Our guy Hurley | The Boneyard

Our guy Hurley

Reaction Score
After hearing the interview post first practice, coach really seems like an authentic guy who really knows what it takes to win at this level. He realizes that it will not happen over night, but can see the steps required to get back to the top. You can tell he already has built that foundation of having great relationships with the players. I would run through a brick wall for this guy! I genuinely feel excited again to watch UConn basketball! its been a while since I've had this feeling, and I'm excited its back! Baby steps, but I think we are on our way!

Reaction Score
To me, Hurley is coming across as Jim Calhoun Jr. Want to give up, fail, be a loser and have a bad attitude you might as well pack your bags with this coaching staff.

UConn's tradition has always been about team-play beating talent. You can not be in this program if you are 99%. All the way in or leave.

Reaction Score
Everybody loved all the Ollieisms. Taking the stairs....etc. It's nice Hurley has nice sound bites.

Stuff I'm looking for is, do we guard the tree point line, do we outlet rebounds to start the break, do we create turnovers.

Reaction Score
Everybody loved all the Ollieisms. Taking the stairs....etc. It's nice Hurley has nice sound bites.

Stuff I'm looking for is, do we guard the tree point line, do we outlet rebounds to start the break, do we create turnovers.

You can check the stats on his previous teams. They tend to both defend the three and create turnovers. Not sure why that would change.

Reaction Score

You clearly haven't been listening or don't comprehend what you're listening to. Hurley is the exact opposite of a "sound bite" guy. He is really detailed and naunced in conveying his apporach and doesn't use canned phrases.

Reaction Score
Tough to play a team that hounds every dribble, pass and shot. You wear out opponents by making their best players work hard on offense and defense. Putting a body and boxing out on every play takes a toll on opponents.
Hurley seems to get that and wants as a minimum to make teams wear out their ice baths after playing UConn.
Couple that with an offense and this could be fun to watch.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
As I said before - sad outcome for Ollie. But were he is now is his doing. You can debate "the rules" all you wanted as to the seriousness or not of those rules. I will agree NCAA rules can be bizzare/ outdate. But they are the rules and it was his job as head coach to know it and comply. UConn has a compliance office. If he wasn't sure, he should have asked. He didn't. He broke rules. His contract was clear as to any rule infraction. But the worse part for Ollie, he lied to the NCAA investigators to try and cover up his transgressions.

Does his poor record the last two years play into the firing? Of course it did.

Like it or not, I believe any change at a monitary settlement, let alone the full $10 million, is long gone.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
As I said before - sad outcome for Ollie. But were he is now is his doing. You can debate "the rules" all you wanted as to the seriousness or not of those rules. I will agree NCAA rules can be bizzare/ outdate. But they are the rules and it was his job as head coach to know it and comply. UConn has a compliance office. If he wasn't sure, he should have asked. He didn't. He broke rules. His contract was clear as to any rule infraction. But the worse part for Ollie, he lied to the NCAA investigators to try and cover up his transgressions.

Does his poor record the last two years play into the firing? Of course it did.

Like it or not, I believe any change at a monitary settlement, let alone the full $10 million, is long gone.
Are you even aware of what thread you are in?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The two coolest things that UConn basketball ever did was 1) run fast breaks after opponents' made baskets and 2) lead the nation in blocked shots. That's what UConn basketball was to me. Hope we can get back to being that kind of team.
I'm not gonna be like the guy who went TMI as Gaffney's OV was looking good, but I ve always loved the made free throws and end-of-game scoring shutdowns.

Reaction Score
I know he is a great coach but the only thing I am worried about is, and anyone can feel free to explain, but what happened in the Rhode Island/Duke game? Was it just an odd outlier as I thought RI would at least keep it close but they were thoroughly dismantled in that game. I am pumped for this season, 99% excited but that 1% (the Duke game) kinda scares me. I did not expect a repeat of 7th seeded WVirginia over Duke but not that blow out. Granted this is Uconn and that was RI but was that performance anything that should worry us in upcoming years going into March?

pj

Reaction Score
I know he is a great coach but the only thing I am worried about is, and anyone can feel free to explain, but what happened in the Rhode Island/Duke game? Was it just an odd outlier as I thought RI would at least keep it close but they were thoroughly dismantled in that game. I am pumped for this season, 99% excited but that 1% (the Duke game) kinda scares me. I did not expect a repeat of 7th seeded WVirginia over Duke but not that blow out. Granted this is Uconn and that was RI but was that performance anything that should worry us in upcoming years going into March?

I remember a good 16-0 UConn team getting blown out 88-59 by Kansas. KANSAS HANDS UCONN 1ST LOSS-AND IT'S A ROUT. Ray Allen, Donny Marshall, Doron Sheffer, Kevin Ollie, Travis Knight, Kirk King, Brian Fair, Rudy Johnson, Eric Hayward, Boo Willingham on that team. Routs happen even to very good teams with Hall of Fame coaches. You can't read anything much into one game.

Reaction Score
I remember a good 16-0 UConn team getting blown out 88-59 by Kansas. KANSAS HANDS UCONN 1ST LOSS-AND IT'S A ROUT. Ray Allen, Donny Marshall, Doron Sheffer, Kevin Ollie, Travis Knight, Kirk King, Brian Fair, Rudy Johnson, Eric Hayward, Boo Willingham on that team. Routs happen even to very good teams with Hall of Fame coaches. You can't read anything much into one game.

I was at Huskies for that game. Don't know what was harder to deal with the loss or my wife (fiancee then) when I fanally came home that night/morning

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I mean, Duke was light years better than URI. There was no match athletically at any position. I don't even think it's a data point.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
Team culture is everything. Tenacious effort on every play, boxing out on every play, understanding what a good percentage shot is, etc. and knowing that your teammates all understand this as well. Getting a group of kids to buy into this culture is only accomplished by a coach who knows what this looks like and knows what drills to use, what things to say, what buttons to push, and what standard of achievement is acceptable. Hurley appears to know exactly how to do this. His understanding of this is revealed in the thoughtful, precise language he uses to answer questions about his team and basketball in general. He reveals his insight into coaching people and the game itself every time I have heard him speak. As others have said, he is sincere, honest, charismatic and very insightful. He knows his craft. I am very confident we are in good hands. He reminds me a little bit of Geno in his understanding of how to get it done and his ability to articulate it (just without the playful arrogance that Geno has - and I mean that in a good way - I love Geno). Calhoun obviously has this as well, just a little less charismatic and a little more scary.

Reaction Score

An absolute match-up nightmare. That four guard line-up they went out of necessity that season (definitely not a preference) had little chance against the size and athleticism Duke could throw out. The year before, they upset Creighton and went to the final seconds with eventual final four team Oregon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom