Our "Lack Of Talent" | The Boneyard

Our "Lack Of Talent"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This was the common theme among all the sportswriters and alot on here after the defections(I felt if Omar was the real deal and DeAndre played up to his ranking we would be aight), Jeff Goodman and Seth Davis both said there was little talent left in Storrs, Gary Parrish said there was no talent left and that coupled with the ban was primary reason Calhoun was bolting. I'm sure there were others who don't need any attention paid to that said the same thing.

But when you look at our top 7 of Bazz, Boat, Omar, DeAndre, Tyler, Evans, and Giffey can you really say there's no talent there? We're obviously short on frontcourt depth, KO will have to mix and match from game to game to get an 8th guy in there, and an injury to one of the top 7 would kill us, but when I look at college basketball this year and compare it to what we have there aren't alot of teams where you would say UConn is dwarfed in talent like the media hyped it up as.

Mich St had big bodies in Dawson, Payne, and Nix, but they didn't overwhelm UConn, and the talent level was fairly even. Kansas is top 10 and they didn't even look more talented than Mich St, let alone more than UConn. I'm not getting gassed off of 2 games but if we can get consistent outings from our top 7 I like our chances night in and night out against anyone. This is a very weak year in CBB in terms of talent, UConn isn't going to be outclassed there.

Reaction Score
, I'm watching Duke right now, there's not great talent on that roster, but they'll have a great regular season because they're well coached, they're gonna D up and bust their ass every night, and they're fundamentally sound. I'm hoping these are the same qualities we'll see our squad show as well, if that happens they'll win games.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
the only thing we lack is size on the front court... that's it... we possibly could have the best court(boat,bazz,omar) in the big east maybe the country, daniels can be a stud if his confidence stays high, olander i love his iq and his intensity, giff is sounds on defense and you cant over look evans, big body smart intense

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Yeah, it was never a question of talent; the problem is that the talent is not equally distributed between the frontcourt and the backcourt. We're going to get killed on the boards all year. Period. The question is whether our advantage on the perimeter can negate that.

Bazz and Boat are playing well but Boat can shoot better. Omar will have a breakout game soon enough. And I really like what we're getting out of Evans. Our wing players are solid. As for our bigs, Tyler is working his butt off but he's our #1 guy, backed by DeAndre (out of position), Wolf and Nolan.

Reaction Score
, I'm watching Duke right now, there's not great talent on that roster, but they'll have a great regular season because they're well coached, they're gonna D up and bust their ass every night, and they're fundamentally sound. I'm hoping these are the same qualities we'll see our squad show as well, if that happens they'll win games.
If u compare us to Dook ever again we r going to have words. And it' s spelled Dook. If UCONN starts hugging I am going to track u down.

caw

Reaction Score
There are few teams that have a low-post player that will hurt UConn offensively, there just aren't that many in college basketball. Where low post players will hurt UConn is on the boards. UConn has to make it up by keeping TO's down and creating turnovers on defense.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
I love this team. The guys Ollie are recruiting know what they're getting themselves into. They're high character guys, not sell-outs like UK's recruits. I'm impressed that our chemistry is coming together so quick...

Reaction Score
There are few teams that have a low-post player that will hurt UConn offensively, there just aren't that many in college basketball. Where low post players will hurt UConn is on the boards. UConn has to make it up by keeping TO's down and creating turnovers on defense.
It is more a question of strength than size. Olander and Daniels are both 6'8" so we have the size . Jeff Adrian was about 6'5". It is the strength that is missing especially when we play 3 guards.We will get outrebounded a lot but we can make up for that with quickness on defense and transition points on offense.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
we seem to overachieve when lowly regarded, and disappoint when highly regarded

I like being overlooked, and I concur with the OP

Reaction Score
Agree nomar, the boards will never be our friend this year but this team can minimize the damage those numbers will do with overall D and making jump shots.......

The one thing I notice now after 2 games is the guards, while smallish they have that knack to make the opponents guards a little weary on putting the ball down in front of them. Boat took it form Appling early in Germany and laid it in for a layup....Appling didn't go to the hole or create as much the rest of that game like he did vs Kansas, call it coincidence or call it nerves, I like the nattiness of our guards which they create in the heads of the opponents. #12 for the Catamounts seemed to be dribbling back and forth rather than creating and he wasn't alkl that excited about being guarded by these guys...........that's a nbice advantage but they will need to keep their men in front of them most of the time vs better opposition and not take chances because the line if defense is lacking after that..........

Also this team more than any needs to try to block less shots.......I always contest you lose rebounds because you lose position and this team more than ever, needs to gain position under the boards if they are to rebound. I didn't like the 10 blocks against MSU because this would go their head......stay in the ground in good defensive position, hand in the face and then get your a** on someone............that will change the rebounding numbers right there..........

Reaction Score
^ it's because boatright and Napier when healthy are just better than most or any backcourts. Especially boatright he plays with such a chip on his should its crazy. our perimeter and team defense just have to remain elite.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It is more a question of strength than size. Olander and Daniels are both 6'8" so we have the size . Jeff Adrian was about 6'5". It is the strength that is missing especially when we play 3 guards.We will get outrebounded a lot but we can make up for that with quickness on defense and transition points on offense.

Evans really helps here, being able to guard and body up taller players.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We are two games into the season. I am having fun watching this team too, but let's not get crazy. This is a decent team that is playing well together right now. There is not a ton of talent on the team, but it is good enough to hang with most of the teams on its schedule if it plays smart, hard, fast and together.

Reaction Score
Uconn can score from all 5 positions. It has been awhile since we could do that. Also we will be a much better FT shooting team this year vs last year. This will be a team that relies on defense, minimize TO's , spread out the offense with all 5 players having the ability to shoot from15 ft, hit their free throws and play as a team with excellent chemistry.

Reaction Score
We are two games into the season. I am having fun watching this team too, but let's not get crazy. This is a decent team that is playing well together right now. There is not a ton of talent on the team, but it is good enough to hang with most of the teams on its schedule if it plays smart, hard, fast and together.

I'm pretty sure that was what I stated in my original post and the general consesus in the thread, who is getting crazy?

Reaction Score

When someone talks about a ton of talent on a team, I need some explanation. DD, Calhoun, Bazz and Boat for freshman to juniors all elite talents for their class. Bazz is probably furthest along in skill/game playing as he should be as a junior with the only one who got experience playing with Kemba and the boys. Not many teams have talent like this Uconn team. This is top 25 talent, which to me is a ton. Add Giff/TO/Evans and that is a good top 7, heavy at guard but still lot of talent. Two big guys as reserves and even the 3rd German kid all look at least "Chuck or Beverly" good. Add it all up and is lot of talent "for a college team".

You can not play as well as Uconn has in 1st 2 games without lot of talent. If you are saying ton of talent term is reserved for last year Kentucky with 1st 2 NBA draft picks and 5/6 guys drafted or Uconn with 2 lottery picks last year, then I agree; but that reduces ton of talent to mean maybe 3 or 4 teams each year.

Reaction Score
UConn's starting five has talent, just not talent in big bodies. Also there is a not a lot of depth.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This was the common theme among all the sportswriters and a lot on here.

Especially here. When one remarkably prescient poster declared that this team had "bubble talent" many fans disagreed immediately. One epic response did a side-by-side comparison of this team and JC's first team and declared them similar. The fact is this team has some talented players and KO has them playing team ball.

caw

Reaction Score
I should have also said, there is talent and then there is talent. UConn is still more talented than most CB teams, but there isn't as much raw talent as last year. I don't think there is a single player that is as talented as Lamb. There is no player as freakish as Drummond. Doesn't mean they won't be good, sometimes chemistry can make up for lack in talent.

I would love to watch Bazz and Boat go after each other in practice. I doubt there are two peskier defenders, who also both have the ball on a string on offense.

A team like Cuse, who is (usually) disciplined and long will cause UConn fits. Same with UL. However, there aren't many teams with those combinations in the country.

Reaction Score
sometimes chemistry can make up for lack in talent.

I think George Mason a few years ago would agree.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
The fact is this team has some talented players and KO has them playing team ball.
If they can play with this much effort wire to wire this will be a very fun season and they will win a lot of games regardless of their lack of size. This is college basketball. More often than not a difference in effort will eliminate any talent gap that isn't a powerhouse playing against a doormat.

Reaction Score
This team can really cause most teams to change their normal way of doing things. They can lock you down one on one for 96ft as well as 48ft. They will run at every opportunity and make your life miserable especially if your name is Curry. I really like our chemistry , especially how well RJ fits the rotation and cheerleads on the bench. We don't need other teams to recognize our talent, we need to kick their ass when we play. Reps are made on the hardwood not in sports columns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom