come here and run a 4-3 is not gonna be second nature to him. Only saving grace is that IMHO it's easier to change a D scheme than a offense.

Half the defense seemed to be playing out of position the last two seasons. Other than the defensive tackles there were constant matchup issues.

With Lashlee - Edsall can spend 90% of his time on defense. And maybe Edsall is advanced enough to find an assistant who can help him plot a defense against a spread run by a talented QB.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Half the defense seemed to be playing out of position the last two seasons. Other than the defensive tackles there were constant matchup issues.

With Lashlee - Edsall can spend 90% of his time on defense. And maybe Edsall is advanced enough to find an assistant who can help him plot a defense against a spread run by a talented QB.
and maybe transition to the idea that modern defense is about getting stops/turnovers and not just trading points for time... a plan to win 35-30 is a lot more likely than a plan to win 13-10.

Reaction Score

Your intuition is "special"

Reaction Score

I understand your point, but we have no speed on D. If I take your logic to an extreme, should we have eliminated all candidates who base their schemes on speed? I would think you would hire the best candidate and then recruit more team speed, which we all know is what we have to do

Whoever comes to a new situation has to figure out how you modify what you want to run to what you can run until your recruits start coming through the system.

Reaction Score
I understand your point, but we have no speed on D. If I take your logic to an extreme, should we have eliminated all candidates who base their schemes on speed? I would think you would hire the best candidate and then recruit more team speed, which we all know is what we have to do

Whoever comes to a new situation has to figure out how you modify what you want to run to what you can run until your recruits start coming through the system.
Agreed, but no coach is gonna be able to get many of his recruits fully integrated into the team as 1's or 2's if the first couple or three years are disastrous. HCRE might get an extra year pushing it to a minimum of four based on his prior record. But that is about it. So the coaching staff must be adaptive, analytical, none of this is the best system is this and that is what we are gonna install irregardless of the personnel. They will also have to be quick thinking. All that right out of the box. The pressure is on immediately. No training wheels like the last go-round.

One final point: speed and quickness are not quite the same thing. The Huskies need both.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom