Our key in the postseason | The Boneyard

Our key in the postseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So far, so good. The defense that was stellar in the regular season has been even better in the postseason, including against two Sweet 16 teams. From Rich's blog:

"UConn had been holding opponents to 45.9 points and 30.0 percent shooting from the field through the first 30 games. But in five postseason games, including the Big East tournament, the Huskies have been even better defensively. They have allowed 40.8 points on 27.9 percent shooting in winning the Big East tournament championship and reaching the NCAA regionals for the 19th straight year."

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
At an overall average of 45.1 ppg allowed, UConn is now well set to break the national mark of 46.2 set by the team in 2010. If they go to the NC game, they need to limit the opponents to 55.25 ppg or under to set the record. That's well within their capabilities, even though high-scoring PSU and other strong teams are in the pathway. The Huskies know it's the D that will win a championship.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
that's very impressive given that the level of competition was much higher in the BET and NCAA's so far than UCONN's regular season - so far they've played RU, SJU, ND, Prairie View, and K-State. Believe it or not, K-State had an RPI of 17 (altho i checked Sagarian and they were at 40). of course, PV, at 16-16 had an RPI over 200...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Chris Ellsberry on Kelly's defense:

"For example, Fairfield's Taryn Johnson was averaging 14 points a game when the two teams played. She scored two against Faris. North Carolina's Chay Shegog (16.7 points) scored four, Oklahoma's Aaryn Ellenberg (19.8 points) scored five and DePaul's Anna Martin (18.2 points) didn't score at all."

In 4 games, players averaging 68.7 ppg notched a grand total of 11 points. Yikes!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Chris Ellsberry on Kelly's defense:

"For example, Fairfield's Taryn Johnson was averaging 14 points a game when the two teams played. She scored two against Faris. North Carolina's Chay Shegog (16.7 points) scored four, Oklahoma's Aaryn Ellenberg (19.8 points) scored five and DePaul's Anna Martin (18.2 points) didn't score at all."

In 4 games, players averaging 68.7 ppg notched a grand total of 11 points. Yikes!

I don't recall Kelly guarding Chay Shegog, but it's true that UConn has historically done a great job of shutting down its opponents' best player and this year was no different.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I don't recall Kelly guarding Chay Shegog, but it's true that UConn has historically done a great job of shutting down its opponents' best player and this year was no different.
I'm pretty sure Kelly will be guarding Maggie Lucas. Of course with switches on screens, it will be a team effort, but primary responsibility will be to Kelly and Tiff.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Does our postseason key look anything like this?

1327444858319-549370551.jpeg

Reaction Score

UCONN: Yes, one of Coach's many great strengths has been exactly that......designing a defense to take away alot of the pluses of the opponent's big dawg. And, Faris has done a superb job of implementing his strategies.

On the other side of the ledger, does anyone recall how or why we failed to go after Lucas as a recruit?? Especially with input from fellow Pennsylvanian and teammate, Doty?? One of Geno's mantras is, "You can't have too many good guards." I don't recall us showing much interest in her??

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Kelly will be guarding Maggie Lucas. Of course with switches on screens, it will be a team effort, but primary responsibility will be to Kelly and Tiff.
Little Miss Lucas is about to get an all too rude awakening, much like Renae Portland's favorite player from a few years ago. What was her name and where is she now. An Italian name if IRRC. She got skunked and Portland bitched like a kicked dog. A 1 seed playing a 2 seed at home, holy Lady Vols Batman.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I do not expect Maggie to fare well at all against UConn's D. She has, however, progressed tremendously this year over last season really adding to her game. She is no longer just a spot up shooter of which she is clearly one of the best. She loves the game and has a mixture of intense focus and broad smiles during the game.

She is in tremendous condition physically and never stops moving. She has added to her ball handling. She uses picks and screens much better than a year ago.

Among her flaws is she will drive into the lane and throw up wild shots when no escape plan or good options emerge. It is important not to foul her and bail her out. The discipline UConn shows on D will not likely do that.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
UCONN: Yes, one of Coach's many great strengths has been exactly that......designing a defense to take away alot of the pluses of the opponent's big dawg. And, Faris has done a superb job of implementing his strategies.

On the other side of the ledger, does anyone recall how or why we failed to go after Lucas as a recruit?? Especially with input from fellow Pennsylvanian and teammate, Doty?? One of Geno's mantras is, "You can't have too many good guards." I don't recall us showing much interest in her??

Maggie's parents (and I think many relatives) are PSU alumni. I believe her parents had very successful athletic careers at PSU. Caroline has reported that Maggie was totally committed to attend Penn State before she was even in High School. Attending UConn, or any other college than Penn State, was a non-starter for Maggie. Caroline never tried to recruit Maggie. As a friend, CD respected what she knew were Maggie's long time dreams. Geno got this message very clearly from CD. Thus -- no effort was made by Geno to recruit Maggie.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Little Miss Lucas is about to get an all too rude awakening, much like Renae Portland's favorite player from a few years ago. What was her name and where is she now. An Italian name if IRRC. She got skunked and Portland bitched like a kicked dog. A 1 seed playing a 2 seed at home, holy Lady Vols Batman.
Kelly Mazzante. Mazzante and Tanisha Wright were the heart of the PSU defense in 2004, and they both ended up at 5-17 for the game, getting 14 and 16 points. UConn dared Mazzante to hit the 3 against their D and she could only manage a 1-8. She would have needed to hit just about all of them for the Lions to be in the vicinity of a win. If you can frustrate the opponent's top scorer early, you can often get them off track for the game and compound their issues by making them use offensive sets that they did not have to depend on previously.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kelly Mazzante. Mazzante and Tanisha Wright were the heart of the PSU defense in 2004, and they both ended up at 5-17 for the game, getting 14 and 16 points. UConn dared Mazzante to hit the 3 against their D and she could only manage a 1-8. She would have needed to hit just about all of them for the Lions to be in the vicinity of a win. If you can frustrate the opponent's top scorer early, you can often get them off track for the game and compound their issues by making them use offensive sets that they did not have to depend on previously.
That was the game where Barb Turner said she felt disrespected--and motivated--by the ESPN talking heads.

Reaction Score
That was the game where Barb Turner said she felt disrespected--and motivated--by the ESPN talking heads.

It's also the game where Maria Conlon had that great quote after various comments about Penn State having to play lower seeded UConn in Connecticut:

"We would have beat them in my backyard playing five on five," point guard Maria Conlon said.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Penn State Was correct about the offense at having to play lower seeded CT in CT. They were wrong about the solution, however. UConn should have been ranked higher than PSU.

Reaction Score
Maggie's parents (and I think many relatives) are PSU alumni. I believe her parents had very successful athletic careers at PSU. Caroline has reported that Maggie was totally committed to attend Penn State before she was even in High School. Attending UConn, or any other college than Penn State, was a non-starter for Maggie. Caroline never tried to recruit Maggie. As a friend, CD respected what she knew were Maggie's long time dreams. Geno got this message very clearly from CD. Thus -- no effort was made by Geno to recruit Maggie.

Reaction Score
COACH - hadn't seen that until this AM - very iinteresting and I thank you. Penn State loyalty runs deep and wide in PA, but I had not been aware of (or had forgotten about) Lucas and her connection. Seems like a wonderful kid and very talented player - UCONN material in my view, but seems to be following her dream. Stay well.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Stacy Dales! And she changed her tune after that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom