Our guy Hurley | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Our guy Hurley

Reaction Score
What's with all the tape? Looks like Jalen was in a boxing match and basketball practice interrupted his fight. Glad he's right handed. I'm luvin it, makes him look tough as nails. I'm sure its minor but anyone know what's up?

1538343723199.png

Reaction Score
I mean, Duke was light years better than URI. There was no match athletically at any position. I don't even think it's a data point.
The thirty (30) point loss (I think it was 30) to Joes on Senior Night was the loss that crushed seeding. That was a very concerning loss on many fronts from a team and coaching perspective for RI considering the seeding stakes that were involved. At that point there seemed to be distractions internally for some reason. The NCAA's are all about the big picture. Seeding and avoiding teams like Duke in the 2nd round are crucial if you want to advance deep. I think many here realize Hurley has a bit to prove on the sidelines (in game/and his own prep/see St. Joes).

Regardless (above) he is off to an amazing start on the recruiting front and his energy/work ethic right now is infectious. Which we had clearly lost from a coaching perspective (stating the obvious).

Reaction Score
What's with all the tape? Looks like Jalen was in a boxing match and basketball practice interrupted his fight. Glad he's right handed. I'm luvin it, makes him look tough as nails. I'm sure its minor but anyone know what's up?

View attachment 34806
He had to get stitches on his hand, he got a lasceration on it during basketball workouts. Minor injury but still enough to be cautious about it.

Reaction Score

View attachment 34806
Cut his hand and got stitches near pinky finger...believe he cut it in practice somehow when going to the rim

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The thirty (30) point loss (I think it was 30) to Joes on Senior Night was the loss that crushed seeding. That was a very concerning loss on many fronts from a team and coaching perspective for RI considering the seeding stakes that were involved. At that point there seemed to be distractions internally for some reason. The NCAA's are all about the big picture. Seeding and avoiding teams like Duke in the 2nd round are crucial if you want to advance deep. I think many here realize Hurley has a bit to prove on the sidelines (in game/and his own prep/see St. Joes).

Regardless (above) he is off to an amazing start on the recruiting front and his energy/work ethic right now is infectious. Which we had clearly lost from a coaching perspective (stating the obvious).

Remember our 30+ pt loss to Louisville in 2014?

Happens.

His team won the the A-10 last year.

Sure, he's got stuff to prove, like any coach movíng up. But an odd data point doesn't give me pause. Too reactionary.

Reaction Score

It also likely changed the way he’ll handle senior night ceremonies from here on out.

Reaction Score
Thanks for all the responses. I did not want to seem like I was over reacting, but was really curious just the same. I wonder if the players just were too distracted by all the Hurley to Uconn (or at the time Pitt was in play) news and that would explain the back to back 30 point losses perhaps....or again, RI was just too small and lacking in size vs Duke.

Reaction Score
Thanks for all the responses. I did not want to seem like I was over reacting, but was really curious just the same. I wonder if the players just were too distracted by all the Hurley to Uconn (or at the time Pitt was in play) news and that would explain the back to back 30 point losses perhaps....or again, RI was just too small and lacking in size vs Duke.

They weren’t back to back. Lost to St. Joe’s, won two games in the A10 tournament (including against St. Joe’s), lost in the championship game, beat Oklahoma, lost to Duke.

Reaction Score
Everybody loved all the Ollieisms. Taking the stairs....etc. It's nice Hurley has nice sound bites.

Stuff I'm looking for is, do we guard the tree point line, do we outlet rebounds to start the break, do we create turnovers.
I never liked the Ollieisms.

Reaction Score
I mean, Duke was light years better than URI. There was no match athletically at any position. I don't even think it's a data point.
And I think the point is that no matter how good a coach Hurley is he can’t compete at that level (no one can) without real talent, and that goes for URI or UCONN. What happens though in the tourney is that you do get under radar teams come up against the big boys now and then for runs.

Reaction Score
Remember our 30+ pt loss to Louisville in 2014?

Happens.

His team won the the A-10 last year.

Sure, he's got stuff to prove, like any coach movíng up. But an odd data point doesn't give me pause. Too reactionary.

Louisville #1 KP vs. Joes #116 KP...

The line on the Duke game closed around -9 Duke. I didn't expect a Calhoun like performance on the sidelines but you have to admit how he used his personnel was pretty head scratching.

I thought the search could have been more expansive at the time of the hire (I would not bet on my rationale for a more expansive search today though). In retrospect with the recruiting success and great vibe with team chemistry the anticipation builds to see how everything unfolds. Everyone on the board must be anxious for the season to start? College hoops is almost here again. Wow.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I never liked the Ollieisms.
I did. Never liked the lunatic Diaco's patter though.

Reaction Score
An absolute match-up nightmare. That four guard line-up they went out of necessity that season (definitely not a preference) had little chance against the size and athleticism Duke could throw out. The year before, they upset Creighton and went to the final seconds with eventual final four team Oregon.

What sticks out to me from that game is Stanford Robinson guarding Bagley and Carter.

Reaction Score
What sticks out to me from that game is Stanford Robinson guarding Bagley and Carter.

Brutal. Langevine gutted out last season with a sports hernia type injury that really limited him physically, and Berry (much as I love that guy) is slow as molasses. That was about it for size. A year from now, I imagine we will see a much more balanced team from Hurley, informed a lot by how the current bigs shake out. The freshman Harris and a healthy Langevine should make for a solid front court for this year’s URI team.

Reaction Score
Everybody loved all the Ollieisms. Taking the stairs....etc. It's nice Hurley has nice sound bites.

Stuff I'm looking for is, do we guard the tree point line, do we outlet rebounds to start the break, do we create turnovers.
I'll always appreciate Ollie for 2014. I'll appreciate Bazz and crew more because their effort and play was more meaningful than Ollie's performance.

That said, Hurley has a track record. Unlike Ollie he earned this position by winning and taking on bigger challenges. He has a resume. He has a history. He's won everywhere he's been. He wasn't give the keys at the 11th hour after being nothing more than an assistant. Take a look at his history. Nobody is guaranteed to win, but we have reason to trust that this is the guy we need right now. Not based on an interview, but based on his history.

Reaction Score
This University is TOTAL BULLSHIT for what it has done to KO. He brought us a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP for Christ Sake!!!!! This guy Hurley won't get us back to the Sweet Sixteen, you watch. We'll be here 5 years from now watching the mediocrity in the Poor AAC, and WISHING we never screwed KO, and has a True Huskie at the helm.

Reaction Score
This University is TOTAL Stop for what it has done to KO. He brought us a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP for Christ Sake!!!!! This guy Hurley won't get us back to the Sweet Sixteen, you watch. We'll be here 5 years from now watching the mediocrity in the Poor AAC, and WISHING we never screwed KO, and has a True Huskie at the helm.
NONSENSE

Reaction Score
This University is TOTAL Stop for what it has done to KO. He brought us a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP for Christ Sake!!!!! This guy Hurley won't get us back to the Sweet Sixteen, you watch. We'll be here 5 years from now watching the mediocrity in the Poor AAC, and WISHING we never screwed KO, and has a True Huskie at the helm.
Shut up Kevin

Reaction Score
Thank you for your interest in UConn basketball.

C

Chief00

Chief could never understand the disappearance of the outlet pass? Of course, you need to rebound first and that went away too.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Joins in June, makes 4th post ever at 3:47am 10 weeks later, uses odd capitalization, misspells, breaks a Commandment, triggers the profanity filter. Is there nothing this poster can't do?

Reaction Score
I am holding off until I see the team in actual game play against a top 20 team.

Reaction Score
In no way was my OP intending to put down Ollie or to say Hurley will have us back in the Final 4 this year.. At the end of the day, KO is a good guy and he will always have a certain place in the heart of all UConn fans, its impossible for him not to..

Just saying that the general sense of excitement is back in the air, for me, and its refreshing to hear Hurley talk about his basketball philosophy and about the players. :cool:

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score

Add to that, cut off driving lanes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom